Need a little advise...

jwat929

Name
John Watkins
I have owned a fairly large dry cleaners for over 35 years and we have also been in the textile restoration business for over 22 years. I am considering purchasing an existing Servpro territory that's about 2 hours away from my dry cleaning business. The numbers seem to be good but I am worried about spreading myself too thin. I am 56 years old and do not want to be working like I did when I was in my early 20's. I am hoping that after a certain amount of training I would be able to delegate 95% of the service work to key managers.

Is there anyone out there that owns a Servpro or Service Master franchise along with another business--and how is it working out for you? I have very good-experienced management and employees at the dry cleaners--but I don't want to get in a situation where this Servpro venture is all consuming. Is this a business you can delegate most of the work to key people as long as you monitor them? Thanks in advance for your help!!:)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd pass if thats what you're looking for. The restoration business is all consuming and demands a lot of direction and leadership. Its very unlike the drycleaning business with no set times. While the the drycleaning business is demanding you generally can depend on a schedule. The restoration business is 24/7 365 days a year. One call and you need a dozen people to respond within hours. Operating as an absentee owner is a recipe for disaster.

Can you leave the drycleaning operation in good hands and run with restoration?

Last edited by a moderator:

jwat929

Name
John Watkins
I can't leave the drycleaning operation indefinitely--too many moving parts...we also do quite a bit of textile restoration..thanks for your advice!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The other option is hire away one of your younger managers from the dry cleaning business.

However I think you'll need more commitment from him than just an employee. He needs some skin in the game, maybe make him a limited partner with a share in growth goals.

He can eventually be your exit strategy when you decide you are ready to retire from the restoration business.

It might be worth the expense of a consultant whether you go forward with Restoration or not.
http://violand.com/

Reactions: jwat929

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'd pass if thats what you're looking for. The restoration business is all consuming and demands a lot of direction and leadership. Its very unlike the drycleaning business with no set times. While the the drycleaning business is demanding you generally can depend on a schedule. The restoration business is 24/7 365 days a year. One call and you need a dozen people to respond within hours. Operating as an absentee owner is a recipe for disaster.

Can you leave the drycleaning operation in good hands and run with restoration?

I Second That!
John-- The Doc is giving you very good advise-- take it.
I would deplore having to start from the beginning again-- Its just too painful.

Due to High Taxes and Greed-- the middle class is shrinking. The Middle class are a CC "Bread n Butter" and THAT is why business is so hard for upstarts and even some existing CC.

Reactions: jwat929

jwat929

Name
John Watkins
I Second That!
John-- The Doc is giving you very good advise-- take it.
I would deplore having to start from the beginning again-- Its just too painful.

Due to High Taxes and Greed-- the middle class is shrinking. The Middle class are a CC "Bread n Butter" and THAT is why business is so hard for upstarts and even some existing CC.

Thanks John!!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Behave yurself Bawb!

Yur spellin suks worser, lol

And Yes, Doc has earned his stripes!!!! Very Sound Advize : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom