Michael Gerber

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hi guys,

I have the opportunity of seeing Michael next week for a half day session. ($295)

Has anyone here been to one of his sessions?

Would you recommend it?

I have the E-Myth (both early and revisited copies) and have read them both a number of times.

I've founded a lot of my business on some of his principles.

John

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
seen him a few years ago in houston. First half of his day had some great stuff in it. Second half of his day he spent trying to sell seats to his "dream room" for 10k. people I talked with were pretty disappointed it turned into an infomercial for his "dream room". he was great to listen to in the 1st half!! funny as hell too!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Doug D said:
seen him a few years ago in houston. First half of his day had some great stuff in it. Second half of his day he spent trying to sell seats to his "dream room" for 10k. people I talked with were pretty disappointed it turned into an infomercial for his "dream room". he was great to listen to in the 1st half!! funny as hell too!

That was my experience when I saw him as well. Great info and entertainmnt for the first couple hours, then sell, sell, sell~ I left by the end of the 3rd hour but some I knew stayed and said I was the smart one.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks all.

Doug and Ken, I imagine if you know that's what happens, then chances are I won't be disappointed.

I also don't know if there'll be a huge sell for the Dream Room due to the remoteness of NZ?

Finally, I've yet to go to a course that I got nothing out of. Often, you get as much from likeminded peers also attending as you do the course itself.

I'm trying to twist my brother's arm to attend as well and seriously thinking of just doing it. It's a small investment if I can pick up a few choice marketing ideas besides the fact it'll help me to be more focused. I have huge plans for this year and having just returned from holidays, am starting to implement some of them. Many are bits and pieces I've gleamed from here.

John

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
John Middleton said:
Hi guys,

I have the opportunity of seeing Michael next week for a half day session. ($295)

Has anyone here been to one of his sessions?

Would you recommend it?

I have the E-Myth (both early and revisited copies) and have read them both a number of times.

I've founded a lot of my business on some of his principles.

John
You know John, the E-Myth was (and still is) a great book. In fact, my guess is I have sold as many copies of the E-Myth as anybody since I've recommended it to thousands of SFS attendees over the last 14 years. BUT ...

I sadly have to agree with Ken and Doug re: Michael in person. I almost never do outside speaking gigs away from Jon-Don and the only reason I accepted the Houston deal a few years ago was for the chance to meet Michael Gerber. However, after I listened to him all afternoon high pressure shill hundreds of innocent and hopeful cleaners who had traveled from all across the States to benefit from his teaching I honestly did not want to shake Mr. Gerber's hand or even talk to him. So I didn't. Very sad ...

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS To be fair, I didn't arrive at the seminar till midday and missed the morning session Doug refers to. Michael may have been great. His afternoon "sales session" was pathetic and I felt embarrassed (even kind of physically nauseated) for someone who could have been a great and respected man.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Am glad that Steve agrees with me about Houston. somewhat amus Let us know how you liked it John!! He did have some great stuff though. Hopefully he will stick to that!! :roll:

Bjorn

the guru's are at the end of their stride when they reach the carpet cleaners

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
One thing Gerber never did was actually systemize his own company - so he has to hit the road in his 70's and one-by-one try to close sales in person. It's literally not practicing what he preaches. And he has got a mouth on him... I really didn't like the shouting style personally.

He wrote a great book... that he did not live by... but you will still get value from the concepts in that first book (I did not care for the second one) - and you can leave at lunch feeling like you got what you paid for. For $300... really, you will get that back easily.

And it's always good to get out of your own "element" and go to events to at least get some new perspective and meet some new people.

I remember the ABSOLUTE WORST seminar I ever went to, the author of Guerrilla Marketing (which I liked, and why I went), horrible... I ended up meeting some people who were great business contacts. He was worthless though, and at $1,000 a ticket the whole audience was livid.

Sometimes people write better than they teach. One who is as good as his book is David Allen (Getting Things Done). If you ever get a chance to see him, or get his system, that's a system I live by.

Have fun at it!
Lisa

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Well the seminar is over and here's the gravy.

The dreaming was mentioned just once as a request for anyone interested to stay back after.

I don't know if knowing the E Myth was an advantage or not. It meant from my perspective that it confirmed and reinforced the basic structure but it also probably gave an advantage over the others that hadn't read it so that I felt I got quite a bit out if it.

I did feel he repeated himself a lot and a number of times he lost his words and struggled with flow. Old age? May e that's harsh but he is 75. Or maybe he has always been that way.

Overall, absolutely glad I went.

I'll touch on specifics later. I left home at 5 this morning and it'll be after 11pm by the time I get home.

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Glad it worked out for you John.

Dan was with Doug in Houston and as much as he likes Gerber he was unimpressed with him that time. He said he felt like he paid just to get pitched about the dream room.

Dan's worse than I am, he actually said "Gerber was dreaming if he thought he could get me (Dan) to spend another $5,000.00 for the dream room."

Dan's rough!:mrgreen:

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
am glad it worked out for you John! Like I said earlier, he was pretty good in the morning for the most part. Could have done without the afternoon and would have rather listened to more of Steve Toburon :shock: !! Hey Richard, ask Dan about the waiter calling him KU! :lol: Still laugh at that one! :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom