Need help with 870 chem injection.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
@Lee Stockwell , @Jim Martin and anyone else. Need a little help guys. My 870’s chem injection seems to be clogged. It works fine on “Prime” but when I switch it to “On” nothing pumps through. I can hear the pump clicking away trying, but nothing is flowing through. Do I need to take apart the valve and clean it out?

E648D17A-418C-4D6D-8238-1658A6DF13A3.jpeg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
9E79DDD6-855D-4626-B8F5-EC12E179AA06.jpeg
Crap. How do I remove this thing. I removed the inner nut. Doesn’t seem to want to pull out.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ok got it out and am running machine letting it squirt out the hole to blast it out.

image.jpg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well that didn’t work. Checking for cracks. Can’t see anything. Could the metering knob be clogged? Because it pulls fine when “prime” but not on “on”

image.jpg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Pulled meter valve. Looks like it has some debris inside. Testing that out.

A827829F-36B5-43EE-BE7E-9325B0C16AE6.jpeg
9F1DBB81-8130-4750-8383-010269A4854A.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Lee and I meant the plastic flow meter. When it gets a chemical leak, you can prime, but when you try to meter the chemical, the air leak causes you to lose prime.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
first thing I would have done was to pull the check valves and see if something was stuck under the cap...or maybe a broken spring......most the time when I hear that they are working on prime but not when you turn it to on...that is usually the problem...if you do not find any problems with the check valve on both the chemical pump and the general pump...then check the diagram ......a foot valve at the end the suction line that goes into the rinse tank is always helpful also....

J

JS41035

When you say it works I’m assuming the flow meter goes all the way up to 10 or maxed out. Is that with flow? It will suck the ball to the top with vacuum. So that doesn’t mean the chem pump is actually pumping rinse solution. But most likely you have a blown rubber diaphragm in the chem pump. It’s a 10 minute fix. That chem pump comes apart super easy.
I’m sorry but have to say it. The ball valve that isolated the chem pump is open right? :icon_razz:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think Vortex was the only machine that took the time to isolate their chemical pumps from the high pressure of tile cleaning...it should be a must on all of them...they will tell you that they can hold the pressure fine...but I have yet to see on that does not get affected by it sooner or later....

Reactions: JS41035
J

JS41035

Just remember that on an 870, when the chemical pump is turned to prime, it is not really using the pulsation from the general pump to move chemical from your rinse jug. It is mainly using vacuum to draw chemical through the pump. When in “prime” it will draw chemical even if the chem pump diaphragm is completely shot. On older prochem 405s there was always two clear lines going into the chemical jug. One of course to draw chemical, the other was a return line for when the three way valve was set to “prime”.
But on an 870, there is no return line going back to the chemical jug. It is now hooked to the vacuum system. That clear plastic line hooks to the vacuum manifold on the right side of the Machine.
So in “prime “ the machine will still show flow. But in reality the only reason is because the machines HG is just pulling it through the chemical pump from the jug.
I hope that made sense.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
When you say it works I’m assuming the flow meter goes all the way up to 10 or maxed out. Is that with flow? It will suck the ball to the top with vacuum. So that doesn’t mean the chem pump is actually pumping rinse solution. But most likely you have a blown rubber diaphragm in the chem pump. It’s a 10 minute fix. That chem pump comes apart super easy.
I’m sorry but have to say it. The ball valve that isolated the chem pump is open right? :icon_razz:
Yes meter pegs at the top on prime.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
O
pretty sure it is either check valve or diaphragm.....
ok. The check valve looks titty pink. So I’ll blow out the system with compressed air when I get home and if that doesn’t identify the leaks, then check out the diaphragm. Seriously. Thank you guys.

J

JS41035

Check the diaphragm first. You don’t have to disconnect the clear plastic lines. It has a union int the center. Just need two large adjustable wrench’s or channel locks. Super easy compared to the old brass pumps that you had to unscrew from the low pressure manifold of the pump. These just split in half easy peasy

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Very loose and green. Could this be the guilty party. Let’s find out. Nope. Not it. Tearing pump apart now while on the job.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom