New Rotovac Sheardry Tool

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
The ShearDry is not intended to be a tool that you can hold up in the air and spray without over spray or dripping. It is intended to clean upholstery without over spray or dripping and that is what exactly it does. The ShearDry has two water canals adjacent to the two vacuum slots that actually fill with water uniformly from the solution holes during cleaning. The water is then sucked across the fiber with a shearing action in an even flow with no over spray or dripping. Another advantage of this water delivery system is that you do not get the spray lines on the fabric like you do with the SS tool. In addition, the vacuum slot is closer to the nose and edge than the SS tool for closer corner and edge cleaning.

Thanks for that explanation Jeff, I had posted on another post asking you a question before I read this post.

:yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the design and its light weight but upholstery has many edges and curves that you break contact with the surface while cleaning. So if the odd spraying was purposely designed in, I think it was a mistake and would function better without it.

I do love the XL, it really restores the traffic areas!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I second Richard.
I liked the flow and the even distribution of the water while cleaning (short trial at MF 10) and I certainly ain't SS choir boy.
But having it over spray while an edge of the tool is off the fabric is a big no no.

If you can fix that you may sell a lot more tools.

And while talking about fixing an upholstery tool. How about DryMaster-3? And as they say in the cleaning hood: This time maybe they be listening to the cleaners?

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm reading this and thinking, boy are we getting spoiled!

If the edge of the tool comes off the fabric, what do you do? You put your hand over the tool to cup it. Duh!
That tool isn't putting out near the water that my HK tool does and the HK tool is definitely NOT a free flowing tool. If you trigger it when its off the fabric, you're going to soak something! But put it on the fabric and it cleans like a hot damn.
The best tool I could think to make would be an HK made out of plastic rather than the white metal.

reads to me like that tool you bought will serve you nicely. Just learn how it works and what its limitations are. A man's got to know his limitations!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea I get that Ron, that's how I clean with all tools to maintain suction. However I think if you used the tool you'd find it annoying that occasionally you spray yourself, a wall, a lampshade, a painting, all for no real reason. :errf:

Reactions: Art Kelley

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
The ShearDry is no more a rip off of your idea than your Hoss is a rip off of the RX-20. Only difference is that the ShearDry is an improvement where I can't say the same for the Hoss. Remember that the owner of Rotovac (Cliff Monson) is the inventor of Rotary Extraction, so who is copying who and still getting it wrong. Remember the DryMaster disaster? The ShearDry tool works fantastic so for you to say we got it wrong is simply not true. Throwing stones from a glass house is generally not a good idea.
I used my RX 20 for over five years. Got an HOSS a couple weeks ago. I greatly prefer the HOSS because: lighter weight, more efficient extraction (No need for dry strokes!), the turntable doesn't grab cords and other objects like the suspension of the RX. Althiugh not a deciding factor in my purchase, this superior, in my opinion, tool is priced about $800 less.

Jeff, how much real cleaning experience do you have with the HOSS?

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Yea I get that Ron, that's how I clean with all tools to maintain suction. However I think if you used the tool you'd find it annoying that occasionally you spray yourself, a wall, a lampshade, a painting, all for no real reason. :errf:

I remember Richard. My first uph tool was the old Kleenrite, man, that thing sprayed EVERYWHERE even when it was ON the fabric. I did put drop sheets everywhere, except the ceiling, it was safe there.
I invested in the first drimaster tool, got tired of that one and went to the HK. Its heavy, but it works great.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

Back in the day I went though at least a dozen of the Kleenrite's. Went to Murray's school twice and a third with Wally Weber teaching. I didn't think anyone would every make a better tool. I loved the look when they went to the black and silver but it eventually chipped off.

Then Prochem came out with theirs and we loved them. I liked the Drimaster we had 1/2 dozen of them. We were using them up until the Sapphire came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
So the Sheardry sprays a bit of water when not in contact with the fabric surface??

When you get those round corners and the like where the tool cannot be fully on the fabric, why not simply spray that area, then go over the area doing a dry stroke ??

This has worked for me for several decades.

Here's a pic of a NEW Fabrex SS tool, I've used a copy from the people that still sell them.

Fabrex_zpsc5b52ce3.jpg

Back in the day, they were the top tool down under.

But jeez, were they heavy & cumbersome, definitely not ergonomically friendly.

I've had mine for over twenty years, it's somewhere in the shed. :redface:

I think that maybe Chemspec may have made them in the U.S.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
We all know how to compensate for tools short comings. Everybody here does it on a daily basis.
However, there are tools now and older tools as well (pmf internal jet) that do not do it. Hallelujah!
So this is good feedback for a serious manufacturer. A lot better than the alternative, which will be voting with our wallet and not buying it.

And no stories please on how you guys cleaned 7 sectionals with a tooth brush and a glass of water, in 15 minutes. Please :winky:

The HK seem (to me) to be a wrist killer & so does the DM-3. Does CUMBERSOME strike a bell?

Tooth brushes are rumored to be great on the wrist.

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It is annoying and unnecessary to have water streams shooting from a tool that is designed to clean with a flowing sheet of water like the SS Upholstery Pro does. It also sets you up for damage claims if you aren't paying attention to where errant water ends up. I consider this tool a first generation model and this overspray problem will be solved. It's cleaning ability is outstanding, as is it's ergometrics and weight.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I guess that just like the tools we use, we are all different and each have our own idiosyncrasies.

I carry several different tools in the van & use each for a particular job that I find most appropriate.

Never tried the toothbrush thing, but used the HK many times.

I agree with Ofer partially, I also thought (prior to purchase) that it would be a killer on the wrist and arms.

After much procrastinating, & due to constant post reading from a famous Steamway guy, :winky: I finally bit the bullet & bought one,

Did it ever surprise me.

I don't use it on every job, but on large surfaces, I believe it beats my Sapphire.

Granted it is a bit weighty, but not uncomfortable, I've worked it solid for 6 straight hours & not regretted it.

On the more intricate and ornate pieces, I do prefer the Sapphire.

On other pieces I may use a clear PMF or a very small tool that comes in a box of 4.

We all prefer different wimmen, trucks, drinks & food, why should not our upholstery tools be different??

It's all handy to have a tee piece made up with two quick connects, this way you can have both the HK & SS hooked up to solution, and just change the vacuum hose when you want to switch tools.:winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom