Moisture barrier/spill guard padding

Name
R.J. Povio
Man o man what a pain in the ass to extract moisture barrier pad from a sump pump malfunction in a basement. I had 700 sq ft of the carpet to pull up and then flip pad over to extract with a flash xtractor. You cannot extract that pad from the top of the carpet (like the flash xtractor claims). This is my first time dealing with this type pad (we do not specialize in flood restoration, but do it if people ask).

The strangest part was that of the 700 sq ft of flooded area, only about 100 sq ft of the carpet was wet. That pad works so good that the water hardly got the carpet wet, and no musty smell at all. The custy and I both thought it was only wet in a couple small areas. Luckily I pulled up the carpet and pad to place blowers under for drying. That pad (all of it, wall to wall) was soaked!!! The whole 700 sq ft of it. I had no idea judging from the top of the carpet. Even if you stomped on the carpet to listen for a "skwishy" sound you could not hear it. That pad is really durable, it never fell apart from extraction (unlike conventional pad). Very heavy too (before and after extraction).

I am wondering if anyone has experience with extracting this type of pad? Is there a better way to do it?

I just wanted to share my experiences with some of the newbies on Mikeysboard as well. Definitely check or ask if a moisture barrier pad was installed....I would definitely charge more for extracting this type of padding in the future.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Shane T said:
How does one know this pad from the conventional pad? Does it look different?

You WILL know after clawing and extracting, when you pull back the carpet for drying, the pad will still be soaked underneath. We have started checking jobs before extracting takes place. Either way, you have to extract both the carpet, then pull it back and extract the pad. My opinion is that this new padding will trap moisture under the pad, between pad and concrete. It doesn't let the carpet "breathe". This stuff just sucks.

I just sub as the extractor, while another W/D company dries the structure and carpet. They have been removing and replacing the moisture barrier pad with new pad, with the insurance companies approval.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Shane T said:

It's printed on the topside of the pad.

A little more expensive, but still cheaper (and quicker) to replace than to dry out.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Shane T said:

when you go to cut it out and it sounds a little crinkely.....thats the plastic barrier....

then when you lift it up 10' from where the carpet was damp, and this thing is still soaked :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ask me how i know :x :x :x :x :x :x

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
ron the problem is when a dog pisses instead of staying in that area it hits the plastic and spreads out big time..
a small pee spot becomes huge pretty quick..

not good stuff in my opinion..

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I always disengage a corner of a carpet with pad to inspect the pad and take a temperature reading of the floor to determine a drying strategy. In your situation I would have removed the pad for a couple of reasons.

1, a sump pump malfunction would likely be considered a category 2 loss. The IICRC (Clean Trust) industry standards state the pad should be removed on a category 2 loss. If the job was ever reviewed by a knowledgeable person I would not want to be in the position of explaining why I did not follow industry standards or charged to dry something that should have been removed.

2, As Johnny said, considering the extra time and effort it takes to thoroughly extract the pad and the extra time and equipment needed to dry the pad, it is more cost effective to just replace it.

If you are going to do flood restoration, read the IICRC S-500 third edition and take a couple of water damage restoration classes. Then buy some moisture meters, it is much cheaper than getting sued.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom