Negative feedback.....?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We have a local ladies only Facbook page that has close to 3,200 members. We often are "named" when people ask for carpet cleaning recommendations.

This response was posted to a recent request for a cleaning company.

Please make sure you get estimates first.....we have (unfortunately) had very creative pricing over the past few years.....my vote is for Xxx xxx xxx-honest, reasonable and great job!

I thought the name was familiar and looked her up in Service Monster....sure enough she "was" a client of ours. Used us 6 times in since February of 2008.

But, she didn't name us....which I find interesting.

I sent her the following message.....

Hi xxxxxx. I saw your post on CBGF and thought I recognized your name as one of our customers. I see you recommended a different company. I was able to look your information up in my system and saw that you used us six times starting in 2008 and as recently as October of last year. Repeat and referral business it the main crux of our company and customers like you are key to our ongoing success.. Seeing as you were a repeat customer for such a long time, I would like to know what happened to cause us to loose your business? I would appreciate your feedback and the chance to discuss your concerns. Based on your post I am interested in learning more about what you mean by "creative pricing", as we quote over the phone, do a full walk through and present the total to get approval before beginning work. If you could take some time to call me and share your feedback, It would be invaluable to us. xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thoughts?

Deleted attachment - FredC

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was shown on a couple of months back where a person on facebook was asking who they recommended for carpet cleaning. Someone mentioned us and the person asking said "yes they are very good, we've used them for several times but I'm looking for cheaper". :eekk:

Nothing you can do about that. :icon_neutral:

Reactions: Mike Draper

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
but I'm looking for cheaper".
Nothing you can do about that.

I agree....but if there was something more than just the price, I'd like to know. We will never win the job if it's based on price.

She was loyal for many years....usually if it's a price thing, they use us once (to see if there is a "difference") and never again (but typically they do see the difference and stick with us).

And if she found someone that meets her needs and did as good of a job as us for a lot less, I'd like to know that too....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I thought about contacting her but she already stated she was looking for cheaper. We can be many things but its awful hard for us to be cheap and still make it worth our while. :errf:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
When this is the house...it's not going to be inexpensive with that kind of sq. footage...

upload_2015-10-19_14-37-54.png
upload_2015-10-19_14-44-57.png

Plus many wool area rugs...

And 8 areas of water claw from dog piss....

I know you can't win/keep them all, but I know the "lifetime value" of a good customer. Service Monster has this great feature that shows you the Invoice Average when you pull up a Detail Profile for an account. Her's is $13,877.79. So it pinches a bit to loose a customer like this.

There wasn't an issue for 7 years...so I want to know what happened....why the change Who knows...maybe her hubby lost his job and they can't afford our services any more. Maybe that is why she didn't call us out cause she doesn't want anyone to know they are having financial issues and they have to keep up apperances...

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Nate W.
Could it be possible you've priced yourself out of her market.....? Yes raising your prices over the years isn't a bad thing, it's just that you loose customers through the process... It's also possible that the other company does a great job for less too... Is that a new company or one that's been around for years? If new, it's not shocking to have lower starting prices...

Like Ed York told my pops in a conversation way back when........."Would you rather clean 20 houses for 10cents SF or 10 houses for 20cents SF"... I always like less work, I must be related to @Desk Jockey .........:lol:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I always like less work

Agreed...and maybe we did loose to someone who is newer to the game and does same quality work for less money. I'm fine with that, just really curious to know why she decided to make the switch at this point....or if there is something we could have done different/better to have kept her.

Name
Nate W.
Agreed...and maybe we did loose to someone who is newer to the game and does same quality work for less money. I'm fine with that, just really curious to know why she decided to make the switch at this point....or if there is something we could have done different/better to have kept her.

Your more brave then most.... We've lost a few over the years to price, only to have some come back later..... If you can get an answer out of her, (other than price) that'd be pretty awesome.....

Maybe she felt you guys should have paid off the equipment already.... :stir:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think Mikey has hit on the point that concerns you Meg.

"Creative" has overtones of inconsistent, or worse yet, perhaps bordering on "less than honest pricing". That would get my attention as well.

Meg, I am NOT suggesting that your pricing has any inconsistencies or dishonesty of course. But if that perception exists, you surely need to address it, even if you no longer keep that particular customer on because they have made a budgetary decision.

I don't like, but understand and accept the loss of a customer to a lower priced competitor. I could never allow myself to accept losing one because of the issues being hinted at in her post.

You are absolutely right to follow up on this.

If she's an unreasonable individual, you won't likely change her mind. But if she reveals to you what things you might do in how you price that triggered that feeling on her part, it can end up being very helpful marketing research for you.

I wish you the best with this.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'll leave out a lot of details, as some here might remember the story, but during the early years of MB a cleaner here was really letting one of his accounts "have it" over considering a competitor of his on a bid, and while he didn't mention either by name, the competitor saw it (he was a lurker, never someone who posted) and he gave the link and his password to the account in question.

He lost the account, and also another part of a personal relationship tied in with that account.

Meg, I'd consider removing the part of the post that mentions her name and the competitor's name in the post, just in case.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You confronted her...............now she will NEVER call you again no matter what you do.

You took it personal...............move on.

Mike Draper

While professional, I censed a little bit of contention in the email. I wouldnt expect that she is going to call you or email you. No good thing last forevor. As long as your growing each year thats what matters.

EDS

Name
Ed
I think feed back is a good thing as long as you are prepared to roll with the punches and listen (rather then defend...even silently in your head) what the customer has to say. The customer is always right...even when they are WRONG.

Reactions: PrimaDonna

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Only one thing missing: What's in it for the client?
She already moved to someone else. Why would she expose herself to an inconvenience (writing it) and letting someone know why they were dumped (unpleasant).
If she was on friendly terms, to begin with, she would have already called and discussed the issue prior to switching to another company.

I would add something like (please improve it): We know that you are busy and appreciate the feedback and your honesty, etc. etc. etc. if you do call/write (send via pigeon) us we will donate $100.00 (whatever you feel comfortable with Prima, and don't be cheap if it is invaluable for you) (how about them "free" spotters? :winky:) on your behalf to your charity of choice.

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
There is actually a lot of research on this topic. People are likely to tell 10-20 others about a bad experience. One one that "meets" their expectations...nada. And you really have to go above and beyond to get people to mention you to others in a positive way and usually they only tell 4-5. And this research was done pre social media. So the numbers of people it reaches now are intensified.

But what is interesting is why people tell so many others about the "negative" and not the actual company/provider/eating establishment of their unhappiness.

Check this out.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2013...ess-world-but-haven-t?redirectFromSplash=true

And this is why I sent her a message....
http://www.marketresearchworld.net/content/view/1617/74/

Reactions: EDS

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
And this is a great info graphic.

http://www.helpscout.net/75-customer-service-facts-quotes-statistics/

Personally, I thing most companies don't do a great job of seeking feedback. Especially what would be considered negative feedback.

This is where you learn the most and what is more valuable than the positive....

And why I felt compelled to follow up with this customer. Not to win her back, but to find out why she left and to do what we can from loosing others like her.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom