More Prop Management Fun

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
Another $450 yesterday for a tub and sink. Took 3 hours, over 2 of those were in the prep. I cannot stress the prep enough on this work. These two had been glazed one time previously and most had already come off. I used a window razor to remove the rest. Be sure to place a towel on the edge of the tub after cleaning, you do NOT want your skin to come in contact with the cleaned tub, as the epoxy will react with the oils from your body. I am going back Monday to give these another coat, and caulk (about 1 hour) and do another tub on the next floor.

cleaningtub016.jpg

cleaningtub015.jpg

cleaningtub017.jpg

cleaningtub018.jpg

cleaningtub006.jpg

cleaningtub019.jpg

cleaningtub020.jpg

RandyHilburn

Just a few quick questions:
Why not remove the caulk and clean up the moldy tile as part of the prep work?
Are you brush paint the coating? Why not use a HVLP sprayer?
What kind of guarantee do you give on your refinishing work?

Thanks!

G

The can says "brush on"is that how you are applying it?Is it as simple as cleaning very well then recoating?Where do you buy the coating?Makes a hell of a difference.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I just did a quick google on the product and it seems to be good stuff. From what I've read, the spray on leaves an orange peel finish and a bit of a bear for overspray and the brush on very faint brush marks making it the choice. Nice job, but you should have hid the label, shot a vid and sold a "system" for $1500. :wink:

RandyHilburn

Hey Jerry,

We're using a three stage turbine Graco HVLP sprayer (bleeder gun w/ remote cup). We shoot an EP Acrlic ordered from IntegrityCoatings.com. When mixed appropriately, the finish is as smooth as porcelain (no orange peel or brush marks).

You can spray each coat in under two minutes, with dry time between coats almost immediate (depending on weather conditions). The product dries very fast. You could probably spray three coats on the tub and the surround, before a brush painter could finish half the tub. The luster of your results would also be significant. No wait time between coats and never a need to return the next day. No sanding and/or buff-out brush strokes to achieve a show room finish.

[We use a 3M M 3000 Masker to block-off the area around the tub and the floor in front, so that overspray is not an issue. Masking time is probably 3 to 4 minutes. Spray cup/gun clean-up faster than washing up brushes.]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom