Need help figuring out a solution.

Name
Jeff T
I’ve got a very good client that’s been using us for 5-6 years.
They get us to do the carpeting in their home, and we take away area rugs every 2nd visit.
The rug tab is 950-1100$ every time.
Anyway, the wife has very advanced Parkinson’s, and is now in an electric wheel chair.
The problem is, the chair is causing the area rugs to bunch up when she turns around on the rug.
The husband has asked if I can think of a solution (besides getting rid of the area rugs), to be able to keep the rugs, and underlay in place....
Yes they could use double sided carpet tape (permanent), or I was thinking of them using Velcro....
Any other ideas?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I’ve got a very good client that’s been using us for 5-6 years.
They get us to do the carpeting in their home, and we take away area rugs every 2nd visit.
The rug tab is 950-1100$ every time.
Anyway, the wife has very advanced Parkinson’s, and is now in an electric wheel chair.
The problem is, the chair is causing the area rugs to bunch up when she turns around on the rug.
The husband has asked if I can think of a solution (besides getting rid of the area rugs), to be able to keep the rugs, and underlay in place....
Yes they could use double sided carpet tape (permanent), or I was thinking of them using Velcro....
Any other ideas?
Teebaud rug pad.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care
Name
Jeff T
Reactions: Desk Jockey

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rug Pad Wizard
Cushion is the enemy of any wheeled traffic over a loose rug.
The RPW "Evergrip" product is thin and naturally very tacky without using adhesives. It's new enough that no one has copied it yet.

If they want cushion, they need to start with a very firm pad.
RPW's Premium or NoMuv's DuraHold are examples of firm pads.

To keep the rug on the pad, add a layer of Wunderlock.

Try it with one rug.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You can recommend something for them to do but leave it in their ball park so you won't be held liable .

FOR KILLING ONE OF THEM BY BEING OUT OF CONTROL AND CRASHING INTO THE WALL!

Reactions: Cleanworks

Ron K

The wheels will create a wave and torque created by turning will probably make it impossible to secure . Brian is correct cushioning is your enemy but I feel the rug itself is a cushion. A rug that is stiffer to start will be your best bet.
But try one..but if they're all different types each one will react differently.
Good luck. Maybe just keep smaller rugs around the perimeter and hardwood
where the wheelchair will go.

Name
Jeff T
Well, I’ve given them my suggestions.
1: remove area rugs.
Answer: No, we really like them, and it wouldn’t feel like our home without them.
Me: replace with thinner, synthetic rugs.
Answer: we paid over twenty thousand dollars for the 2 rugs. They are staying.
2: locate high quality, non slip underlay.
Answer: we need you to do this for us, your in the industry, and we trust you intrinsically....
We will pay whatever it costs to get this problem rectified..

Me: this might not be the solution your looking for....

Answer: we are willing to take that risk...

FOOK.

My search has begun....

Reactions: AdamDumphy

Ron K

They paid 100,000 for the staircase it is staying they're just not going to use it!

Fook is right..... 10 large is not that expensive for a rug maybe,
Protect the floor with something thin, contractor paper. Staple rug every 12 to 6 inches to 3/8 plywood cut to size and there you go.
A silly but probably most best idea for success. Maybe!
Pad is not the answer for a turning wheelchair.
Sticky type pad will fail eventually.

Ron K

You need to provide what I call dimensional stability any pad I know is not going to provide that.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Well, I’ve given them my suggestions.
1: remove area rugs.
Answer: No, we really like them, and it wouldn’t feel like our home without them.
Me: replace with thinner, synthetic rugs.
Answer: we paid over twenty thousand dollars for the 2 rugs. They are staying.
2: locate high quality, non slip underlay.
Answer: we need you to do this for us, your in the industry, and we trust you intrinsically....
We will pay whatever it costs to get this problem rectified..

Me: this might not be the solution your looking for....

Answer: we are willing to take that risk...

FOOK.

My search has begun....
Check out the teebaud. It's thicker, denser and sticky on both sides.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I might try a perimeter glue. Maybe a pressure glue. Would be easier to manage when cleaning imo. Staples would rust if cleaned in place and obviously very difficult to remove. Might have to remove some wood sealer to get adhesion tho

Chair will cause quicker wear and tear regardless, I wouldn’t increase its elevation at all, that would just create more of a tripping hazard since he won’t be used to the height difference.

that wheels gonna burn a hole in no time tho

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Anything you do to the perimeter of the rug will fail. Rugs are textiles and will stretch in use, so tacking or taping the edges will give you a nice frame with a buckled blanket inside. Particularly with an electric wheelchair rolling over it.

Given everything you've said, I'd skip the pad completely and just go with WunderLock between floor and rug. It isn't meant for this use, but we've used it in our offices to keep hall runners in place on the hardwood and they don't move at all.

An important note! After fifteen years of cleaning those rugs in place, it took some effort to get residue off of the hardwood floor. I'd recommend scheduling an annual visit to check and possibly clean the floor (wipe with iso alcohol) as a condition of providing this solution.

Sticky type pad will fail eventually.
The cheap stuff they sell at home stores will, either because they're just adhesive on cotton or because the natural rubber will break down. Inherently sticky synthetic pads only fail if they pick up lots of dirt, at which point it makes sense to replace them anyway.

Reactions: Ron K
Name
Jeff T
I have a customer in an electric wheelchair same issue with a 100knot Tibetan. We put latex over the back and used double-sided tape around the perimeter NO pad, works well zero movement or buckling
This is kinda what I was thinking Randy...

U. S. VET.

Name
U. S. VET.
Newbe Alert • • •

whatever is done • fully document what was discussed • emphasis : safety precautions / hazards associated with new conditions, discussed prior to installation • sign print date everything.

The mods you make could create legal culpability, even if the appearance of the room is identical.

You are addressing a safety issue • that’s why this is a little different than others • & culpability is at a higher level because of that.

Ron K

You could cut out the hardwood and set it in the floor and stretch the rug into the opening..
"100knot Tibetan" Every rug and Person(weight of chair) will react differently.
It's emotional.....emotions aren't necessarily logical.
Good luck....please do tell ,Geoffrey, your successful results.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Like I said earlier , anything YOU DO makes you liable.
Offer suggestions but let them decide and never do it for them.

Unless they agree to put you in their will.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom