Needing some advice about vlm

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have had great results with my cimex over the years for commercial carpet cleaning. With gas prices going up and vlm chemicals and technology improving I am giving more serious consideration to purchasing an op machine and doing vlm cleaning on some of our lightly soiled rentals and a select few residential. I have a couple small truckmounts and believe hwe is still the bast all around method and have no intention of getting rid of them however I think encap and vlm has came a long way and could benefit the bottom line. I already have a ford windstar minivan set up for janitorial with a 3 gallon spot extractor on board and was thinking that an orbot would fit on there niceley and be a great addition. I have no doubt in my mind that op could reallhy work well on commercial and would be an awesome addition to the cimex especially for a large hote account we dol but still hear a small voice inside of me telling me not to vlm residential. I also noitice when customers see me use the cimex even if Im getting great results still question the method leading me to believe that in an occupied residential situation an I might lose percieved value of my service if the customer thinks its a chickenshit method. Anyway I am open to any thoughts or ideas from you turds as far as integrating an op machine in to my business. Also does anyone have any before and after pics of vlm cleaning on residential?

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have had a really hard time keeping residential customers happy with OP. My customers don't seem to like the idea of a pad or bonnet. Around here people are willing to accept a 175 with a brush but, as soon as I start using a pad, I get a lot of questions about the cleaning. Every customer that I used OP, asked for "the machine with the hoses on the next cleaning". I even cleaned a few houses where I let myself in and cleaned with no one home. They were really happy with the results until I cleaned for them when they were home. They no longer thought that the carpet came out as clean as the last few cleanings.

I have been using CRB machine with the BrushPro system and the referrals are rolling in. I have more and more people asking for "that new machine". People seem to really like it and I'm getting great results. I will try to get some before and after pics.

Name
Andy McFadden
I was a vlm only cleaner for a number of years, (mostly with OP). For sure , you can get great results on most residential carpet. BUT I had the exact same problem as mentioned above. It was an up hill battle tring to win pepole over to vlm cleaning. Sence going to HWE as my primary method, my repeats and refferals took off!!

However it is a good idea to have a vlm option for those times when it shines . If all your planning to use VLM on is light soil carpets , then I say OP is overkill, just spend 600 or 700 on a good 175, it will clean light soil just fine, and save you from spending thousands. If your going to clean dirty stuff , then go for the OP.

Rob, are you using the compound with your brush pro, or just scrub and run?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have couple good 175s. I have just been flirting with op . I do alot of work with the cimex and having another encap machine would reallybe nice for a hotel we do with alot of square footage. I also think it would be nice for rentals during the winter when its in the single didgets and I dont want to bring out the truckmount. I think on some larger residential jobs for example especialy vacant real estate or for example if we where cleaning a houses main level and the customer wanted a small room all the way on the other side of the house it would be handy. What are the best chems for residential op cleaning

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I too am afraid of VLM. It's a series of letters that scare people. I tell people I'm going to use VLM and I get looks from them that remind me of a horror show where zombies are going to come in and eat their brains.

I've done it several times in homes like most of you....when the people weren't home.
After going home I would take a shower for what seemed like hours.......I would use soap and scrub my skin raw.
My wife would knock on the door asking if everything was allright.

I would just simply say....."leave me alone!"

When I did come out I could tell I just wasn't right.
I would jump into my car and drive the ten miles to my Wal-mart.....I ran to the ice cream aisle.....I would grab all of the Ben& Jerry's Chunkey Monkey ice cream. Sitting in my car eating ice cream and crying my eyes out....wondering if this VLM was....the right thing to do.

After eating all of my ice cream I would drive home and climb into bed...it would be well after midnight.

Then not able to sleep I reached out for the hand lotion........little muffled sounds came out of my mouth so as to not wake my wife.
For what seemed like hours I would finally fall asleep.

Folks this VLM is dangerous stuff.
Don't become addicted to it.

Because in the back of your mind.........you just know it's all wrong...it's all wrong.....it's unholy.

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

just tell em its the difference between hosing off or using a wash clothe. when ive used that line i get the head nod like they get it. but i dont use it on residential usually but i have had some request it after seeing it used on commercial.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I use the compound and the Encap spray. They work very well on most carpet, even heavily soiled. I also have a portable on the truck to extract if needed. I'm really close to getting rid of my TM.

Mikey P

Administrator
I love it and recommend it highly

for commercial.

Get yourself a Cimex or Trinity and some magic pixie juice, explain to your customers whats really happening and make a mint while "mowing the lawn"..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Only Brian Robinson would condone such a vile act in an occupied residential setting, and then collect money for his efforts............nuff said.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
CLASSIC JiMMy - A MUST READ!

I too am afraid of VLM. It's a series of letters that scare people. I tell people I'm going to use VLM and I get looks from them that remind me of a horror show where zombies are going to come in and eat their brains.

I've done it several times in homes like most of you....when the people weren't home.
After going home I would take a shower for what seemed like hours.......I would use soap and scrub my skin raw.
My wife would knock on the door asking if everything was allright.

I would just simply say....."leave me alone!"

When I did come out I could tell I just wasn't right.
I would jump into my car and drive the ten miles to my Wal-mart.....I ran to the ice cream aisle.....I would grab all of the Ben& Jerry's Chunkey Monkey ice cream. Sitting in my car eating ice cream and crying my eyes out....wondering if this VLM was....the right thing to do.

After eating all of my ice cream I would drive home and climb into bed...it would be well after midnight.

Then not able to sleep I reached out for the hand lotion........little muffled sounds came out of my mouth so as to not wake my wife.
For what seemed like hours I would finally fall asleep.

Folks this VLM is dangerous stuff.
Don't become addicted to it.

Because in the back of your mind.........you just know it's all wrong...it's all wrong.....it's unholy.

Thank you for your return. It's been far too long since we all had a treat like this. Thank you SIR!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
You need to see what real HWE can do before you explore other methods. Step up to a number 4 blower and high flow. I have several used units for sale if you want to demo one. I will make you a great deal on a Prochem Legend for under 2k, Other Units Under 15k with a van and machine that actually runs.

Mikey P

Administrator
Jimmy would you mind coming to M9F and reciting your masterpiece (with a paper bag over your head) IF I turn the lights off in the auditorium?

Free 8 ounce bottle of Releasit for your troubles.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
You need to see what real HWE can do before you explore other methods. Step up to a number 4 blower and high flow. I have several used units for sale if you want to demo one. I will make you a great deal on a Prochem Legend for under 2k, Other Units a van and machine that actually runs.
the legend sounds nice lol........ I do plan on grabbing a tm with a bigger blower but am looking at this from an efficiency standpoint

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
It sure is funny how SOME of you wet cleaners will defend your method down to the last dying minute.
We all know that no one method has the market cornered on results so why are you guys trying to fool yourselves.
Every method has its strengths and weaknesess in a given situation. In the wrong hands and that means the majority (in my opinion) HWE produces very poor results at best.

Name
Andy McFadden
Not to be a jerk, but that is a silly statement. I agree a guy can benifit by having both systems on the truck , but success will come easier with TM , if your a residential cleaner. I know several guys that do well as OP only, (I did my self for a number of years) Not saying you cant do it , but is a battle at times.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I understand not wanting to run hoses in minus 30 temps, and VLM can be less costly than extraction, but you won't save time over running your hose to the other end of the house. If you set up efficiently with your truckmount, the only place you gain time using VLM is on large square footage jobs.

Also please remember that people do live in rentals, and they and their children are not disposable. Think about that before you shrug about moving commercial methodology into apartment cleaning.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I understand not wanting to run hoses in minus 30 temps, and VLM can be less costly than extraction, but you won't save time over running your hose to the other end of the house. If you set up efficiently with your truckmount, the only place you gain time using VLM is on large square footage jobs.

Also please remember that people do live in rentals, and they and their children are not disposable. Think about that before you shrug about moving commercial methodology into apartment cleaning.
Before we all

go into attack mode against vlm, I am only wanting to ad a tool to the tool box and said at the begining of this post I still believe hwe is the superior way to clean. On the other hand from a business stand point it is up to the business owners to take advantge of new technology to remain profitable. Lets take this rental situation for example. Most have us probley have a property management account that gets apartments cleaned no matter what even if the apartment clearly doesnt appear to need cleaned.This would be a great candidate for op. Or for example a 10 level hotel account we have that we cant reach every nook and cranny with the truck mount and they are too cheap to pay the price to have me pre scrub and hwe with a porty on upper levels. I have saw first hand the differance owning the cimex has made on my bottom line . The whole purpose of this thread is just exploring the idea of making an investment of an op machine. I would say that if the larger chucnk of your revenue comes from occupied residential , an op machine may not be your best investment. However only about 10% of my revenue comes from occupied residential and the rest comes from vacant real estate and commercial. Because we do so much commercial already this would give us a chance to increase our production rate on larger jobs especialy hotels and office buildings by having two machines running instead of just the cimex. I own 2 truckmounts so I certanley dont need to hear the hwe disertation. I am however firm in my belief that as business owners we should keep an open mind when it comes to new ideas and ways of doing things especially if these new ideas can greatly effect profitablity

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom