Modifying a truck box...?

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Today I take delivery of a 1990 Isuzu NPR with a 14ft box (7ft tall)
Got it for 1300.00, even though its in immaculate shape and the engine/trans was REBUILT 20k highway miles ago!

The only thing I don't like is how TALL the box is, along with the roll up door in the back and lack of side door.

I would love to modify the box, add a side door like aerotech/vortex, and change the rear roll-up door to swing out doors that hold shelving,
Also chop the top down to just under 6ft (im 5'7 and could still stand up in it).

Has anyone here done and chopping on there box?

TimP

If it were me I'd do the side door thing.....leave the height and leave the roll up back door. I'd Just add shelving on the sides. Many guys hate the back door shelving on the vortex, plus the added cost isn't worth the effort. As far as the height you can add more stuff in shelves and fill up the space. But that's just me.

Good luck on your new project!

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
If you don't like the height because of wind resistance, look into getting one those fiberglass deflectors for the front of the box. Seems that would be a lot easier and less cost than lowering the box.

John Watson

contact the mfg of your box and see if he has parts to convert. Very expensive journey and risky. I would suggest what Tim said. an another alterntive is find a box the size you want and swap possibly trade your for it.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Thanks guys, I guess it would be allot better for air movers etc with the extra height, and I could just live getting a new door on the side.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I would consider the cost of those modifications over just ordering a new box with what you want.

I have two such trucks with the same height (11' overall) and wouldn't give up the standing room height! You'll get used to it, and value the space.

I'd keep the box and add a side door!

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Turns out this is a 94 model!!!! LOL I STOLE this thing!

Yeah I'm going to go with a side door only, but id like to hear from someone who's installed one on there own.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Roll up doors are not really all that hard to do ...I have done a few on other trucks before..for me ..getting a good spring balance was always the hardest......One of these days I am going to replace my barn doors on the back with a roll up......

The best advice I can give you is check...double check...and for shits and grins..check again...
you only have one shot at this and once you cut that big gaping hole in the side of your new truck and if you messed it up...your S.O.L......

Bob Foster

It might be cheaper and easier for you to find another box and sell yours. They are around. You can buy a new box with your spec for under 6 grand.

TimP

Jim Martin said:
Roll up doors are not really all that hard to do ...I have done a few on other trucks before..for me ..getting a good spring balance was always the hardest......One of these days I am going to replace my barn doors on the back with a roll up......

The best advice I can give you is check...double check...and for shits and grins..check again...
you only have one shot at this and once you cut that big gaping hole in the side of your new truck and if you messed it up...your S.O.L......

I can't tell you how many times installing Tile or Laminate that I've cut something wrong......very good advice when it comes to cutting. I almost always tripple check when it's important. Hell I'd bring the new door and put it up to the van and make sure it fits within the marks if I was doing it myself.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I stuck with what my mechanic said....and he has fixed 100s of box truck type trucks..(his landlord for his shop is into buying hceap and selling high...thus he buys wrecked ones and redoes them)

sides were not meant for roll ups...the tension the springs put on it becomes an issue after a while...

so i had a trailer door put in....had 3 options

A. buy the one they had and they installed it $500 (it was a trailer side door they ordered, and no one picked up)

B. order one the size I wanted and wait 6 weeks...$900

C. have them custom build one to my size done within the week $1200

I went use the one in stock...

looks like it was suppose to be there, slight change because it is alum. door instead of the FRP side...but not like that garage door thing we saw a while ago

Walt

Get the new box with the money you save. The height of a Vortex is the right height for residential work unless they don't have trees where you live.

Trade the old one out on ebay or craigslist.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Exhaust is coming in through the rear roll up doors on my spare box van. The roll up door is trashed anyway. I’m wondering if swing doors with weather seal around them would help. I’m actually going to clean at a trailer factory tomorrow, so I’ll ask them while I’m there.

Any thoughts?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I should remove you from this forum for bumping a 14 year old thread....
Is that a bad thing to do?

I'm really getting exhaust sucking in my cab when I roll down the windows. I wasn't feeling too good last week from it and my A/C isn't working. It's going to get a new ac compressor next week, but I also need to find fix on this chimney effect that happening.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I noticed at the trailer manufacturer I cleaned today that some of their trailers had this nice pull down ramp door. I think that'd be better than this old roll up door I have. I'm gonna reach out to them to see if they can make one for my little box van and install it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
It's too late MAtt. The exhaust already caused you brain damage. I say carry on and ride it out.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When attempting to reduce height its better to cut off BOTTOM edges of the box. Still a big job.
Reduce height? Are you referring to the conversation 14years ago? I commented on this thread, because I'm needing to replace my rear rollup door. I'm thinking a pull down ramp door might be a good replacement

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Exhaust is coming in through the rear roll up doors on my spare box van. The roll up door is trashed anyway. I’m wondering if swing doors with weather seal around them would help. I’m actually going to clean at a trailer factory tomorrow, so I’ll ask them while I’m there.

Any thoughts?
Wait you bought Ashley 🚛 hahahah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom