Mixed Reviews

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Over the years and my time is pretty short compared to a lot of guys. I know this is just carpet cleaning but there just seems to be so much controversy over what tools work and what tools don't.
What causes some to have problems with wick back?, and the tools,chems are blamed, while others use the same tools, chems for years and have outstanding results?
The latest is over the Zipper wand. I am getting all kinds of mixed reviews on this tool.....granted I haven't used it yet so my own input is not here yet.
The first is, I does NOT clean going forward? Yet in every video I have seen from what I can tell it clearly is showing the carpet is being cleaned in the forward pass?
The statement is that the jet angle is only designed to clean effectively on the back stroke. The statement is due to the jet angles are only going towards the front glide. This in turn gives nothing for back glide. The statements are that there is no shear or proper solution impact from the jets.
I have had plenty of experience with HSK on wands, and my conclusion was that it looks cool, the idea sounds legit but the actual benefits were minimal.
The reason I say this is once the fiber is wet, is it not 100% wet no matter what shear angle it is hit at?
Also at high shear the carpet fibers are push over or laid down....thus trapping or making what soil that is in the carpet fibers harder to get out?
I also needed to increase the pressure output to get more impact on the carpet fibers when high shear was used? Resulting in more water used and waste tank fill ups.
So when I think about all this, it seems to come back to the actual PREP WORK done prior to the actual wand/rinse stage of the cleaning process.
Proper pre vacuuming of the carpet prior to any form of cleaning agents are applied to the carpet.
Proper identification of spots, and proper spot treatment of all trouble spots to help break them down.
Proper soil level identification to help choose the correct form of pre agitation to help break loose the soils, that stick or coat the carpet fibers, I say this due to the fact that a good vacuum should have taken away most solid debris, the majority of what is left is just stuck to the fibers as OILS, or SUGARS that can form a bond with the carpet fibers.
So after all this RANT...what is the the Wand/Rotary/Zipper's job? In my cleaning experience these tools, if proper prep work is done.... is to do a final rinse of the carpet fibers.
I have noticed that with proper prep, the final rinse can be done very well and not need a rotary a lot of the times.
The only time I have to go to the RotoVac is when, my pre vac is just pulling tons of heavy soil from the carpet, and I know there is still more there so, it is the second punch to help pull what was left behind...but this is on the extreme filth levels.
So I guess what I venting about is, prep work can help on so many levels, Stubborn stains, more heavy soil removal, and dry times, due to the fact that less crazy pressure is needed, this leaving the backing in a more acceptable moist condition, not soaked from the excess effort of trying to do what proper prep work would have done.
So the Zipper that is coming to me....IS NOT THE HOLY GRAIL, I believe it is going to be a very, very productive rinsing tool that will compliment all the hard prep work that we took the time to do.
Thanks for reading my rant

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Some from guys that tried it but I think mostly from bitter speculators. I'm just making a rant, because there is no one magical tool....close maybe. A lot of people get suckered but, they seem to forget money doesn't grow on trees, and carpet just doesn't magically come clean.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't mind the critics because they might bring up a good point that I may have overlooked. However if they have no experience cleaning with the machine or tool then I'm dismissing what ever they say.

I place value in those that use the machine or tool daily and give honest opinions of its operation. Too many people with agendas to listen anyone else.

Reactions: Mark Saiger
Name
I'm Rick James
I just made the choice between the zipper and a rotary extractor.. and I bought the rotary because of they just dig out the embedded soil so much faster than the zipper. With agitation being one of the important parts of cleaning.. the rotary is king in this department. The zipper is a great tool, but relies on the actual jet spray to cause the agitation.. which is all that is needed in a lot of carpets we clean.. but I personally wanted something that digs deep and I also got a new 15 inch Trex for $1400. I'm going to get a zipper wand eventually but loving the trex and the red headed step child of a wand.

Name
jack zerkie
Wow I.m glad I,m dumb because I have ALL the toys and use Wanda the most. Each tool helps. move the job easier. I used my RX 20 over many years but when there is NO power I use the zipper. Each tool has it,s job . I try to work as smart as possible. The most important thing to me is a great pre spray and lots of it and dwell time. When you look down you will know what kind of carpet cleaner you are. jz

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It's been so important that I hang out here a bit and go to a couple MB events so I can get to know the ones who post regularly.

2-3 K is a lot of money for many of the top tools but I don't know where I'd be without a couple of them!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
2-3 K is a lot of money for many of the top tools but I don't know where I'd be without a couple of them!
It is a lot but as you've already found out it is worth every penny when it makes you more productive, saves your back, cleans better than a standard scrub wand. :cool:

We've used wands for more then 4-decades but there are better ways to clean. Don't be a caveman.

Porkchop present company excluded, you can't help who you are. :winky:
95cb1f08-2c5c-42f1-8375-4bad134405f7_zps3py71kq3.jpg

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I remember Mike pointing out the order that we purchase these tools and he was right. I don't think the order will be the same for everybody out it should be considered by everyone.

I will buy a Zipper but I think a CRB needs to come first for me. This is largely because I already own a Cimex.

Reactions: Big Jim

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It is a lot but as you've already found out it is worth every penny when it makes you more productive, saves your back, cleans better than a standard scrub wand. :cool:

We've used wands for more then 4-decades but there are better ways to clean. Don't be a caveman.

Porkchop present company excluded, you can't help who you are. :winky:
View attachment 5845
There is no other tool that makes the most out of our very expensive Truckmounts more than a rotary extractor. Most of my biz is residential so it's a must for us.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
No need for debate.....

Different strokes, for different folks. We all have personal preferences and things that work best for us, but may not for another person. Everyone should try (anything new) for themselves and form their own opinion. It's not rocket science.... (get the reference....? hee hee)

Reactions: Mark Saiger

hogjowl

Idiot™
The only problem with the Zipper is the hype. It's a great tool, in the RIGHT situations. However, like all the board fads, you have those who constantly talk it up to the point that all truth and reason are lost. It's like a bunch of crack users talking about a new source.

The Zipper is a wonderful tool on commercial, and is marginally useful on empty residential. It is not all it's touted to be on occupied residential. Sure, you'll see those who argue this point, but they are always those who spent their last penny on the Zipper and don't have a rotary extractor.

If your market is residential, buy a rotary extractor first.

I have a Zipper and the curve to love as been steep. I used it yesterday on a commercial job in a country club and it turned a nightmare job into a breeze. I've used it on countless residentials where I wanted to stick it up Saigers ass ... sideways.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have a Zipper and the curve to love as been steep. I used it yesterday on a commercial job in a country club and it turned a nightmare job into a breeze. I've used it on countless residentials where I wanted to stick it up Saigers ass ... sideways.
I agree with you need a RE BUTT I don't agree the Zipper is only for commercial. I also disagree about a learning curve. Man it is like saying you need to learn how to use a scrub wand....wait maybe YOU do. :winky:

Its been a breeze cleaning with the Zipper both residential & commercial. I really don't know what that curve is that you speak of? Please Splain it to me Lucy! ;)

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've cleaned with it on both residential & commercial.

I's knows whats I'm do'en
fooker!
smiley-angry039.gif

Reactions: hogjowl

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
The only problem with the Zipper is the hype. It's a great tool, in the RIGHT situations. However, like all the board fads, you have those who constantly talk it up to the point that all truth and reason are lost. It's like a bunch of crack users talking about a new source.

The Zipper is a wonderful tool on commercial, and is marginally useful on empty residential. It is not all it's touted to be on occupied residential. Sure, you'll see those who argue this point, but they are always those who spent their last penny on the Zipper and don't have a rotary extractor.

:lol: (closet thing I could find to say funny)
I agree with you on this one, I don't think it will be the ultimate tool but I am looking 100% forward to using it. I have several accounts that I do believe it will save time....how much well not sure yet. One is a gym and we have always pre scrub and wand it out. The wand takes a ton of energy so I do believe the zipper with the way it appears to maneuver around things looks to be a winner. It also appears that it will be easy enough if, my wife comes along that she could operate it, she actually does a much better job than I do....I tend to rush a bit, she can run the wand but only with a hole glide any other glide and it kills her.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
jack zerkie
I have a $ 3000 orbot that I never use because I LOVE my truckmount more than my wife because it works and make MONEY for me. I never learned to use the orbot so it,s covered up waiting. . jz.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
that post was WAY too long for me read, Conway

board de Jour products take on a life of their own .

never used the Zipper, but no stranger to drag wands and used them for years .
Only thing i know about the Zipper is the quality of the build ...quite impressive in a world of $500 PLASTIC upholstery de jour tools

as far as wick backs and such..97.68% of those are due to operator error..not so much the tools

.L.T.A.

Reactions: Bucey and dgardner

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
It IS the best built tool I have ever purchased in this industry. The thing is a tank!

Holy ****. Seriously. (I've never cursed on this forum before).

Marty said something positive with NO snide remarks.

I may just have to let him suck my painted piggies.

Reactions: TimM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom