Most Powerful Rotary Jet Extractor

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I posted this on another forum. (Mikey's name came up)

"I just read this thread. It is sometimes hard to decipher. Some say they like or don't like, but there is no explanation, or an insufficient one. But maybe I am just too anal.

For instance, the Rotovac comes in many versions. I have a twin head original, and a new quad jet 360i. There is also the three jet version of the 360i, and the XL model. The jet spacing is often set up differently.

I immediately changed my jet position for the quad 360i because it came with two long nipples and two short nipples. The short nipples positioned the jets so that the vacuum shoe would not pick up all the spray from those two jets. I changed the two short nipples to match the longer nipples of the other two jets. Now all 4 jets have their spray picked up by the vacuum slot, so that there is no overwetting.

Some 360i's have the jets tucked into the swoop shoes so that there is no overspray, and the jets are positioned closer to the vacuum shoes. It seems that the carpet is left a little dryer with one pass, though I usually give a dry pass anyway. Probably not really an issue.

Others have the jets positioned about evenly between the vac shoes. The advantage is that the spray pattern is wider because it is not interupted by the swoop of the vac shoes, and this makes it possible to clean closer to walls and has a little wider cleaning path. No overspray that I noticed either.

From reading these threads over the years, the general consensus is that the quad jet 360i is far superior in cleaning and drying than the 3 jet version. Obviously there is one third more cleaning with the extra cleaning jet and vac slot. The better drying of the Quad over the tri head 360i appears to be because the tri head rides up on 3 nobs for stability, and the quad rests the vac shoes on the carpet and dig in better, which not only aids in drying but in cleaning deeper.

The Hoss has some good points, but it must be set up right.

The T-rex should clean a little better than a 360i quad and likely quite a bit better than a 360i 3 jet, due to the six jets that are staggered and covered by longer vac shoes. Then there is the difference in the floating head and the original head to consider.

The Rotovac XL only has the same 4 jets and vac shoes as the 360i quad. I saw little advantage to the XL as it is now over the 360i Quad, which has a more concentrated cleaning path due to smaller circumference, and thus slightly slower speed of the shoes across the carpet. Now if and when the Rotovac XL adds a 5th cleaning head (there is room for it) that would make a difference worth talking about. However, right now it is 30 pound heavier than the 360i quad. Also, a little less weight should result in less stress on carpet seams and possibly make it easier to use on loose rugs.

The most powerful rotary jet extractor is the one you are willing to use the most. The 360i quad might be that unit. I have read that it is easier to swing around, and definately easier to pick up or bring upstairs, especially for us old guys. I started steam cleaning in 1970 and will be 65 this September.

BTW, I use my twin head RV on stairs sometimes. Works good. It cleans exceptional, and has its advantages as well, but it is more work, and seems to leave the carpet wetter than the 360i quad.

Anyway, it would be helpful if you would provide a little more useful information in your posts. It will at least help me figure out if your experience is useful (since I don't have all the experience some of your do with different tools) and it will give you more credibility.

Much of what I just typed is conjecture based upon what I read and from just thinking about the design differences in Rotary Extractors. So keep your comments coming.

Loren"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey P

Administrator
The XL is far superior to the 360i in handling, efficiency and results.

Time to trade up Loren, hate to tell you..

And time to stop wasting your time asking portable goofs like Deron for his worthless and self hyped opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
The XL is far superior to the 360i in handling, efficiency and results.

Time to trade up Loren, hate to tell you..

And time to stop wasting your time asking portable goofs like Deron for his worthless and self hyped opinion.

I imagine the Handling you speak of is that the XL has a larger circumference or that it is heavier? Maybe more stable? It seems I have heard the 360i is easier to handle, but maybe not in the same you are thinking of.

Efficiency. In what way. Better cleaning, faster cleaning? Again, the only difference I see by looking at the bottom of both the XL and 360i is the spacing of the vac shoes. The XL has a larger exterior cleaning path, but also has a larger hole in the middle that does not clean, compared to the 360i.

Results. Meaning leaving the carpet dryer, or cleaner? There must be some reason I am not understanding about why that would be so.

As I recall, you used the 360 3 jet at one time, and I assume you have used the 360i 4 jet some. I have only used the twin original RV and the 360i. BTW, thanks for selling it to me. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Everyday I think how much I love it. I may have to clean carpet for a few more years yet due to the ease of using it.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
Loren I wish I could give you a scientific reason why the XL is better. Like you I have had every to to vacation tool in all their various versions.

You welcome to come down and try it for yourself.

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am waiting for mine as well, hopefully they will be here soon!

Can't wait to try them.

Wait until you get them and plant it on some CGD....it does a great job.....it like gliding over ice....

[video=youtube_share;VGcF6IJNPYw]http://youtu.be/VGcF6IJNPYw[/video]

P6040261_zps13da0d9e.jpg

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I really would like to get my hands on them and on to my units. I like upgrades to machines and continual support of a a unit, as it show investment by the manufacturer to keep striving to make the best possible unit they can make.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

John Olson

Name
John Olson
All rotaries are 10% off and you get free shipping on the hoss during our CAD. Also Rotovac donated a $400 off coupon for the L&L society someone will get a super sweet deal on a Rotovac. Anyone attending our cad will have a super sweet deal on the hoss only available if they demo the hoss with Mr.Studebaker :)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Damn I have two sets in stock. But those are going to anyone that buys a hoss at the show FREE...I think the shoes are $150ish retail I'll check tomorrow and post the price but if you need me call me and order some and you will get the cad discount..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Jim can you clean them up so as to give me to some perspective to the way these shoes handle wear?

Pics of them clean sure would be nice!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
When you buy a hoss can you pick which shoes come with it?

Or how does it work with having three different sets available?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim can you clean them up so as to give me to some perspective to the way these shoes handle wear?

Pics of them clean sure would be nice!

P5090244_zps966e726e.jpg

I hit a tack strip and got a few scratches..but these things are tough...these have been on the Hoss since February.......used 3 or 4 jobs a day......

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I bet I could order them with one set or the other but I'd think you would want the OG set just incase you damaged the Teflon set and was SOL on a job. Teflon can and has and will break at the least opportune time. I wouldn't want to order a hoss with only Teflon shoes unless I ordered. Second set at the same time.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
When you buy a hoss can you pick which shoes come with it?

Or how does it work with having three different sets available?

I think the machine comes standard with the metal ones.....you want the square ones....the rounded ones are for portables.....

P5090245_zpsb6c78056.jpg

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Loren I wish I could give you a scientific reason why the XL is better. Like you I have had every to to vacation tool in all their various versions.

You welcome to come down and try it for yourself.

Well, I don't know how much science is involved, but common sense and reason is all I am asking. I am going on vacation tomorrow (staying on the ocean at Avila Beach and Pismo Beach)and could come by and see your tools in action, but my wife thinks our 30th anniversary should not include carpet cleaning related activities. :(

Back to Rotary Jet Extractors. I read of an experience, I think it was at a resturant, where two cleaners used there rotary jet extractors on the same carpet job. The 360i was out-cleaning the Hoss, and the Hoss's owner was considering selling it and buying the 360i.

As I was just looking at the pictures posted of the Hoss, I can't understand why the spray bars are staggered to a position where the vacuum shoe does not pick up the full length of the spray behing each spray bar. It would be easy to adjust the spray bars so that would happen.

As I am thinking about the differences in the RJE's, the bottom line is they all do a fine job and we are just splitting hairs, so to speak.

However, from a common sense point of view, if I was to place a bet on which would clean the fastest and the best, I would put my money on the Mytee T-REX. Why? To start with, 6 jets and 6 vacuum slots. Then three are staggered toward the center and three toward the outer edge, thus a larger area is being cleaned underneath the disc. This only works, in my opinion, because the vacuum slots are longer and will immediately pick up the solution spray of all 6 jets. I am not sure about the slot's shape and how it effects cleaning, but doubt it is a big factor. And of course there is the Flex Star attachment that will better clean commercial glue down with the usual uneven floor.

Perhaps it is the AC motor of the Rotovac XL and the Hoss that some feel make a differnce, though I am sure the carpet and soil know no difference. Maybe the motor is stronger and will last longer (though likely more expensive and perhaps heavier). Of course you lose the variable speed, but I always use high speed on my 360i anyway.

The Hoss has the uneven vac shoes, which sounds good in the official video, but I have heard pros and cons about it's drying and smoothness, depending upon the type of carpet.

Do I sound like I know what I am talking about? LOL I don't. I have just been reading these threads for years and forming opinions from all you guy's posts. I doubt there is anyone that is fully experienced with all RJE's (and their different set ups) on various carpet types to form a definitative answer, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: dealtimeman

hogjowl

Idiot™
If that was Jim's Hoss in the video, (I'm not sure because the guy appeared to have a butt, so it wasn't Jim) it was good to finally see a Sapphire unit putting off some heat.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If that was Jim's Hoss in the video, (I'm not sure because the guy appeared to have a butt, so it wasn't Jim) it was good to finally see a Sapphire unit putting off some heat.

First of all...stop looking at my butt....

One of the best things about this machine is how it concentrates the heat down into the carpet and not out into the air like most do.....this was being ran off my thermalwave....the 570......( Which gets way hotter ) and its Hoss...was doing the other building....

P6040258_zps033d420c.jpg

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Thanks for the video Mike. I do see a difference under the XL. Yours had 4 nobs to ride on.

The other thing was something you mentioned in the video about streaking. So far I have not had that problem. You mentioned a possible cause was the vac shoes were deeper so the jets were a little further away from the carpet. (if I understood you correctly)

Before I bought the 360i at Mikefest, I measured the depth of the XL and the 360i I bought. The vac shoes were identical. I also measured the shoes on a 360 three jet brush head Martin had for sale used. Those shoes were not as deep as Mike's XL or my 360i quad. So maybe the steaking issue has been dealt with successfully on the newer 360i quad. The fact that the vac shoes were the same depth really steered me to the 360i over the XL.

As I see it, the XL would be better suited to have a 5th jet and vac slot. Right now I just can't see a real advantage to the XL over the new 360i quad Rotovac.

Mikey P

Administrator
The quad 360i streaks less than the 3 port for sure. But it's still a issue that many see a lot and for some reason ( most likely poor vision) many don't see.

The XL cleans faster if nothing else

That's a fact.

But imo, it cleans deeper and more evenly as well.

Mikey P

Administrator
actually no, they appear when you use the 360i in a straight side to side fashion, much like my guy is using it in the video.

If you use a clover or figure 8 pattern you can avoid the streaking for the most part. My suggestion would be to rake out the room before moving on cause it's real easy to miss small areas if you use a random pattern.

Mikey P

Administrator
Loren I also believe that you are over thinking jet to vac-port placement importance.

unless you don't plan on doing a dry stroke.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Perhaps you are right, over thinking, but I still took another look at the bottom of your XL, and I just can't warm up to the way you have the jets aligned.

I do always dry stroke though.

Would you be stepping on anyone's toes if you told us which you prefer, the Hoss or the XL?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom