Need advice on buying carpet cleaning equipment

Good start

Name
Gene S
I am looking to start a carpet cleaning business and have a budget of 15,000 and possibly up to 20,000 dollars to start. I'm torn between purchasing a used truck mount or would I be better served by purchasing a portable unit such as the cfx or Steamin demon along with a crb unit. I know some say that cleaners that use portables are hacks however I personally believe a hack is someone that does a half ass job. I would really like to hear what you would purchase as if your were starting your own carpet cleaning business from the ground up and had my budget. Would like to start this business soon.

Mikey P

Administrator
You need a quick, efficient method to be as competitive as can be when starting out.the the Steamon Deamon is a very niche tool and portables while handy, are a real pita..

Find a nice used real Truckmount...

The market is flooded with them..

Good luck and learn to use the search feature here...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
In my opinion you should get a 4 month long ride along to learn about the business and experience and save your money.

It is a wide range of equipment that you listed, which makes one think, you really have no clue about this industry and don't even have an idea what method you want to work with and what you believe is good.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Buy you a brand new Prochem Peak or Judson for $20,000(tank and stuff included) and make payments on the van with no interest... If you buy them new you will only have to worry about getting the work. If you buy used, and aren't familiar or have no mechanical ability, it could turn out to be a train wreck...

Mikey P

Administrator
Gene

Tell us more about your self..

What had brought you to this point in your life ?
What skills do you have
Have you ever done sales?
How is your lower back?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Best bet would probably be buying someone out.

I know a guy in the next town over who might be talked into selling... :-) btw Welcome Gene! If there is anything I can do to help you out or any questions you might want answered by another local guy please feel free to PM me here, I'm located in Kent.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Portables are a pain to work with, bucket brigade is a time killer.

If you want to spend more time, working harder just to achieve the same results (not better) just to save few few bucks on the front end and let the back end kill you then you're not a hack........you're a fool.

A good used TM will make you more money faster, provided you have the work for it (the actual machine doesn't bring you work) deliver better results easier than any portable machine.

Do what you want the portable is the easiest way in but it's the hardest in the long run.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I think I like Zee's idea. It's not the best time to start in the snow season of the snow belt. Get a ride for 4 months
put together a plan and some marketing start in April. Look for a used TM. Best of luck to you put the best luck starts with a plan.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
You get the shivers and shakes when you talk about starting your own buziness?

My wife and I just did this exact same thing 1 year ago.

I believe Soxpak just started not long ago too, maybe he will chime in.

One thing I will ask is, Take Pride in your work, not only do you represent yourself, but your community and US here at MB aswell. Welcome Aboard !!

Rug Suckin is no joke!

Chris

Gonna go pet MY Genie now BoB!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Portables are a pain to work with, bucket brigade is a time killer.

If you want to spend more time, working harder just to achieve the same results (not better) just to save few few bucks on the front end and let the back end kill you then you're not a hack........you're a fool.

Thanks BUDDY! I appreciate it!:winky: (I'm coming over to poop on your lawn)

A good used TM will make you more money faster, provided you have the work for it (the actual machine doesn't bring you work) deliver better results easier than any portable machine.

Do what you want the portable is the easiest way in but it's the hardest in the long run.

$265 earned at this job, under 2 hours from door knock to drive away- no upsells, just cleaning. Some of the advice here is pretty sage, some not so much, some outright messed up because of either ignorance or personal bias. For 6 to 7 grand , you can be set up with some fine extraction equipment, a good scrubber and have lots of money to market your new business with. I would suggest and echo a few here by saying wait until spring to dip your toes in the water.

Hacks don't do this.....

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2123-1.jpg

IMG_2140-1.jpg

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
No, it's one of a pair I rented for the photo op.If I'd have rented 3 , I would have gotten a yard.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You don't count Willy cuzzz you're Abby-Normal! :eekk: :p

Udder than Willy, portables are just production loozzzers, producing average results (*unless you work very hard at it) owner ops will put in the extra time and effort but employees rarely will.

Or you could buy a soap box like Mardie and try and fool everyone into thinking you are really using HWE. :icon_razz: :winky:

:biggrin:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
You don't count Willy cuzzz you're Abby-Normal! :eekk: :p

Udder than Willy, portables are just production loozzzers, producing average results (*unless you work very hard at it) owner ops will put in the extra time and effort but employees rarely will.

Or you could buy a soap box like Mardie and try and fool everyone into thinking you are really using HWE. :icon_razz: :winky:

:biggrin:

Employees that don't deliver quality work would soon be picking above pictured feet from their ass while kicking the lunch pail down the road to the unemployment office.:winky:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Willy that is true, that requires someone to monitor their work, Portable or TM.

Using a TM the results are far easier acheived even with an employee that is not going to clean as well as an owner op would.

There is just less margin for error with a portable.

steve_64

i started my business a week before christmas. or i tried too. my younger brothr passed away the same week putting things on hold a bit. but you can set yourself up anytime because the work wont start coming right away anyway. id get your equipment and your business insurance and all that set up before you start advertising. use your equipment at home and do some familiy and friends home to get a feel for things before hitting your territory.

whatever you buy save some money for marketing. again it will take time to set up ads and whatever marketing you choose to do. by the time spring rolls around you should be starting to book jobs and be prepared for them.

good luck and have fun.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Employees that don't deliver quality work would soon be picking above pictured feet from their ass while kicking the lunch pail down the road to the unemployment office.:winky:

Ya i thought them were the feet of a child and not of someone with an art for the english language such as yourself .

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
whatever you buy save some money for marketing. again it will take time to set up ads and whatever marketing you choose to do. by the time spring rolls around you should be starting to book jobs and be prepared for them.
Machines, tools and chems are fun to play with but without work you don't have a business.

Marketing is the fuel to keep your business running, marketing is the life blood of the business, doing a good job helps but the work has to come from somewhere. Marketing is where it comes from!

Reactions: Captain Morgan

steve_64

Machines, tools and chems are fun to play with but without work you don't have a business.

Marketing is the fuel to keep your business running, marketing is the life blood of the business, doing a good job helps but the work has to come from somewhere. Marketing is where it comes from!

and my experience was it takes time lots of time for the work to start coming in somewhat steady. i didnt depend on the carpet cleaning for an income right away so i wasnt as aggressive as i couldve been. but once the advertising started going out the work began to flow. you should just be prepared for it so you dont look like a hack and start getting poor reviews from the get go.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
i started my business a week before christmas. or i tried too. my younger brothr passed away the same week putting things on hold a bit. but you can set yourself up anytime because the work wont start coming right away anyway. id get your equipment and your business insurance and all that set up before you start advertising. use your equipment at home and do some familiy and friends home to get a feel for things before hitting your territory.

good luck and have fun.

That is good advise.
Also, it depends on your financial situation.
Do you need to start making money right away, or do you have some financial cushioning?

Yes, a truck mount is much better and will allow you to do a better job in less time. However, a portable will be less of an investment, especially if you already have a vehicle that you can use. However, if you take the time, a portable will do a great job.
Also, if you buy a portable and live in an area with buildings higher than 3/4 floors, it will not be a wasted investment, as you will still need it, even if you have a truck mount. If you buy a portable, get a good one, with two high flow three stage vacuums and a 500 psi pump (unless you also want to do tile, higher psi if you do)- these new vacuums are awesome.

Don't expect to make a lot of money quickly. For most, it does not work that way.

And I'd double emphasize what people said about the importance of marketing.
Good equipment.
Knowledge and pride in your work are very important but worthless, if you can't find new clients and retain the ones you have.

Good luck.

Reactions: John LaBarbera

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom