Make every job count!

Kipp

Name
kip
People will only say no to your add on services for 3 reasons

1. You didn't even offer it

2. Their perceived value of the service did not exceed the price

3. They simply don't have the funds

It would be a safe assumption that most business owners are either trying to get their business off the ground or trying to grow their business to the next level.

The easiest way for a business to grow is to increase their sales on business they already have ... vs. finding new business.

Whether you are a single operator or a multi truck operation the point of contact with the customer is the most important revenue position in the business. It is important that you or the tech has the correct mindset when entering the home.

Here is a belief and a behavior you need to accept and act on.

Belief - Every customer will buy 100% of my add on services 100% of the time

Behavior - I will present 100% of my add on services 100% of the time

If your immediate reaction to those statements is negative, if you are already thinking of ways that that can't possibly be true, then I can tell you that you are your own worst enemy.

The fact is 100% of customers WILL buy 100% of your add on services, think about it if you offered all your add on services for $1 would they not buy them? Sure they would. Would you offer your services at that price? No, but that doesn't change the fact that the statement is true.

Let's go back and look at the three reasons a customer wouldn't buy

1. You didn't even offer the service - I would venture to bet that if you simply starting offering your services every time you would raise your ticket. If you are pre-judging what your customer will or will not want you are short changing yourself and guarantee you are costing yourself money. Be careful though if you go into a customers house and vomit your services all over them right out of the gate, this could not only cost you any add on sale at all, but also cost you repeat and referral business.

You also must be aware of the right time and place throughout your job to present your services...upsells should occur throughout the entire job, for work the same day and possible future work as well.

2. Their perceived value did not exceed the price - This is the area your will need to work on the most. Understand that there is a price at which every customer will buy.

So if you simply walk in a house and offer every service you have they will buy the services that in their mind have more value than the price your are charging. The problem is that most customers are not very educated in what your services can do for them, and they may have had negative experiences in the past that have created a belief and there for low perceived value of the service.

Your job is to raise that perceived value, as soon as you raise it higher than the price the customer will buy. You must become a master of presenting the features and benefits of your services to your customer.

In order for your presentation to have the maximum impact on the customer (increase perceived value to highest point possible) you should first take the time to understand your customers circumstances. I personally would present my services differently depending on if the customer was moving in, moving out, or had lived their for 20 years, pets, kids, etc etc. Different things are going to be important to the customer in each of those circumstances so shouldn't your presentation be directed towards whats important to the customers wants and needs?

The last reason people won't but 3. They simply don't have the money ... this is the only objection of the three that is actually a "real" objection. However I can tell you this even the customers that may use number 3 as an excuse if you approach 1 & 2 correctly most of them will turn out to buyers and only using number 3 as an excuse.

I have often compared sales to professional sports; the average time a first string football player spends on the field is about 30 minutes. Yet think about the thousands of hours that player spends preparing for those 30 minutes.

Those first 15 minutes with the customer are primetime...it's game on. The question is how prepared are you or your techs for that moment of truth?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
IMO, you also have to be practical though, i have seen some cleaners with like 20 different services listed and no synergy between the services.
Carpet/tile go very well together.

Also you can offer services though several different ways: demo, included on a custom presentation folder, back of your b-card, van lettering and of course talking to people and asking questions. Preferably all of the above, everyone absorbs information differently. Some customers do not want to chit chat but they will read every little marketing piece you give them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree! Where the disconnect comes is when you (or your tech's) start making price judgments for your clients. Just ask, let them decide if they want to purchase or not. There is zero chance when you make up mind games why they will just say no.

Kipp

Name
kip
Marty said:
Shouldn't number two be "the price did not exceed their perceived value of the service"?

No, it is the reason they DIDN'T buy....so if the price was lower than their perceived value then they WOULD buy...if the price is higher than what they think it's worth (perceived value) then they WON'T buy...

Makes sense?

Kipp

Name
kip
Juice said:
Slow down Kip I'm getting air sick. oh my...

Do you mind trotting through that again? LIKE!

Not sure if your joking but I'll bite....

Let's say your walking through the store, you spot a tool on clearance for half the price it normally is, you are very familiar with the tool, you have seen it for sale everywhere for twice the price. It is a tool you need. Your perceived value of this tool is twice the price you see it for sale right now...so you buy it, because your perceived value exceeds the price

Now you are walking through another store and see a box of depends for sale, you know your are almost out and if you don't replenish with more you could end up shitting your pants. The price though is twice that of what you get it at the store you normally shop at. So your perceived value is half that of what it is advertised for...even though your are risking an embarrassing situation you don't buy because your perceived value does NOT exceed the price.

Kipp

Name
kip
Shane Deubell said:
IMO, you also have to be practical though, i have seen some cleaners with like 20 different services listed and no synergy between the services.
Carpet/tile go very well together.

Also you can offer services though several different ways: demo, included on a custom presentation folder, back of your b-card, van lettering and of course talking to people and asking questions. Preferably all of the above, everyone absorbs information differently. Some customers do not want to chit chat but they will read every little marketing piece you give them.

Absolutely, good point...delivery is a whole other topic

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
uuum who told you I wear depends, that's an outright lie and I DEMAND YOU TAKE IT BACK.

Hell they cost too much, I'd rather sh*t myself! eat shit!

just kiddin on the demand.....and the sh*tting myself......least not since I was a child and maybe a road trip or two. LIKE!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
What you talking about Willis? Carpet cleaners ain't supposed to sell!!

Do what is on the order sheet as fast as you can and move on to the next job.

If you want to make more money get your ass moving faster.

If you have to sell you are just a bait and switcher.

Selling just pisses off your clients.

Client's don't have any exrta money now a days anyway.

Janitors don't sell, They clean!!!

(Just posting the other side)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom