Manual to Electric hose reel conversion

J

JS41035

I'm sure it has been done before. But I thought I would post a bit about the process.
I had a couple manual vacuum hose reels that came with a truck I bought.
The conversion was relatively easy. That being said, if you have zero welding or fab experience this might be very hard for you.

We bought 2 DC motors $180 each, enough for two reels
1" channel-20' section
2" angle iron
6" x 1/4 plate about a foot
Misc bolts for attaching motor to bracket
Roughly 12' of link belt, about $60.00 per reel
1.5" 5/8 pulley $10.00

Instead of a big push button momentary switch, we went with a standard Ford starter solenoid. I love the Butler electric hose reel push button, so we bought some gooseneck flexible tube, and put a small push button on the end. I soldered the wires to the switch, but you can buy momentary switches with both wires already attached on Ebay

J

JS41035

Have a fabrication shop roll the channel.
image.jpeg

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
J

JS41035

image.jpeg
Clamp the channel to the round tube and tack weld it on. Cut the channel overlap with portable bandsaw or cutoff wheel.

J

JS41035

Very simple bracket. Use a piece of paper and a very small ball peen hammer to make a template to transfer the motor's bolt pattern to the 6 in plate.
Put paper on motor. Softly tap on each bolt hole to transfer pattern to paper then cut out with utility knife. Basically the same method you use to custom make a gasket. Drill those holes and bolt motor to plate
image.jpeg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I bought mine, but I'd love to transfer my old one to an electric. I might take this thread to a metal fabrication shop and get them to custom make it for me.

Reactions: JS41035 and Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I was lazy and bought a Rokan electric reel. But I give you a lot of credit. I admire the guys that get out there and build it themselves. Nothing wrong with that!

Reactions: JS41035 and Jimmy L

Able 1

Name
Keith
Very nice!

What was the total cost? What motor are you using?

The one I made set me back around $450.. I used a sprocket and chain (still original chain with like 6-7 years on it).

Able 1

Name
Keith
Besides the breaker(push button) I haven't touched it ever...

We should all do a 200' race..:rockon:

Reactions: BIG WOOD
J

JS41035

I'm gonna make some stainless reels. I will definitely go the gear and chain route. A good friend of mine fabs a lot of food grade stainless stuff for a local factory. So I have some unique stuff to work with. I'd love an adjustable speed vac hose reel. Also stainless electric solution reels for supply and APO lines. Probably should just have Aerotech make some. But I'm a glutton for punishment

Able 1

Name
Keith
You could have them make them, but what fun would that be?!

When ever I see the reels with that big belt I think slow! 13-14" sprocket now you're talking..

I would guess, for me, I could do 200' in under 45seconds..

Shane T here made a power solution reel that is awesome!! I keep wanting to build one..

Reactions: Cleantechsk
J

JS41035

That was to convert a manual reel to electric. Not to fab one from scratch.
Paying a fab shop would probably make it not worth it.

J

JS41035

But to answer your question. I would pay a shop to roll the channel. Then take that to a small fab shop. I would guess about 200 max to weld on the channel and make bracket.

Reactions: jcooper

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
This is the real question everybody really wants to know but are too afraid to ask...

What kind of welder do you use?
Thanks
Capt.
p.s.
Cool little project. Nice job!

Reactions: Mikey P and JS41035

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Nice job, I would have done it differently for rigidity purposes on the bracket(fixed/welded) and motor mounting (slotted for all four mounting bolts) but the way you did it makes it easier to adjust tension and faster to install.

Are you going to do the other the same way?

J

JS41035

Well you would have to slot all 5 holes. Four mounting and motor shaft. Yeah I'm did the other the same way.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
four slots and a larger hole for the motor shaft, we have 2 that are this way and 1 that is the way your is. We like the all welded bracket with slots to be much more rigid and not trouble free.

Reactions: JS41035

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom