My BLOWER went bad because..... (Hydramaster 427)

breathe72

The lower Heat Exchanger was clogged and caked with crud.

Causing back-pressure.

Was reccommended I take the HX to a radiator shop, have them boil it out.

All the radiator shops tell me that its a NO GO cause the part has aluminum fins.

Their solution would eat away the aluminum.

Anything I could try at My shop???

Anyone?

Boiling water & vinegar????

Anything?

Name
George Valliant
Call Jeff at Truckmountdeals.com at (888) 842-8333 or email jeff@truckmountdeals.com. He knows Boxxers better than anyone in the country. It's a well known problem typical of Boxxers. When he gets one in the first thing he does is tear down the heat exchange system and PM them.

Be cool to him cause he gets pestered by rug cleaners 9 hours a day. And, be sure to buy your next rig from him and pass the word around . He's a great guy and and terrific resource for used truckmounts. Let someone else pay the depreciation and get your next truckmount from truckmountdeals.com

bty, ask how his wife is recovering because George wants to know. She was in ICU the other day and he was under a great deal of stress. Please message with me on how she is doing. Thanks...

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you wouldn't need to boil it just soak it in a vinegar mix. Or if you want you could get some coffee machine cleaner for the alluminum pots and soak it in that over night or by some alluminum kettle pot descaler

Name
George Valliant
One more thing regarding clogged heat exchanger on the Boxxer. I would probably switch gas and exclusively use Chevron with Techron. It will help fight carbon build-up and keep your heat exchangers cleaner.

TimP

How would that help with a blower exchanger??????

I say take it out and try rinsing it from the back side. Pour some fab set in there or some vinegar and let it sit over night then rinse it out and give it a go. Shoot I may even try some carpet cleaning detergent first to get the particles broke apart. Then make sure you are cleaning your filters properly. If there is only 1 filter in the waste tank of the 427 filter you probably would be good to get you a pool filter. You shouldn't have to clean the water portion of the exchanger (so high pressure shouldn't be necessary)....just where the air flows through (3 inch ports on it).

Greenie

I've heard of others having them boiled by a rad shop, so all "solutions" must not be equal.

note to self, a radiator blower exchanger comes at a price.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I would get the larger one for 1600-1800 bucks Odie

http://www.***************/store/little ... -4945.html

TimP

He'd only need the small one for carpet as that's just a heat booster. I'd go for the big one too though.....to make sure I could do some tile with it too.

But I'd try to fix the blower exchanger first.

MerCrewser

I'm not familiar with the HM Hx, but I put my Prochem 405 Hxs in the dishwasher. They never really get dirty though, I just do it every 2 years or so as PM. My wife left over 2 years ago, so it doesnt really matter what I put in the dishwasher.... Hxs, carbarators, the cat etc etc.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
We've had decent luck with soaking them in a good degreaser for a while. Keep changing the water and use the hottest water you can get. It works well if you take the 2 ends off to open the whole thing up.

gasaxe

breathe72 said:

Causing back-pressure.

All the radiator shops tell me that its a NO GO cause the part has aluminum fins.

Anyone?

Anything?

sounds like someone is b.s.in you. most newer automotive radiators are aluminum cores with plastic tanks.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
everyone I hear that has owned a hydramaster especially the slide ins have all ended up pissed off, is anyone happy with their machines or do they all suck

G

Kerosene heaters put out as good if not better heat than a blower heat exchanger system. And also at much higher pressure and constantly holding trigger down can make 250 degree water. I am looking into a northstar Kero heater for pressure water setup and cc setup.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
gasaxe said:
breathe72 said:

Causing back-pressure.

Anyone?

Anything?

sounds like someone is b.s.in you. most newer automotive radiators are aluminum cores with plastic tanks.
None of the radiator shops around here will touch them either.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
packfancjh said:
We've had decent luck with soaking them in a good degreaser for a while. Keep changing the water and use the hottest water you can get. It works well if you take the 2 ends off to open the whole thing up.

Chris is the only one here who nailed it right.

The exchanger is predominantly clogged with a mixture of dust/dirt, and the product you used to protect the blower lobes from rusting, e.g. WD-40. Vinegar isn't going to do much of anything. What is needed is a hot degreaser soak and pressure washing, AFTER you take the ends off (drill out the rivets).

We've cleaned many CDS salsa heat exchangers and Boxxer exchangers of the crud that fills them up. Some get so bad, it takes a couple of days and a few man-hours to clean them up. It sometimes takes a bit of soaking to loosen up the oily/gummy mud so that you can push it out with pressure. Some suppliers simply replace them, and I can see why. But (knock on wood), our location has been able to save them all.

All of HM slide-ins now feature a port to measure back pressure, so that you can identify a partially obstructed exchanger long before it gets critical. As a result of testing, you can clean them up before they get difficult to move the degreaser through the fins.

A radiator shop is rarely going to understand the problem and/or be equipped to clean them. They are much more used to cleaning coils and fins from the inside of deposits more akin to mineral or chemical build up, in which they will use heat caustics, rather than heat, pressure & detergents to make soluble the caked deposits.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
You do have to be carefull with how much pressure you use though. The flanges are made out of a soft metal and if you blast it to high it will fold the flanges over and then you are out of luck.

gasaxe

packfancjh said:
gasaxe said:
breathe72 said:

Causing back-pressure.

Anyone?

Anything?

None of the radiator shops around here will touch them either.

they may not but i doubt its bcause of the reason stated above. If they are dealing with radiators that are predominantly aluminum then why would the solution be a problem? Probably one of those things were they are afraid to mess with something that is out of their everyday norm.

might try a hvac supply house. ask for a couple cans of "coil cleaner"

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Chris,

Yes, you are right. I should have been clear. We are using perhaps 75-100 psi after you get some movement of the caked on grime. And you do have to take care that you don't angle the spray, or you will divert the fins.

steve g said:
everyone I hear that has owned a hydramaster especially the slide ins have all ended up pissed off, is anyone happy with their machines or do they all suck

I used to work at a distributor for 5 years and I know MANY, MANY customers that love there HYM machine and buy them over and over again.....

The CDS 4.8 is second to none as far as direct drive units...IMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom