New Business Computer

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
My old computer gave up the ghost and my son said it was beyond reasonable to repair. My QB (2008) won't launch and it has been insane here trying to deal with orders without a PC or QB.

So my son has suggested a new computer which he says should suit the environment better and is fanless and solid state. Shipping the parts to him to build and pull my back up info from Google Drive.

My son is pretty tech savvy, but thought I would get a second opinion from our resident techies here. He is also building the same type, but less powerful, for Karen and we will be updating QB's. Not sure if I am doing 2015 premier manf & whlsle or the online version. I think the online equivalent doesn't do inventory control and price levels like the M&W version does, so have to talk to the QB folks first.

Either way we will have QB on both computers for the first time. Previously we have juggled seats to use the file on just my computer. The online version has extra seats free, the Premier you have to pay for the extra seat.

This is what he suggests I get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856164007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233588

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820148699

Take care,
Lisa

FredC

Village Idiot
all the hardware works/is compatible

not what I would but.............ymmv

Name
cameron demille
If you have never used a solid state drive before, you're in for a treat. I won't use anything else now. I use a 250gb for all my programs and operating system and a 2gb WD Black drive for storage.

I have 2 cloud backup drives and an external hard drive. Back your shit up. I learned the hard way more than once.

FredC

Village Idiot
Lol...you aren't luring me into that.................. Your kid wants to build a mini PC...by all means let him. He is also building a backup for the chance he may have to RMA the components. :D

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
If you have never used a solid state drive before, you're in for a treat. I won't use anything else now. I use a 250gb for all my programs and operating system and a 2gb WD Black drive for storage.

I have 2 cloud backup drives and an external hard drive. Back your shit up. I learned the hard way more than once.

My old computer was not solid state and he said I need it. He also said because the dogs hang out in the office and the fans pull dog hair in I should get fanless and low voltage so it stays cooler. He likes the Brix. He set up 8 of them for the place he works and says they are reliable.

What difference will I notice?

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Lol...you aren't luring me into that.................. Your kid wants to build a mini PC...by all means let him. He is also building a backup for the chance he may have to RMA the components. :D

I wasn't trying to lure you into anything. I just thought if anyone had other suggestions I would bring it up with him. He didn't want to do the second machine. I asked him to because Karen's computer processor is so old it won't run QB, so if I get a second seat I need a better computer.

Take care,
Lisa

FredC

Village Idiot
Sorry Lisa. Not trying to be an ass. I don't have any suggestions. The components he selected are compatible, from reputable companies, and should do anything you want. I might consider similar builds for a small media center or "all in one"

for my mom I'd tell her to buy something that comes bundled with support............perhaps with a longer warranty than the year gigabyte warranty and not take the chance of dealing with multiple companies RMA process.

In fact I would tell her to dial back on the specs in favor of the longer warranty period since she would have no use for the additional capabilities

Edit: and probably the biggest thing you will notice with a SSD is quick boots

Last edited:

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
The solid state drives offer no moving parts and are a little pricy right now, but what a difference in speed. They really are the way to go, prices will drop over the next 18 months then you can get a larger HD at a more reasonable price. 8 Gig of ram is just enough but that will also depend on which OS you intend to install. The i5 CUP will work well for your needs and you have graphics built in. I'd say you're looking good. New Egg is a reputable company.

Reactions: Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
Just enough for what? Its more than enough to run quickbooks and browse pug pictures on the net running 7 or 8.

and I'd be really surprised if Lisa could fill up a 500 gig drive before its life was up................which is usually shorter for a SSD

Last edited:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Personally, I would go to the store and find something that meets my budget and needs and be done with it. SSD drives are fast, noiseless but cost more.

Reactions: FredC

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
Just enough for what? Its more than enough to run quickbooks and browse pug pictures on the net running 7 or 8.

and I'd be really surprised if Lisa could fill up a 500 gig drive before its life was up................which is usually shorter for a SSD
Hey Fred, I'm kinda like capt. Kirk always wanting more power. What's really cool is how small the format is and you can even slam it on the back of your monitor. I just built one about 6 months ago but didn't go the SSD route because of price. Looking forward to adding them when prices drop a bit.

FredC

Village Idiot
Don't get me wrong.....I get that........I build all my own stuff and love high end hardware...although I don't buy much anymore

but I also realize that Lisa wouldn't benefit throwing 8 gigs of memory in when it is very unlikely she will actually use 4gb except on rare occasions

Yes mini/micro/nano PCs are cool...........but not the best option for every application

edit: and I would use the NUC

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Jim

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Guys until September 28 2012 I was an IT guy that did business fit outs and networks.

I love reliable, fast gear that has uptime to burn.

Have you considered a Mac....

No... Have you....Mac OS X is FAST, it stays up for months at a time. Mac Mini machines are cheap, quiet, cool running and have terrific support.

And you can run Windows should you chose. But... You won't because Quickbooks is native to the Macintosh.

You will - largely - buy out of the virus and spyware headaches. Printers will install themselves. Networking is just as painless, even between Macs and Windiws PCs. Time Machine is a boon.

The Mac will just back anything you modify up every 60 minutes.

It just makes the computer something the user doesn't have to self manage anymore.

I have always been happy to work on PCs. Never would I buy one however.

I've come to expect more.

Grant

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Macbook Lisa.

Mac mini, if you want a desktop.

Mel loves the MacBook Air I got her but it sounds like you're looking for the Pro.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Yeah but are they fanless?

Karen and I work in an office with 14 dogs laying around. Even though it is vacced and mopped daily, that is still a lot of hair floating around and pugs shed a ton.

I will ask him about a Mac. He is a FredC for a mid-sized company with about 35 employees. He does the IT and networking and also the advertising and marketing.....and construction, mechanic and sales sometimes as well as needed....LOL! Not sure why he has never used Macs, will ask. He has the whole company set up on these BRIX and they are doing great there.

Take care,
Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fook the PC's, you breathing all that crap can't be good for you either. Especially if you have allergies?

How about a small air filtering device/air scrubber to knock down some of the small particulate. A low speed exhaust fan?

I've seen kennels that have a small negative air pressure pull put on them, to keep the particulate down. Works pretty good too.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Fook the PC's, you breathing all that crap can't be good for you either. Especially if you have allergies?

How about a small air filtering device/air scrubber to knock down some of the small particulate. A low speed exhaust fan?

I've seen kennels that have a small negative air pressure pull put on them, to keep the particulate down. Works pretty good too.

It's not THAT bad! It's not a kennel, it's a home. He just says it's not good for the computer. Especially since it only gets taken out and blown out inside once or twice a year. :icon_redface: I have a fear of unhooking stuff and not knowing how to hook it back up properly.

The house is clean, it doesn't smell and there is no visible hair, but the Roomba fills every night when it makes the trek through. We change the premium charcoal filter on the HVAC unit monthly and I don't have allergies or allergic symptoms and neither does Mike or Karen. Dogs get washed every two weeks. That's more often than most carpet cleaners bathe!

Take care,
Lisa

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The Mac's are fanless or Solid state. Silent, cool, you'd love it.

Mac mini is built that way too, if you want a solid and capable desktop.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I talked to him about the points everyone made. He says Mac is great, but it might be a learning curve and an equivalent Mac would cost me double or more what this set up is. He usually works for dinner and gas money, LOL! And I may have compatibility issues with my printers, label makers and such..

He says for about $20 difference he opted to go with the 8 instead of 4 on the memory because he would rather I had too much than not enough when cost isn't a major concern. He also laughed and said you should see my computer ( his emoticom: :hopeless:) ....I have a bad habit of just saving everything to my desktop or downloads and not organizing into folders or naming the files. I have over 12000 pics alone. He told me that what I do is equivalent to getting a paper and just flinging them all over my shoulder into a huge pile and then expecting my poor PC to find the right one when I need it. :icon_redface: He's right, I am guilty. So I guess I bog a computer down really quickly and he doesn't live close enough to come maintain it regularly. Plus he has a full time job, so I hate to do that to him.

He built my last computer in 2008 and it's been great up until now. In fact he says it would still be great - but my younger son came home from Japan and tried to "improve" it for me (they are both IT guys and VERY competitive with each other) by trying to install a super cooling fan, which didn't really fit in the case (duct tape works, right?), and two sticks of "value" ram. The older one was pissed. The fan didn't cool correctly because it wasn't mounted right and the 2 sticks of value ram were not a good match with the two sticks of good ram.

He says the warranty issue is a valid point, and I could purchase the extended warranty and backup protection, but he has never had a bit of problems with the same component units he built for work and they are brutal on their computers there, and keeping costs down is imperative.

So, I bought the components he suggested and a downsized version for Karen and hopefully we'll be good to go for another 8-10 years or so. (crosses fingers).

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Desk Jockey

FredC

Village Idiot
You never have problems.........until you do....................then you end up with totes full of dead hardware :D

partsispart - Copy - Copy.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the box works for what you want to do, great. Just make sure you have real-time backup set up, so any component failure becomes just the downtime while plunking in a replacement part.

You could be running a dual power supply server with mirrored hard drives, but since the kid works with computers I'll bet he knows you don't need that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom