Need help with water stains on upholstery

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
I have a customer that has what appears to be water staining on her sofa cushions. She said the staining appeared after she attempted to clean them herself. Not sure what fabric it is cause the sofa was re-upholstered years ago and their are no longer any tags. It doesnt appear to be anything special though. I tried cleaning one of the cushions with a fine fabric rinse and my Drimaster Uph tool and had no luck removing the stains. Anyone have suggestions on what I can use to remove this type of staining?

I'm with Lee, distilled water. If that doesn't work perhaps the sizing has been removed leaving the watermarking stain.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I just use a little cotton shampoo.

Don't ever go by the tag. Tags from the US usually only list the stuffing.

Often they are wrong as to the cleaning recommendation.

Canadian tags list the outer covering fabric.

When in doubt do a burn test.

You Do know how to do a burn test, Don't you?

leesenter

Canadian tags rarely list the outer covering even though they are supposed to.
i am with the distilled water idea. And dampout the entire panel.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Agreed, distilled water first whole panel EVENLY. If that doesn't completely work. Try a light cotton/natural fabric cleaner, again cleaning the whole panel evenly.

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
Hoody said:
Agreed, distilled water first whole panel EVENLY. If that doesn't completely work. Try a light cotton/natural fabric cleaner, again cleaning the whole panel evenly.
Thanks guys for the input. Im gonna try the distilled water

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I've had ok luck with wetting the material evenly then spray a reducer and let the sun hit it for a while.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And potassium metabisulfite is.....(drum roll please)

A reducing agent! I'll wager the primary ingredient ingredient in most reducing chemicals. Albert's got it - sunlight helps boost the reaction. (available in powder form at most winemaking shops)

Name
R.J. Povio
It sounds like the powdered Fiber rinse is like a Stain Magic product. I have tried (Stain Magic) that on water and coffee stains that did not come out on a normal cleaning and has worked sometimes.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Distilled water.

Use other chemistry as recommended above if it fails, but you'd be surprised how often and how well it works.

Back
Top Bottom