New Chevy Van Coming?

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
This is awesome. I have looked at 2005 Astros a few times. Those things where great. I owned 3 over the years. Looks like Chevy finally got there head out of their butt.
Now watch them be over priced like the transits. IMHO

Reactions: everfresh1

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
This is awesome. I have looked at 2005 Astros a few times. Those things where great. I owned 3 over the years. Looks like Chevy finally got there head out of their butt.
Now watch them be over priced like the transits. IMHO

I've owned 5 Astros, and still have two, they are great vans, and last if you take care of them.I cant wait to see this new van

Buck1955

Name
John
I understand that Mercedes wont allow any engine mods including a direct drive shaft or they void the warranty. It wont fit in my shop anyway, just have to stay with this gas hog. No offense Marty

Chris A

Name
Chris

ya outta theirs, and right into Nissans! I think the Express 1500 V6 is the closest thing your gonna get to the old Astro Vans

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Show me ONE FWD van with a clutch-drive PTO. Anybody ?

It can be done, but the economies of scale aren't there.

Ford already has the Transit, Chrysler has the Fiat (ProMaster), possibly GM with the Vauxhall, and the Sprinter by whoever.

None of these will have the numbers to warrant a totally new design.Larry

Instead of engaging in this entertaining yet useless discussion, Larry and ProChem and SS and Butler etc, why don't you get ahead of the curve and produce what some of us need.
Most of us (I assume) do not really care if it is A PTO or a slide in. I personally couldn't care less as they both make units that are great.

I use a PTO for a few reasons:
1) Space saving design. In the city I have problems parking a van let alone an extended van. However I carry a lot of chemicals and tools.
2) I need to be able to work out of a locked van, so people do not steal rugs when I carry them, or equipment.
3) I need a machine that is not very noisy, as that can be an issue at some places.
4) And I still want a machine that has plenty of heat and suction (no, I don't need a fire breather or the suction of a Vortex) just good heat and suction.
5) And one fuel source.

So Larry, why don't you and the manufacturers take that into account?
Why don't you put your energy into producing a slide in that has the space saving design of say a CDS. That has the ability to allow the machine to breath (fans, combined with opening vents, somehow channeling the hot air out?) while the doors being locked and that does not sound very noisy. That has good heat + suction and a powerful dependable motor.

Do that and we'll all be lining up to buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not really Richard.
Their slide ins cannot be operated with closed doors & are quite noisy. And the space efficient ones like the 370, to my understanding, do not yet have enough power or heat to be high performance set ups.

They are definitely a move in the right direction though. You got to give it to Sapphire, they are dynamic and they do try to listen and produce machines and products that are closer to what we want.
Hopefully they will keep at it in the future and also some of the other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ofer;

You made some good points.

The venting of a slide-in is difficult because of the airflow of the blower, as well as that of the engine.

Combined, they are in the range of 600 CFM.

It would take venting of several sq. ft. to move that amount of CFM with little restriction.

Noise is another area which we have worked on,

by offering stainless steel exhaust and silencer systems,

to maintain effectiveness, without restricting the blower system.

We have tailored out of the truck stainless exhaust systems,

which do lessen the db level, while removing a good portion of the total CFM airflow.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom