my impressions of the new prochem airmover

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I was over at olson's today, they had a new prochem air mover. I asked chavez and he thought these were nothing to get excited about, bill bruders also slammed them before he had even seen them saying they can't be putting out that much air for the amp draw. Anyway my first impression mirrored what chavez and bruders assessments were initially. I turned it on felt the air coming out and was thinking to myself big freaking deal, I thought they should have put in a higher amp motor etc, it looks kinda wringy dinky, anyways before I left I decided for the hell of it to take a brand new drieaz X3 that john had on the floor, set it on its back, then I took the prochem unit set it on its back, both units were blowing strait up, doing this I could stand over each unit with it blowing in my face. the prochem is a single speed unit, so I could only test it on one speed, the x3 is a 3 speed unit, first test was on low, blowing in my face the prochem is moving more air than the x3 on low, ok on to x3 speed 2, the prochem is still putting out more air, next I turned the x3 to speed 3 which is high speed and 4 amps draw, the drieaz may hold a slight edge here but it didn't feel like much, so IMO the prochem blows more than speed 2 but slightly less than high on the x3, this should be plenty good for drying a water loss, I still think they should have offered a low high motor on the prochem, have its current speed be the low and then have the option to kick it up to 3 amps for high, that would have blown away the x3, I have nothing to gain by writing this, bill bruders and drieaz should be worried about these, if prochem can manage to show people that these do perform despite their size, they are certainly more efficient than the x3 which has been the gold standard for centrifugal air movers. so see for your self and take the blow in the face test.

Mikey P

Administrator
So how much did Olson charge you for the blow job?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd like to see something a little more scientific.
Can we get Cooper and Nick to do some air flow testing please.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
What are they selling for?

I thought it would at least make a nice airmover to dry upholstery.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I love the official testing carpet cleaners do.

I have had hundreds of cleaners stick their hand over the vac hose and could walk back and forth from other machines with the "OFFICIAL hand over the vac hose" trick and could tell without a shadow of a doubt which TM sucked harder.

But the "blower in the face" test is completely fool proof.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Nobody has an anenometer?

Check two things: static pressure and airspeed (cfm)

A digital ammeter (amp gauge) would be good too.

ps. Adam beat me to the post

steve g

Name
steve garrett
isn't real world testing what matters most, the vac hose thing is a stretch but what I did was different than that.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
steve g said:
isn't real world testing what matters most,

any one will tell you anything to sell something..most distributors are nothing more the used car salesmen..........real world testing is the way to go....if you got something you are peddling...kick it out there to a few people and let them put it threw it paces and then report back.........your product will speak for itself if it will preform...

Mike Draper

I was over at Olsen's as well. I attached the Prochem air mover to my back and then put on my roller skates, Lora had the radar detector out and clocked me at 3.7 mph. then I threw the Dri-Eaz on and cranked it to high. Lora clocked me at 3.9 mph. So there it is, the dri-eaz might be a little faster when its cranked on high. If this is not scientific enough, i don't know what the hell is!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My distributor is bringing one over for me to see tomorrow, I hate to tell him I already checked it out at MF6. I 'll hold out any judgement until I hear what people say after they have been in the field awhile. Still not impressed, but keeping an open mind.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
If any of you guys are looking for good air movers, check out the Century 400. 3000 cfm at 7.2 amps with a built in carpet clamp. I know the amp draw is a little high but when you can properly float a carpet you don't need 4 blowers in a room. $180 at commercial vacuum.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
steve g said:
I was over at olson's today, they had a new prochem air mover. I asked chavez and he thought these were nothing to get excited about, bill bruders also slammed them before he had even seen them saying they can't be putting out that much air for the amp draw. Anyway my first impression mirrored what chavez and bruders assessments were initially. I turned it on felt the air coming out and was thinking to myself big freaking deal, I thought they should have put in a higher amp motor etc, it looks kinda wringy dinky, anyways before I left I decided for the hell of it to take a brand new drieaz X3 that john had on the floor, set it on its back, then I took the prochem unit set it on its back, both units were blowing strait up, doing this I could stand over each unit with it blowing in my face. the prochem is a single speed unit, so I could only test it on one speed, the x3 is a 3 speed unit, first test was on low, blowing in my face the prochem is moving more air than the x3 on low, ok on to x3 speed 2, the prochem is still putting out more air, next I turned the x3 to speed 3 which is high speed and 4 amps draw, the drieaz may hold a slight edge here but it didn't feel like much, so IMO the prochem blows more than speed 2 but slightly less than high on the x3, this should be plenty good for drying a water loss, I still think they should have offered a low high motor on the prochem, have its current speed be the low and then have the option to kick it up to 3 amps for high, that would have blown away the x3, I have nothing to gain by writing this, bill bruders and drieaz should be worried about these, if prochem can manage to show people that these do perform despite their size, they are certainly more efficient than the x3 which has been the gold standard for centrifugal air movers. so see for your self and take the blow in the face test.

grrrr you were at Olson's and I live with the dude, and didnt get a chance to meet up.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
KevinL said:
If any of you guys are looking for good air movers, check out the Century 400. 3000 cfm at 7.2 amps with a built in carpet clamp. I know the amp draw is a little high but when you can properly float a carpet you don't need 4 blowers in a room. $180 at commercial vacuum.

floating carpets is 1980's technology, I still do it some times but not often. I typically set an air mover every 12 feet, of wall space, this precludes the use of a 7.2 amp air mover. even something that runs 4 amps is too much. 2.5 amps or less is just about right.

richard, test it out just like I described, my feelings were just like yours when I first checked it out. now I am impressed. someone needs to use an air speed tester on one.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I like the fact that when the static pressure gets too high normal airmovers over heat and shut off, but not with these.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
floating carpets is 1980's technology, I still do it some times but not often.
Insurance companies have figured out that the cost of replacing rebond and reinstalling carpet can be far less expensive than the cost of equipment and monitoring to perform a slower drying procedure. There's a time for everything, but some of the procedures of the 70s that were thrown out in favor of top drying are making a comeback.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Its even possible to float a carpet, and get the heat from a dehu or E-Tes to reach the walls and dry them at the same time.

I like my new air movers. I picked up 10 for 169 each with free shipping. They only draw 2.9 amps and can be linked together. They are also half the weight of my other air movers, smaller, and more than enough cfm. I am more inclined to take a few of these in on residential jobs than a 50 pound blower.

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Name
Nate W.
The Great Oz said:
floating carpets is 1980's technology, I still do it some times but not often.
Insurance companies have figured out that the cost of replacing rebond and reinstalling carpet can be far less expensive than the cost of equipment and monitoring to perform a slower drying procedure. There's a time for everything, but some of the procedures of the 70s that were thrown out in favor of top drying are making a comeback.

My pops told me back in the 80's a guy was doing top down drying and everyone thought he was nuts and laughed at his method. My, how some things make it full circle. I was taught to float carpet. I'm still intrigued about top down drying.

Lora Olson

Mike Draper said:
I was over at Olsen's as well. I attached the Prochem air mover to my back and then put on my roller skates, Lora had the radar detector out and clocked me at 3.7 mph. then I threw the Dri-Eaz on and cranked it to high. Lora clocked me at 3.9 mph. So there it is, the dri-eaz might be a little faster when its cranked on high. If this is not scientific enough, i don't know what the hell is!

That made my morning Mike! Thanks for the laugh!!!

p.s. John was a BAD BOY last night @ Cabela's!!

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have them out in the real world being tested. I only have one left in my show room for display. I have my anemometer in my skydiving gear bag and forgot to get it out this morning to run the wind speed test but i'll run home later today and get it.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jim Martin said:
[quote="steve g":3o61ze6n]isn't real world testing what matters most,

any one will tell you anything to sell something..most distributors are nothing more the used car salesmen..........real world testing is the way to go....if you got something you are peddling...kick it out there to a few people and let them put it threw it paces and then report back.........your product will speak for itself if it will preform...[/quote:3o61ze6n]

Thats why Steve drives down from Salt Lake to our store and why Mike Drives from Logan and.....I could go on and on....I don't wear plaid Jim and I am not on Meds... shiteatinggrin 8) :lol:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the problem with drying pad in place is 2 fold IMO, first the customers around where I work question it and don't think it will work. never mind what I tell them they still don't believe it. I would love for every customer to be mind numb robots and do exactly what I say, but that doesn't always happen I have to make them happy. the second thing is in utah if the carpet is in a basement, which is where I am working most of the time. the pad is laid down on concrete that is likely has a year round temperature of about 55 degrees, this means you have a lot of trouble getting enough heat through air movement to dry it. some practices taught don't always work well in all situations. floating the carpet can get around this to a point, or using a TES unit. I also don't think its a good idea to try and dry pad that has a wood subfloor under it. after all is said and done its just easier to pull the pad out the customer is happy. I only use sub surface extraction on small areas and normally when I am trying to save the customer money. I suppose if you live in the south where most homes are just built on a concrete slab above the ground, then I could see the value in subsurface extraction.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I like the Omni dry airmovers too, especially know that they can be daisy chained. Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that insurance will only X amout per day for an airmover regardless the size of the motor or cost. With that in mind, a low amp draw low cost unit like the omnidry is ideal. If you have to use more units that = MORE MONEY :D .

steve g

Name
steve garrett
ACE said:
I like the Omni dry airmovers too, especially know that they can be daisy chained. Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that insurance will only X amout per day for an airmover regardless the size of the motor or cost. With that in mind, a low amp draw low cost unit like the omnidry is ideal. If you have to use more units that = MORE MONEY :D .

in my area axials pay 3 bucks and some change more a day more. 1hp air movers pay 35/day, however an extra 3 bucks a day doesn't justify the extra 84% that an axial fan costs. its clear we are getting gouged on axial these days. I think with the low draw centrificals coming out, its going to put pressure on the big 3 to get real with the price of axials.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
so steve what do you think about the price of the pc triad?

at 380 dollars i will wait a bit to see how many others like it.

i saw it today and played with it for about five minutes. i thought the power for the amps used was good. i am questioning the balance of the metal blade over time.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I pulled down the exhaust fan out of the girl's bath room and I think it has more power than the Triad. :roll:

She's a different animal and I'm such an old dog it's had for me to learn new tricks, but I'm trying. :wink:

Name
John LaBarbera
steve g said:
ACE said:

in my area axials pay 3 bucks and some change more a day more. 1hp air movers pay 35/day, however an extra 3 bucks a day doesn't justify the extra 84% that an axial fan costs. its clear we are getting gouged on axial these days. I think with the low draw centrificals coming out, its going to put pressure on the big 3 to get real with the price of axials.

Mytee's Tradewind is 3000 cfm MSRP $229.00 2 amps

Good Quality Low Price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom