Name Change

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
Your opinion, please.

I bought my business on Sept. 1st, 2011 and the name is Certified Cleaning. I have been asked many times if I plan to keep the name from industry people and marketing guru's. We don't have a website, logo or any other marketing material, that process begins when my daughter comes home next week (she just graduated with a marketing degree and is headed to a specialty advertising school in August - I'll be her first "account".) This business is doing well, so I'm a little nervous to even think about changing the name.

What say you?

amygeorge

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I wouldn't.
The business has name recognition, there is nothing wrong with it.
Why change?

I do not see much of an upside for the name change and quite a few pitfalls.

I'll apply the same energy towards other ways to market, promote and improve the business. So much to do, so little time.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I some what agree with Ofer. However if you want change it should be your prerogative to do so.
I'd do the "Certified by_________ " thing and slowly transition until they recognize the new name.

You could always rip it off like a band aid, but then like a band aid, it could be painful. I've seen Jimmy naked

LIKE!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
No way would I change it if you have the name registered except to add dba(s) of i.e. Certified Cleaning Services, Certified Cleaning & Restoration etc. if inclined. Do not let go of that name.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I need to hear the arguement for a name change.

Somebody spent a lot time developing its current name.

It would have to be a very compelling arguement w proven rock solid statistics for me to seriously consider it.

I could entertain the idea if we were going national or an advertising budget over $50k year.

Personally, i like the name you have. Maybe add the words "and restoration" at the end of your existing name :-)

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Ken Snow said:
No way would I change it if you have the name registered except to add dba(s) of i.e. Certified Cleaning Services, Certified Cleaning & Restoration etc. if inclined. Do not let go of that name.

Guessing you have no plans of changing Original Hagopian to Kens Carpet Cleaning?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If the restaurant was called Ray Krocs.....do you think it would have been as successful as McDonalds?

Maybe...But still.

What Chavez said.... Use the old name somehow with the new one until the new one is better known. Takes about 2 years IMO.... Ask me how I know. lol

Do what you feel is right Amy.... If you want to change it I say go ahead and do it.....The benefits of being an owner is you get to do whatever you like.

Good luck.

Call me if you want to talk about it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
George III said:
Guessing you have no plans of changing Original Hagopian to Kens Carpet Cleaning?
"Carpet cleaning by Ken", sounds better.
Go for it Kenny eat yor heart out Werner

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Brian R said:
If you want to change it I say go ahead and do it.....The benefits of being an owner is you get to do whatever you like.
That would be the last reason to do it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You could do like Jimmy and go all K's.

Ken's Karpet Kleaning....although I'm not sure it would go over as well in Detroit as it does in Omaha. I've seen Jimmy naked

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Agency's love the idea of changing names- it gets them upfront billable hours for creative sessions to come up with the new name, then they will push to spend a lot o money marketing the new name cause nobody has even heard of it.

If it makes sense to change it, change it- but I can't imagine why you would change from that great name.

Ken aka Ken's Carpet Cleaning by Hagopian J/K

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Santana said:

Ken's Karpet Kleaning....although I'm not sure it would go over as well in Detroit as it does in Omaha. I've seen Jimmy naked

I love it.
And it may open a whole new market for you in the south eat yor heart out Werner .

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Brian R":l91x05ug] If you want to change it I say go ahead and do it.....The benefits of being an owner is you get to do whatever you like.
That would be the last reason to do it.[/quote:l91x05ug]

It's a benefit... Not a reason.

Are my posts dumbass encrypted or something? :lol:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You'd like to have a name that will connect better with your customer, and Certified is pretty generic.

If the name is established as a quality brand, I'd probably use it in the new name for a few years. "Certified" becomes "Certified Green Clean" becomes "Green Clean" though this example is just trading one generic name for another.

Rebuilding a damaged brand can be more difficult than starting over though, so if the previous owners left a little odor behind I'd change as soon as possible.

Opie Cleaner

Santana said:

That's the funniest post I've seen here :lol:

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I agree with you all and appreciate your input. I think adding restoration is the way to go!

Believe this or not. When I bought my first laundromat it was named Kwick Klean Korner Laundry! Yes, it was the KKK laundry for 40 years. We dropped the "Korner" from the name the day it was purchased. What shocks me is how many folks never noticed the name.

Have a good weekend!

amygeorge

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Ofer Kolton said:
I wouldn't.
The business has name recognition, there is nothing wrong with it.
Why change?

I do not see much of an upside for the name change and quite a few pitfalls.

I'll apply the same energy towards other ways to market, promote and improve the business. So much to do, so little time.

I agree.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom