My Butt is no longer Puckered! Some info that might help others on hardwood

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
A couple weeks back I posted about an issue I had with our hose leaving a "C" ring on a hard wood floor. The floor did not show apparent damage but there was a "haze" in the finish on the wood. When I ask them what they had used on it they told me Muryphy's Oil Soap. I didn't get alot of suggestions here since no one had probably had that issue before so I just now made it back over to see what I could do to fix it. I took everything that I had with the intentions that I would do my best. I called a Furniture Medic that I met in a clients house about a year ago and they offered me a suggestion, and it WORKED!

Bag of goodies I went in armed with
photo-111.jpg

The "Haze" ring left by solution hose
photo-113.jpg

The Fix and REsult (Furniture Medic suggested that the haze was moisture that had been trapped under the coating) He said to try a hair dryer and uniformly dry back and forth until it evaporated the mositure. I used a old remote control model film application heat gun and it worked like a charm!
photo-114.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Seriously? No one here knew that? It's a pretty common problem for upholstery cleaning and exposed wood with an oiled or waxed finish.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Great Bryan, then why didn't you respond to my plea for help?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We don't do any hard surface work so if the original thread asked about flooring I would have skipped it thinking someone else would know more about it than I did. Not sure why I clicked on this thread. Really am surprised wood floor guys didn't jump in.

At an association meeting last week a friend showed a picture of a cabinet that the customer said was damaged after cleaning was done there. The doors were foggy looking. I asked if the finish was wax and let him know he could fix it with a hair dryer. A couple other old-timers agreed. I guess some of us have seen wood that pre-dates modern hardened finishes, but wax and oiled finishes are coming back so should probably be included in hard surface training again.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Fair enough, thanks. I have also done the same, skipped over a topic if I didn't feel I could add to it.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Billy, I believe you said this happened from your hot solution hose, correct? Do you use steel braided hose like Goodyear? I know that hose can get really hot. I'm just wondering if this could happen with the lower temperature Parflex hose.

Steve

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yes, Goodyear, but we had temp set low because of floor. And like Oz stated we were only doing 3 pcs of uph in this room. I suspect that this one mark was from where the solution hose never moved the entire 1.5 hours we were cleaning. No other issues

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom