multi truck guys....bonuses for up-sells?

Beeks

Name
J.R.
With two full time techs now, i was thinking about adding a bonus if they hit a certain amount of up-sells. I pay my guys well.... from what i hear on forums and talking to guys around town, at least i think i do.

Here is my thought with a minimum of $500 in up-sales to qualify, winning tech gets a $100 bonus each week. I figure this will bring some friendly competition between the techs, and encourage extra sells while in the home as well.

Any thoughts on this, would love to hear from Ken, Tom, and anyone else that has a multi truck business.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Work your numbers and then use "goal directed behavior" principles. (As in reward more what you want more of!)

For example, my guess is protector is more profitable (and certainly easier to fit in to a busy schedule) than upselling three extra rooms of carpet cleaning. So why not have a two-tier commission structure?

Steve

PS In SFS we recommend raising your prices slightly on protector but then dumping all of that increased price back to the techs in a dramatically higher commission. You will both make much more money. Even better, the old, whining "J.R., I wanna raise" monkey is now off of your back and on the tech where it belongs. You just reply, "Son, we went over last week how you can give yourself a 4.00 per hour raise just by up-selling Scotchgard to one house per day. Now get out there and do it!"

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
What Steve said - never make it an I win you lose with employees. Make the plan so all can win (with effort) and everyone will be happier and you more profitable. I win you lose formats open the door for them questioning quality of routes going out and if one is naturally a better up seller it could demotivate the other and the better one has no reason to try to help the lessor one improve. Win win will really be win win win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I agree it is better if all can qualify for the bonus.

It is not a matter if maybe the better route questioning will come out it is when, especially if the same tech is always winning the challenge every week. So making all techs able to reach a goal makes it better especially for you if both techs reach the goal every week.

Just be carefull not to make them super pressure sales guys ( unless this is what you want your company to be, some do) that always are hitting the customer with a pressure tactics that will alienate customers.

Reactions: Beeks

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Why not just pay a higher percentage for all up sales? Then everyone becomes a winner. The client, tech and the company. It's not that hard to double every job with a continuing training program for the techs and it teaches them how to sell the right way. Without pressure and by being the helpful pro.

Reactions: Beeks
Back
Top Bottom