Need fuel tank for Sprinter van

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Just purchased up a pair of diesel sprinters but now i need fuel tanks to run gas truckmounts.

Any ideas on how to install or what and where to order?

my truckmount is fuel injected so it will need both a pickup and return line to the gas tank.

Thansk!

IMAG0113.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
now are we going to hear a battle over them beasties parked at your house....

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
George,

Overtons sells marine grade inboard tanks. The opaque white ones are what you want.

Let me see if I have any pics of my old install.

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
View attachment 873

That is a 12 gallon tank. And the best way I have found to keep an open footprint is to install the reel on a stand over the wheel well, then the tank behind it, use the drivers side, as when you fill up, the vans nozzle is left. You can fill the van w diesel, pull up a little and fill the tank w gas.

I used 3/4 mdf x two on tops and sides of stands. Then to waterproof it, which is an absolute must, I used fiberglass resin on every surface, three thick coats, then carpeted it. When you install it, use angle iron on the inside legs underneath to floor, and inside to the cap. the top must be angle ironed to the wall as that stops if from failing on back and forth motion. There's a lot of weight up there.

This is in a newer sprinter, but it worked just as well in my older ones I used to have.

View attachment 874

There is a shot of some custom shelves I have built.

I have some for some custom door panels as well, but not on this PC - will upload them later for you.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Is that legal to have that mounted inside?

We had the fuel cell builder run the whole setup, hose and manifold and cap.

We don't have the truck any longer but I'll look for pictures.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
George;

How big a tank do you need ?

Ideally, they should be outside the passenger common area.

Check under the side bottom panels for space available.

Fuel Cells only . . . if you have to go inside.

Larry

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
awesome!

been so busy lately havne't had much time to post. Thank you for the tips!

Hoping to have one of these bad boys pimped out and on the road by Christmas.

gonna install the Blueline Thermalwave into one van right away. someday maybe an ETM in the other. :hopeless:

ps... i spotted the president of the HOA walking his dog past my house the other day. :stir: If he thinks I'm gonna move my Sprinters,,,

He's got another thing coming :rockon:

http://youtu.be/8cmefZ8aeZ8

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
In our sprinter, I wanted the fuel tank under the body, not inside the rear.

The best place for it was actually to drop out the spare wheel carriage assembly and have a custom tank built and mounted in its place. This vehicle rarely travels more than 1/2 half from our base so we never bother carrying ten spare wheel at all. If travelling, it gets put in for the trip.

I think from memory the tank holds a good 100litres, and the filler is mounted just inside the back door on the floor, it was way cheaper than having an additional filler mounted into the body work and would have necessitated a housed pipe travelling across a 1/4 of the floor to the well creating an obstacle for getting equipment in and out.

It has worked very well for us, I went to a custom metal working place that does a lot of bus/coach/RV fit outs and conversions.

John

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
First i have to work out a few mechanical issues with the vans.

The rear end differintial is howling on one truck.

a few broken door handles.

ignition switch is shot on one truck.

EGR valve

badly cracked windshield.

a lot of little stuff like that.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. It might take a couple months to complete.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom