Mold on upholstery.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am going to clean some upholstery that was in a mold contaminated home.
The actual piece never actually had mold on/in it, however the client wants it cleaned.

I explained to client that cleaning will rinse things out, however it will not kill or completely remove the spores (they are always present in the environment) and client understands. All he wants is a good rinse.

1) Is there a mold/mildew treatment that may do more? If yes what's the name of the products and are they allowed in CA?

2) Do you think it is necessary?

Thanks

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
If the piece is colorfast you could rinse it with Microban Disinfectant spray...its the blue label Or, Benefect which is a Botanical Disinfectant.

Necessary ? Thats hard to really determine without testing.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ofer Kolton said:
I am going to clean some upholstery that was in a mold contaminated home.
The actual piece never actually had mold on/in it, however the client wants it cleaned.

I explained to client that cleaning will rinse things out, however it will not kill or completely remove the spores (they are always present in the environment) and client understands. All he wants is a good rinse.

1) Is there a mold/mildew treatment that may do more? If yes what's the name of the products and are they allowed in CA?

I don't know about CA, but I use Sporicidin Disinfectant down under.

2) Do you think it is necessary?

When you wet the fabric with whatever liquid you decide upon, any mould spores should then become visible and apparent.

Thanks

Hope this helps.

Shorty down under

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If it's "settled spores" you're trying to address then you'll be much better off removing them dry with a HEPA vacuum. Once you've throughly cleaned and dried the upholstery there would be no real reason to apply a product to kill spores that are no longer in elevated concentrations.

However if the homeowner wants you to just ease their mind I'd use a product that leaves no odor and little residual. No point in turning the solution into a problem. :shock:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Steven he lives in the communist republic of california he doesn't get to use "Blue". Hepa vac and clean is all he should need to do as Richard said. No real need to spray any "life killer" on it. Besides, Ofer do you have your pesticide license? If not don't offer to spray any, would suck to get sued over cleaning a sofa.

Ofer I would suggest checking with the state regs on "biocides" I am sure they are more extensive then they are here in Utah and ALL biocides are classified as pesticides and you must have a pesticide applicator license to apply them for ANY reason (here in utah) which makes me believe it is worse in The CR of C..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Dang John. I don't have a pesticide license. I am lucky to have my driving license.

Are you dissing the lovely, sunny wonderfully liberal state of Northern CA?

I tried Texas for a year and a half, and let me tell you:
Nothing makes the heart grow fonder of California, than being in Texas.

As far as I am concerned Rick Perry can have it.
They can succeed.
The Mexicans can re-claim it.
They should, after all we did steal it from them :p

Thanks all for the valuable info. We can use Benefect, I just hate the smell.
Does Benefect actually work on spores?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Big Star said:
If it's "settled spores" you're trying to address then you'll be much better off removing them dry with a HEPA vacuum. Once you've throughly cleaned and dried the upholstery there would be no real reason to apply a product to kill spores that are no longer in elevated concentrations.

However if the homeowner wants you to just ease their mind I'd use a product that leaves no odor and little residual. No point in turning the solution into a problem. :shock:

I agree with the Kansas Star.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Does Benefect actually work on spores?
:shock: Yes it does BUT mold spores can still be allergenic and toxicgenic to the right/wrong person.

Removal is your best course of action when dealing with mold, inspite of the fact that the homeowner wants to see something killed. :roll:

I agree with the Kansas Star.
:lol:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have often compared the idea of killing mold to killing mice in the home. It may be a plus that they are dead, but I would much rather remove the problem than have dead mold (or dead mice) around. Dead things can still cause problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom