Marketing advice

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I coined a term years ago about marketing. “In a room full of blondes , you want to be the redhead”. You want to stand out in a crowd. Failure to do so will keep you in the middle of the pack.
There are many ways to do this in business. It can be as simple as a dynamic van wrap. Or a crazy slogan. Or a Purple Truck (brilliant move Ken). There must be a qualifying difference between you and your competition. You MUST name it, claim it, make it your own, and market the heck out of it!
Carpet cleaning can be difficult to do this in for the inexperienced or linear thinking. If you are incapable of doing this : Hire someone who is an out of the box thinker to help you. A little tip : DON’T put an emphasis on the type of equipment you use. I realize that you are proud of the $30k machine you bought that is so strong that it will hold a bowling ball : However the general public couldn’t care less.
Focus on your best asset! Call attention to it.
a) If you are ALWAYS on-Time - then stress it – promise it, give away free service if you are EVER late. Better yet- be creative and instead of following the rest of the pack (plumbers, ac companies who do this) give away a voucher for a free puppy from a animal shelter (might cost you $50 - $75) Then market it in everything that you do. Few people will ever redeem these but if they do : you get more business due to all the pee in the carpet!
b) If you are like the rest : create something that makes you different. A local plumbing company in Atlanta just painted everyone of his trucks pink and put the breast cancer ribbon on it. A portion of every job goes to that charity. BTW: his business has increased 112% over last years number and he attributes it solely to this.
c) Avoid negative statements as a form of marketing. Saying ‘We suck less than others” is very common in our business and sadly rarely works long term. Negativity = negative results. I personally don’t want customers that have had bad experiences with other cleaners. They are usually more of a headache than they are worth.
Hope this helps.

-Greg

Bob Foster

gregcole said:
I coined a term years ago about marketing. “In a room full of blondes , you want to be the redhead”. You want to stand out in a crowd. Failure to do so will keep you in the middle of the pack.
There are many ways to do this in business. It can be as simple as a dynamic van wrap. Or a crazy slogan. Or a Purple Truck (brilliant move Ken). There must be a qualifying difference between you and your competition. You MUST name it, claim it, make it your own, and market the heck out of it!
Carpet cleaning can be difficult to do this in for the inexperienced or linear thinking. If you are incapable of doing this : Hire someone who is an out of the box thinker to help you. A little tip : DON’T put an emphasis on the type of equipment you use. I realize that you are proud of the $30k machine you bought that is so strong that it will hold a bowling ball : However the general public couldn’t care less.
a) If you are ALWAYS on-Time - then stress it – promise it, give away free service if you are EVER late. Better yet- be creative and instead of following the rest of the pack (plumbers, ac companies who do this) give away a voucher for a free puppy from a animal shelter (might cost you $50 - $75) Then market it in everything that you do. Few people will ever redeem these but if they do : you get more business due to all the pee in the carpet!
b) If you are like the rest : create something that makes you different. A local plumbing company in Atlanta just painted everyone of his trucks pink and put the breast cancer ribbon on it. A portion of every job goes to that charity. BTW: his business has increased 112% over last years number and he attributes it solely to this.
c) Avoid negative statements as a form of marketing. Saying ‘We suck less than others” is very common in our business and sadly rarely works long term. Negativity = negative results. I personally don’t want customers that have had bad experiences with other cleaners. They are usually more of a headache than they are worth.
Hope this helps.

-Greg

There's usually one in every crowd..... :roll:

But we got a few here...... :p

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Mikey P said:
Off the life of me I can not think of one thing that makes your company stand out amongst all the other bait and swishes..

LOL! I stand out in a sea full of couponers BECAUSE I'm not a bait and switcher! Just a value provider being attacked by O&O's whom my business has zero effect on, yet it bothers them to no end......

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Thanks for the tips Greg!

I like the one about the pink ribbon and a portion going to charity best.

Not sure if a multi-truck operation is for me.

Seems like every time I hire someone it turns sour.

Complaints, lost equipment, payroll, not showing up for work, poor quality workmanship, etc etc...

What a freakin hassle...

If I have to put up w/ that crap I might as well get off my lazy a$$ and go do the work myself.

Think I've come to except the reality of being an o/o the rest of my days.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to make some serious bank off the backs of other people sweat but just can't seem to break through the glass ceiling.

I don't think their is anything wrong with taking pride in ones work, and wanting to use the best tools available, even if the tool costs $30k. I like being one of the best at what I do.

Name
Jesse
My Dave-ish looking friend Rob also really stands out. He says children and people in general are always staring at him. He thinks he looks like someone famous but isn't sure who.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
George III said:
Thanks for the tips Greg!

I like the one about the pink ribbon and a portion going to charity best.

Not sure if a multi-truck operation is for me.

Seems like every time I hire someone it turns sour.

Complaints, lost equipment, payroll, not showing up for work, poor quality workmanship, etc etc...

What a freakin hassle...

If I have to put up w/ that crap I might as well get off my lazy a$$ and go do the work myself.

Think I've come to except the reality of being an o/o the rest of my days.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to make some serious bank off the backs of other people sweat but just can't seem to break through the glass ceiling.

I don't think their is anything wrong with taking pride in ones work, and wanting to use the best tools available, even if the tool costs $30k. I like being one of the best at what I do.

I have a feeling it is the person in the mirror doing the hiring George. Learning how to hire, hiring the right people and making then accountable and rewarded for their work can be so fulfilling and profitable. It is also okay to be a one person show, just don't blame the employees~ it is rarely their fault.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
gregcole said:
Hope this helps.

-Greg

Our Gregory seems to be a little "PUFFED-UP" with his recent television coverage..... :roll:

How gracious of him to throw us some crumbs.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Foster

Greg, just for shits and giggles, what percentage of the total invoice net of tax do you pay your subs of the face value of the coupon basic offer?

And what percentage do you pay for any additional sales?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Bob Foster said:
Greg, just for shits and giggles, what percentage of the total invoice net of tax do you pay your subs of the face value of the coupon basic offer?

far more than I would like..... shiteatinggrin

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
gregcole said:
Mikey P said:
Off the life of me I can not think of one thing that makes your company stand out amongst all the other bait and swishes..

LOL! I stand out in a sea full of couponers BECAUSE I'm not a bait and switcher! Just a value provider being attacked by O&O's whom my business has zero effect on, yet it bothers them to no end......
You don't bother me till you start using the same terms and performance claims.
If I were in your area I'd be sending you lots of referrals, all the people that are looking for quicky clean, move-out clean, where they don't want to pay a decent rate.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Re: Marketing advice

gregcole said:
Bob Foster said:

far more than I would like..... shiteatinggrin

I assume more- that is sales 101 Bob.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Royal Man said:
The way I stand out is simple and effective.

It doesn't cost a dime.

It's very visible for the prospects to see.

It make me very unique in my area.

It brings instant trust and credibility.

It brings clients that don't even ask about my price.

It brings work every day.

See if you can spot it? The only cleaner wearing a crown?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... g+lincoln+

Back
Top Bottom