Mineral deposits on pool tile

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Today I’m repairing my pool. Some tiles under the waterfall came off. Before I put them back, how do I clean them up? Soak in muriatic acid?
316975BB-E139-483B-9782-99807CB65E5F.jpeg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I had one gallon of MA in my storage building that sat for years on end. While it was there, any brass or metal tool or fitting corroded or built up rust on it. The brass fittings on my tools turned a weird brown color. And bubbles started forming on the plastic jug of the chemical. It's so weird how it was able to do all that damage even when the jug was tightly closed.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
What did those look like when new?
They’re getting better but not perfect yet. I soaked the tiles overnight in the acid. It ate through a bit of the deposits but not all. I’ll soak them in CLR next.

What I’ve learned so far. Muriatic acid is some nasty stuff. Wear breathing and skin protection. Also I learned this stuff is great for releasing grout. It made all the grout turn into sand and just fall apart off the tile. So, if you guys have a job with porcelain tile with grout haze everywhere, clean it with muriatic acid. Wear protection and ventilation is a must.

1E7A0F05-A80A-4C2E-91EE-D6D4C3E21433.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
They’re getting better but not perfect yet. I soaked the tiles overnight in the acid. It ate through a lit of the deposits but not all. Ill soak them in CLR next.

What I’ve learned so far. Muriatic acid is some nasty stuff. Wear breathing and skin protection. Also I learned this stuff is great for releasing grout. It made all the grout turn into sand and just fall apart off the tile. So, if you guys have a job with porcelain tile with grout haze everywhere, clean it with muriatic acid. Wear protection and ventilation is a must.

View attachment 102429
I’m diggin the socks homie

• Haha
Reactions: Willy P and Nomad74

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
They’re getting better but not perfect yet. I soaked the tiles overnight in the acid. It ate through a bit of the deposits but not all. I’ll soak them in CLR next.

View attachment 102429
Isnt CLR just sulphamic (sp?) acid? How strong did you mix your MA? Maybe mix lil bit stronger

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
$220 a month. He’ll mow all three lawns and trim the bushes and trees at my shop. I don’t know Spanish but I think that’s what I signed up for.

Reactions: steve_64

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I have not used muriatic acid indoors since 1993 when I learned that the fumes turn chrome plating into gunmetal blue. And it is permanent. Iirc, I was regrouting a bathroom on a Coast Guard base and thought the acid would etch the old stuff.
It did.

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom