Need idea for thermal relief and pressure valve

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I have been playing with an old LG coil I have laying around and built a catalytic heat exchanger out of it. It gets alot hotter than I ever thought it would so I am going to run with it. I have a problem with melting the hose now. I put a pressure relief valve on it assuming that as the water got hotter and turned to steam it would blow off.... it does, but still getting a little too hot. I am having trouble finding a valve that will bypass at about 200 degrees and still handle at least 500psi.

I know I can buy a heat exchanger system and exhaust diverter, but this is more fun for me.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I know Cat Pumps sells a thermo relief valve. I have a couple of them laying around. I think they are preset to 165 and 185 degrees.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
have you looked into pressure washer websites???

My heater has a 250 bypass on it...200 may be to cool

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Chris, your solution of lowering the temp using a pressure relief may not work as you intend. The problem is that water under pressure boils at a much higher temp than normal. At 500 psi, the boiling point is arounf 470 degF. even way down at 200 psi, the boiling point is still around 380 degF. by the time the water flashes to steam in the pressurized system and opens the relief, you already have really high temps.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Pictures

I had this idea about using a catalytic converter for a heat exchanger because they get so hot inside. I thought this would be a way wat to make a pto unit a flame throwing beast.

Scott Rogers

Just use a thermostat and solenoid. when the temp reaches the temp the thermostat is set at it opens the electric solenoid to circulate the water. This would be completely adjustable to allow for times you dont require high heat such as upholstery and area rugs .Should be able to get both a suitable solenoid and thermostat at your local grangers.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I have a Prodigy thermostat running a Dema 454P Solenoid valve on my truckmount.

It is set at 260 degrees and 600 psi and works all day long with 0 problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom