My first step into advertising

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I've been hitting my head into a wall for a few months on how to get my residential service off the ground.

I've debated:

Valpak
Money Saver (local magazine)
Smart Shopper (another local magazine)
Groupon (yeah, not making much but getting my name out)
Digital Billboards
Gas Pump toppers
Local Metro Transit system bus advertisment

I ran into a Yellowbook salesperson. A freind of mine just dropped 22K in advertising with her :shock:

She got me a 1/4 page color ad that will hit 184,000 homes in November and May. Twice a year. A five page webstite (I've not been able to get one going, or had the 2-3 grand to get it going), First ranking on their website, which is on the top listing in Google search.

One year, 12 months billable for 138.00 per month. If I can't get ONE dang job out of it to pay for it, I have bigger problems than just that. The phone number in the book transfers to mine, and it logs the calls to see what kind of productivity I have.

Combined with Robinson's Google Ranking, I should have very adequate web listings. I've seen about 50 of this company's websites, and I have to say I am pretty impressed.

The van is going in for lettering in 2 weeks.

My goal is to not be dependant on my janitorial franchise (I won't disown them, I just don't want to rely on them like I am now) buy 2014. I feel pretty comfortable with the decision I made today to get there. It's a small step, but one that won't keep me too busy so I am rejecting work.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You believed a Yellowbook salesman because a friend spent 22K?

This is a joke right?

Anyway Yellow Book is in the middle of page #2 of google for "carpet cleaning greenbay wi'. the most common search. It is buried!!

Every one except a directory sales person know that a directory is not the place to be.

You'll be listed along with 59 of your competitors.

(The very last place you'd want to advertise.)

It's better to be listed by yourself on top of the fold on page #1 and also have more client reviews than your competition.

I haven't seen a singe client review listed by any carpet cleaner in your area.

Could be an easy opportunity to shine in your area if you only get one client reviews.

As I recall you have 3 business days to get out of your contract with Yellowbook.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

But, I didn't fall off the turnup truck yesterday So, I see the cracks in "advertising" this way.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Customers now? Groupon or Living Social.... If you do it right you WILL make money from it.

Nothing better anywhere for quick business.... Nothing.

Call me if you want to talk about it.

916-295-4460

Disclaimer... If you don't do it correctly, it can be devastating.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I'll get ahold of you soon Brian.

Dave... I had to look at my ROI on this VS cost, and amount of people I could attract. I already have a business that makes me work 7 days a week as it is. Carpet Cleaning is something I love doing, and want to make grow over time. I couldn't handle 3-4 jobs a day on top of what I do.

So, looking at the costs with outcomes I decided this. I need to get 1-2 jobs a month from it to pay for it. I'd like to have one a day if I could.. but I know that this type of advertisment won't get me that.

I feel I am getting "my feet wet" at a safe pace with this. If I become busy and need to hire someone or buy another truck? Yeah, by all means I hear you. But my situation is a little different than most I guess.

I do appreciate your input though :p

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Mardie said:
Ross Buettner said:
She was at his shop today.. it's where I met her. Clearly unintentional.
Was she hot.lol

Hot enough for my freind to drop what he did with her. He does Handicap conversions on vans. A very...very small competetive line with 2-3 competitors in the state.

He went from a 1 stall garage and office (mortgaging out the daylights on his house) to a 12 stall shop with 3 locations and 22 people working for him.

So, I do tend to take his advice... I don't give a rat's ass what they look like lol.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
For most other cleaners looking into yellow pages (or have a good looking gal trying to sell it to you)my thoughts are:

Why put money into a dead marketing medium.

Or a freaking directory to be listed with all your competitors?

If you are still thinking about it. When was the last time you used a phonebook.

I have used a phonebook in years and I always see them rotting in the entries of apartment building and never used.

I could however see it for emergencey services/water damage and pizza

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
couple grand for a website??? go look at mine...its not done or polished....

but its no where near close to a couple grand....PM me and ill tell ya who.....if he wants me to lol...

btw you might already be getting a few calls.....hahahahahah

also it was only the website setup and tracking down things....the seo and all that other jazz are on me......but then again i am doing it different then other might want to

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I have used a phonebook in years and I always see them rotting in the entries of apartment building and never used.

You're dead right. And these are the people I don't want calling me.

I'll let you all know how it works.

Name
I'm Rick James
I dont advertise at all and I am swamped with work.. I get my work mainly from YELP or Yelp is used as a reference that people can see how badass I am.

dgargan

Yellow book?

They're still in business? Really ? Do you still use 8 tracks too?

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
my experience ( while limited ) is that there are a certain demographic of people who use different tools to find things...those who use google wont own a phone book and vice versa..others will call or email their friends to get referrals etc. You have to find out which type of custy you want and run with it...they are all different and I am sure you can make money with them all.

Jarred
shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
lust1kiddo said:
my experience ( while limited ) is that there are a certain demographic of people who use different tools to find things...those who use google wont own a phone book and vice versa..others will call or email their friends to get referrals etc. You have to find out which type of custy you want and run with it...they are all different and I am sure you can make money with them all.

Jarred
shiteatinggrin

Nice. Well said

Lars

Name
Lars
Don't expect to put a ad in the yellow pages and have the phone ring off the hook...

Yellow pages out here in CA is about to fold like a lawn chair. I know lots of cleaners getting out of the yellow pages and spending their money in online marketing.

Put your money into getting a simple website and doing some EZ Seo for your area...

Heck join a BNI Group in your area that will bring you in business!

Good luck with whatever you decide. message me for any help or questions

Name
I'm Rick James
Mikey P said:
Lots of great advice in this thread.

Who do YOU want as customers?

Female between the age of 25-99, with kids, pets that comes from a 2 person income that exceeds $75,000. The cleaning is usually always over 5 areas and in good shape.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Hey Doug, Looks like your site is off to a good start. I don't like the black background/boarder but that's me. I like your before, during, after pictures and your site is easy to navigate.

Ross:

Jarred and others have made very valid points. Yellow pages/book, probably not the best for sinking a ton of money, even if they will do your website too. Go with a basic inexpensive listing to have a presence for the 75 and older crowd that don't have computers. you've got to do a little of everything.. a little web, a little networking (BNI, Chamber or other) a little direct mail, a little current client base, etc.. and coming in last in my opinion is yellow pages.. it really is a dinosaur.

Also I think your friend has done so well because he's 1 of 3 guys in your home state doing his line of work, not because of his $22k in yellow page ads but I could be wrong..

I would target your current base of carpet customers or target specific customers you want to have to grow your business on a regular basis, every 2,3,6 months with a post card/offer or letter advising them of any additional services you offer; pet odor/stain removal, asthma/allergy treatment, stain removal, upholstery, oriental or wool rugs, etc.

Start with a small percentage of your base to keep costs down. The next month or two later, another small percentage and track your results. None of them may be looking for cleaning now but at least you are building your Top of Mind relationship. When they are ready, you'll be the first cleaner they think of.

** Make sure you ask your potential customer : "How did you hear about us" or "What made you choose to call us today?" That will help give you feedback on what method of marketing is working best or at least better than another. You probably already knew that but it's worth re-mentioning.

I get calls from customers asking me if I cleaned for them before? I explain I haven't but would be happy to address their cleaning needs... I get some and some say they'll keep calling other cleaners. That's a testimonial to customer loyalty for the other cleaner (I guess, not sure) but the fact of the matter is.. they can't even remember WHO cleaned their carpets last! Customers forget who we are the day after we pull out of their driveway. You can't control who does or doesn't read the yellow pages. The other marketing options you have more control and I feel a better chance of success.

Whatever YOU decide is right for your business (only you know that) I hope is very successful and gets you closer to your goals!

Bill

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
In my 25ish years of handling our marketing I can honestly say I have never had a "good looking" yellow page rep. The good looking salespeople are in broadcast sales (radio & TV).

None of that really matters to me but thought I would point it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom