Nahavand Runner

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I recently cleaned some area rugs for a custy. 6 synthetics and 1 wool. He must have been happy with the work because now he dropped off a 4' x 17' Nahavand runner. Looks like it came from Iran and has wool / cotton construction.

8e5640de.jpg

I have never cleaned something like this before and am looking for suggestions. I'm not set up for much other than vacuuming and hwe.

Even with a fairly neutral spotter the colors seem to release quiet easily

eb2a57d7.jpg

G

I have cleaned thousands of oriental rugs. I am not an expert on "names" but do know charicteristics.

Dry cleaning with OMS is clrearly the safest but least effective.

I would likely pre treat with acetic acid. I would consider hand shampooing (low ph using the suds (cold water)) then extracting with a stair/furniture tool for greater moisture removal. Post treat with acetic acid (or any low ph color stabilizing product). Laying face down helps reduce or eliminate color run in the drying.

I would not use hwe.

I cannot tell from photo if pile or flatweave? If pile could test clean an area on the back.

Restricted moisture (low ph) and accelerated drying should be safe and should provide the best outcome. But I would understand a cleaner not wanting to risk it and dry cleaning.

The brand products I am most familiar with are Dynasty shampoo (6.0ph) and Pros Choice color stablizer (2.5ph?)

Good luck.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Navahand? Hope you don't mean navaho. Navaho flat weeves are well known for their bleeding charcteristics. But with the rest of the set set here. I would mist some dye lock or dye set and then retest for bleeding. If all Fails you could do a dry wet dry method. Or do a coldwater extraction with a good acid side shampoo. If you use the Matrix products like listed below. Dynasty as acid side shampoo and use Royal mist as your acid side rinse. It also will help mitigate the bleeding. And of course dry flat. Another note: Not sure how you did your dye bleed test but alot of rugs, just like fabrics will tend to crock but will not always bleed. It kinda of looks liek you rubbed the towel rather than let it dweel with weight. Again I can't tell so I'm asking. If you did indead rub the towel on the rug, you still might be safe to carry out a wet extraction, I would just redo your test with the towel simply weighted down on the rug.

/\
|
|
I must have been half asleep when posting this.. this is why spell check should be an option again!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Nahavand is Farsi for ...crappy Hamadan rug!

Dye set usually won’t set the colors and any urine will make it bleed extra bad some have colored weft red- bright pike or blue-blue grey that bleedand wick

your best bet is to dust and light surface clean

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Looks like a job for a local rug cleaning plant. Let them have the liability and you mark up their charges for your profit. You get to be the expert without the risk of learning how to clean the rug by experimentation (the most expensive school).

Jose Smith

It's not a very valueable rug, but I'm sure she was told it is. It is simple to clean without concern of color bleed, BUT YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT. Follow Bryan's advice and take it to a RUG CLEANER.

Jose Smith

John Watson

Hi Jim, That sucka is ready to start leaking through my monitor. Some real good advice here from the above. Keep warm, Your BC neighbors sent us their cold weather, I got 7 degrees on my deck right now.. Brrr

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
It kinda of looks like you rubbed the towel

You are right, total noob on this end.

Looks like a job for a local rug cleaning plant.

I'm gonna make some calls, thanks.

Keep warm, Your BC neighbors sent us their cold weather, I got 7 degrees on my deck right now.. Brrr

Man you guys are softie toffies... -22 F this am.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
After I was unable to find a local "rug plant" decided to "get er done".

Vacuum back & Front
Light spray of dye stabilizer.
Even lighter mist of neutral natural fiber prespray.
Work in with horse hair brush.
Single pass low psi extraction with upholstery tool, cool water.
Force dry with Airpath.

Rug was dry 1/2 hour after cleaning.

6e242bd6.jpg

More or less a "rinse the dirt off the top" cleaning.
Thanks for the help on this one.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Thanks for the tip Mike, after it dried I ran my hand over it and you could see dust rising off it. Probably embedded dirt wicking to the surface?

Nice job Jim. How was the installation and repair course/instructor?

I am thinking of going to the next one in April.

Thanks John & Bill, Mark Violand was a good instructor, I felt his strong area was the hands on, I really enjoyed that part of the course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom