Need some opinions on using before and afters

DevilDog

It has always bothered me when companies use before and after pics that are not theirs...but someone elses.

However I see so many companies doing it so I am thinking about doing this myself. We are getting close to having our website done and the final touch is before and afters....especially on tile and grout.

What is your opinion on using pics that are NOT yours? If you do this do you let the client know they are not pics of work you have done...or do you just not say anything.

I am extremely honest and straight forward but I am thinking maybe I am over thinking this deal.

DevilDog

G

Your just trying to show a potential customer the basic idea of what you
offer!
So I think you have no reason to be concerned about it!

Go for it!
And keep your mouth shut!

Cheers, AL

Chads

Supportive Member
keep it honest its just good carma ,and let your conscious rest at ease :)

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Certainly, using your own pics is best but I think there's a difference between taking credit for the work and using pics as a representation of the sort of results people can expect.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
why not use your own pics? It's not expensive to get a digital camera and they are easy to use one small enough to carry around and take pics of jobs .....then again some people are lazy.

it can possibly hurt business, I did cleaning/repair job from Atlanta last year basically the cleaners photos where on 2 or 3 different web sites which gave the client doubt they did any repair at all they had a friend here so they shipped them up here.

Kelly

You know, when ever people show me before and after pictures, I'm usually pretty quick to ask..."so you did this"? And either you are prepared to lie through your teeth or you're not. Then I usually continue to ask for another couple of sets of before and after pictures as well. So that means you should at least have a couple of more sets of pictures that you are prepared to lie about as well. Or, you could just have pictures of stuff you actually have done and not worry about being a piss poor liar and getting caught at it. I personally have found that good customer relations aren't built on lies you get caught in. lol Oh yeah and if i can see them from your own digital camera....you get the "picture" right? lmao

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the pictures you're using are purchased from the person that took them, and they are representative of your work, they're just marketing images. If you steal them from a website or brochure and pretend they're yours you deserve a dump truck load of bad luck and a lawsuit from the rightful owners.

I like Tony's before and after leather repair photos showing an imperfect repair. If the customer is OK with what they see, your work will be at least as good as what they've approved, and you don't have to make excuses about why their job didn't turn out as well as your pictures.

Mix a few almosts in with the perfects and customers will be more likely to believe what you say.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
They should be your own. Why not buy a camera. If you keep it in your van I'm sure you'll have plenty in a few weeks. Tell your web guy to make the page and you will send him pics in a few weeks.

Albert

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
DevilDog said:
It has always bothered me when companies use before and after pics that are not theirs...but someone elses.

However I see so many companies doing it so I am thinking about doing this myself. "

I don't understand why you feel you must do something that has always bothered you when other companies do it. You wouldn't do bait and switch just because so many other guys do it. In this day and age taking a digital picture of your own results is as easy as pie. On the other hand, if it will expedite the completion of your web site, I would use the pictures, and update them later with my own results, particularly the T/G pics which are pretty generic. Good luck.

harryhides

Name
Tony
This from a guy who has pretty much at one time or another slammed everyone here as being a flaming hack/moron and every slime ball politician that has ever lived of lying too. Be the straight up Marine corps man you are so proud of & stop thinking about emulating GW Bush, ya moron hack !!

DevilDog

LOL! Geez Harry!! Pms'ing today!! LOL.

What I think I am going to do is use some of the pics we have plus some others and let the client know "this is the type of results you can expect", or something along that line.

The reason I ask is that Dirty Grout has some excellent before and afters...and you can purchase them.

I will NOT let the client think they are mine.

I am actually a very good amateur photographer with the goal of being pro. But I usually do not take a camera into my clients homes!! That does not always go over well.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Just wanted to see what others thought. It has always bothered me to see before and after pics on sites that I knew were not theirs.

Harry, take some f'n ibuprofen and stock up on pads dude. It looks like it might be flowing for a damn week with you.

DevilDog

harryhides

Name
Tony
DevilDog said:
I am actually a very good amateur photographer with the goal of being pro. But I usually do not take a camera into my clients homes!! That does not always go over well.
DevilDog

Todd, is there ANYTHING that you NOT are amazingly good at ??

And since you seldom take a camera into a customers house ( pathetic excuse) how would you know how it would go over ??
Besides, you can always create your own stains and damage for your pictures, DUH !!

Having a great time here in Texas and no sign of any flow.

Becker

Name
Becker
You come up with some pretty stupid question Todd.

You feel you are a good photographer, good enough to some day become pro, along with all the other lofty goals to belt out.

Grab any descent camera and shot your own before and afters.

You don't have to give excuses. It's your work, or your companies work.

Becker

Name
Becker
You have a point Terry.

It is not often I come across the job that would be good for before and after pics.
I have to say I like it that way!

DevilDog

Believe it or not....some people do not like pics of their carpets being taken.

And yes Harry, I am a very good photographer.

But when I first started we would take before and afters all the time...and a number of times we had clients that did NOT like it!!

And legally, even though it would be hard to identify whose house it was, you need to get permission. And do not argue with me on that one...it is a fact.

But I got my answers....and Howdy Doody...just shut the you know what up...you don't count.

Go take one of your fake trips again!!!

And one more point...we want high quality before and after pics...not the junk I see on so many carpet cleaning websites. And that is where the DirtyGrout.com pics come in handy.

My site will be top notch...not the pathetic sites so many here have.

DevilDog

Bob Foster

I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh! I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh!I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh!I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh! I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh! I got a camera yeaahhhhhhhh! Do you have a camera? yeaaaahhhhhhhhh!

harryhides

Name
Tony
DevilDog said:
Believe it or not....some people do not like pics of their carpets being taken.

And legally, even though it would be hard to identify whose house it was, you need to get permission. And do not argue with me on that one...it is a fact.
My site will be top notch...not the pathetic sites so many here have.

DevilDog

Umm, Todd, perhaps if you were not laying on your back when pretending to take pictures of the carpet your customers would not object ??
Try to remember to change your oogling habits of Hooters lunches when in a customers home. I have not had a single customer object or threaten strangulation in 20 yrs of taking pictures of carpet or fabric - must be my charming ways and sophisticated accent that Marty is so envious of.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
stealing pictures

If the pictures you're using are purchased from the person that took them, and they are representative of your work, they're just marketing images. If you steal them from a website or brochure and pretend they're yours you deserve a dump truck load of bad luck and a lawsuit from the rightful owners.

Interesting and timely thread. I happened to notice that the IICRC decided to use my bought and paid for picture off our website (without my permission) for the last survey they put out. I wrote a letter to the editor and have not received a response.

See Pg. 26
http://www.certifiedcleaners.org/downlo ... port07.pdf
and
http://applebycleaning.com/carpet.

Interesting that this "institute" is supposed to represent integrity, but feels it is okay to pirate a picture off my website.

Joe Appleby
Appleby Cleaning & Restoration Inc.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Mustard?

My employee (model), my photographer, my camera, my picture.

Joe Appleby
Appleby Cleaning & Restoration Inc.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you purchase your photos and don't have an exclusive use agreement, the photographer can sell them to anyone.

Even if you pay a photographer to take photos of your work or employees, they still own the photos and can sell them to someone else. For this reason I'd recommend against working with a photographer that wants to keep the rights to the photos you pay them to take.

Joe, I noticed that Harris Interactive was paid to do the survey, so they may have been the ones that used your photos for the report.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Oh Great Oz,

I see your point. Harris Interactive was hired by the IICRC.

The image however, never left my camera or my hands. It was definitely cut and pasted from our website.

As you know, it takes a lot of time and energy to get a custom quality image of your business. This is one of the few we did professionally. It is also wrapped on our carpet cleaning vans. I find it frustrating that anyone can take it without permission for there own gain.

just a lolipop kid from Oakland

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom