New to Carpet Cleaning

Rogerjr

Name
Roger
Hey Folk's,

New to the forum and carpet cleaning. Was thinking of starting my own carpet cleaning business here in Connecticut. I've been looking at the Rotovac to start maybe. I don't have the funds for a truck mount system so was thinking portable. I've been looking around on here and seeing some other companies that people are talking about. Any advice would be great. I know don't do it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Do it but try and do a ride along as a helper first it's not for everybody.

Welcome to the worlds greatest carpet cleaning forum

Reactions: GeeeAus

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
View attachment 4266View attachment 4267View attachment 4268

I know this guy trying to sell this set up for $7500 BO .. 2001 Extended E250 5.4 with 122,000mi and a 3.2 newer version Spitfire with 800 hrs .. portables are fine and dandy but I think Truckmounts are more efficient .. youll probably spend close to $7500 anyway with a decent van and new portable ..

Welcome aboard !!

If you do go portable, since I love my Edic Galaxy 2700 which holds 17 gallons, heated, 500psi and great suction, I HIGHLY recommend getting one .. or at least try it!!

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't necessarily agree with that, I financed two vans in the early years after I bought my business which helped free up my cash flow top invest in other areas while knowing I had reliable equipment to finish any job. Sure is nice not to have payments now but I think smart borrowing is a good thing for business growth

Rogerjr

Name
Roger
I'm sure it's not the easiest job out there and I'm not afraid to work. Like most you have to start somewhere I guess. I figured I would ask to hear from folks who have been there.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Like most owner operated businesses, it can be great, and horrible, often in the same day. In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty good gig

Chris A

Name
Chris
Keeping your overhead low is definitely a good idea until you get a steady work flow. Lots of used portables on Craig's

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you choose to go the portable rout.

• Get a good 2 three stage motors and a good wand. If you take the time to do it right you can do a very good job. You can add other toys as your business grows.
  • Heat is nice but you can do a great job without a heater and less chance of flipping circuit breakers. You'll compensate by wise use of the TACT elements- (Time, agitation, chemical strength, temperature).

And per business:

• Don't go the I'll be the cheapest rout (it usually leads to going out of business, unless you can work volume).
  • Under promise and over deliver.
  • Spend time on creating a good marketable image and on marketing.
  • Have another part time job or some savings to carry you through the lean times in the beginning.
  • Decide on what kind of clients you want and what kind of service you offer. Hard to be the right one for all.

Going for a ride along with someone will help.
The search button is your friend.

and .........good luck.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Some may make it look easy, it aint!

Pay for everything, don't finance anything. Sorry Reps : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

This advice struck a cord with me. It has been where I have and started a business from grass roots too. It can be a bit daunting, you will have to make equipment compromises but that doesn't exclude you.

What it means is YOU will have to work your arse off. You'll sweat plenty and lose weight and it will kill you initially. But after a few weeks the challenge reduces slightly because you've done it a few times now. The loading and unloading gets easier and you get faster at it. Your fitness improves and you can do the pace.

Just read a lot now, you need to take on as much information as you possibly can. Watch YouTube videos and in particular watch videos of these guys.

Experiment at home, do your own house, car and upholstery. See how different materials, chemistries and processes work. If you can clean without damaging stuff and to a good standard then you might like being a cleaner. If the work or the results aren't there for you, you can get out earlier without taking as big of a hit.

Once you have established you can and like to clean, marketing becomes a HUGE issue. Your business is not cleaning, you business is selling cleaning bookings. This is something I am very bad at and I'm 15 months in. It takes time to get all your ducks in a row. Do you have some income stability while you go through the transition? There are many growing pains ahead.

You will have a good start in the Rotovac system. Most here are super supportive and the TM stuff is mostly in jest. Out in the bigger wider world of the Internet however there will be people who for many reasons will denigrate you for being a portable user. I'm not talking about some fun, I mean REALLY - denigrate you personally.

Just keep focus on tomorrow morning when this happens. If you cleaned with your portable yesterday, you can do it again tomorrow. Nobody who throws mud has anything to really say about what happens when you go to the next job. Just learn to filter, it helps a lot.

There are those of us who haven't even got what you may start out with.

Welcome.....

Grant

Last edited:

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
If you choose to go the portable rout.

• Get a good 2 three stage motors and a good wand. If you take the time to do it right you can do a very good job. You can add other toys as your business grows.
  • Heat is nice but you can do a great job without a heater and less chance of flipping circuit breakers. You'll compensate by wise use of the TACT elements- (Time, agitation, chemical strength, temperature).

And per business:

• Don't go the I'll be the cheapest rout (it usually leads to going out of business, unless you can work volume).
  • Under promise and over deliver.
  • Spend time on creating a good marketable image and on marketing.
  • Have another part time job or some savings to carry you through the lean times in the beginning.
  • Decide on what kind of clients you want and what kind of service you offer. Hard to be the right one for all.

Going for a ride along with someone will help.
The search button is your friend.

and .........good luck.

WoW.....

Fair bit of experience speaking in that reply.

Thanks I learnt something too.

Grant

Reactions: ruff

Rogerjr

Name
Roger
I work another job so it would be me doing the carpets on the side. I was a real estate agent at one time, not very long but have a lot of contacts there still. I think that would help some.

What about a decent extractor with one of those SS Hoss machine or the Rotovac 360i? Would those be a good deal to start with maybe a wand as well?

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I dont know too much about leasing but that might be an option .. is it true if you decide you dont want the equipment, you just give it back .. please clarify .. cause if thats true, Id probably want to consider that as an option ..

I know a few are probably biting their nails when they are saying , yes, get started with a portable .. knowing how much more conveinent and efficient running a truckmount would be ..

I started with a 12 gallon Steamex out of the hatch of my Chevette .. doing restaurant work (1) .. if its a side gig, then its probably no big deal to run with a portable ..

not only will you need to learn about how to clean - but how to market, manage, etc .. good luck!!

Get all your Real Estate buddies/associates on board with referring

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I would focus on sales vs the best equipment. You can get the best rotary out there, spend 5-8k on a top of the line Porty or "etm" setup and have no work.

Reactions: Cleantechsk
Name
Damon
That looks like a really good deal, especially for a start up.

I know this guy trying to sell this set up for $7500 BO .. 2001 Extended E250 5.4 with 122,000mi and a 3.2 newer version Spitfire with 800 hrs .. portables are fine and dandy but I think Truckmounts are more efficient .. youll probably spend close to $7500 anyway with a decent van and new portable ..

Welcome aboard !!

If you do go portable, since I love my Edic Galaxy 2700 which holds 17 gallons, heated, 500psi and great suction, I HIGHLY recommend getting one .. or at least try it!!

Reactions: Spurlington

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'd definitely put some time behind the wand before spending too much $. It's a hard enough job to work alone out of a van and do a great job. Try doing that with a portable and no experience and I believe the odds are stacked against you.

Take a serious look around for an older, but well cared for truckmount. It's a different world...working out of a truck. Portables are very cumbersome and a lot of work.

The Clean Machine

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I work another job so it would be me doing the carpets on the side. I was a real estate agent at one time, not very long but have a lot of contacts there still. I think that would help some.

What about a decent extractor with one of those SS Hoss machine or the Rotovac 360i? Would those be a good deal to start with maybe a wand as well?
I am looking at these as well though I will tell you straight up that I can clean as well as a Rotovac with a Bissell Big Green because I use a cheap (well for you they are) disc scrub machine to work in my pretreatments before I let it dwell and then sour extract it.

You can buy a disc machine for pennies where you live. And they do encap work (commercial account$) :headbang: and hard floors too. This is to say nothing of the bonnetting dry of carpets you clean down the track with your rotary when you get one. So no jobs ever wick on you and you can be a hero.

For now think disc machine, unless you are going to kit the Rotovac out with all the pad and brush drivers by which time you have a disc machine.

http://youtu.be/SOcBRw_VER4

IMG_4224_zps4350f09d.jpg

Grant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogerjr

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Consider waiting until you can afford a good used TM. You'll be miles ahead by skipping the portable phase we've all grown through. A good high powered portable is not cheap and while it can clean, it leaves you at a competitive disadvantage when compared to a TM in production and ease of use.

Results will also be hard to match that of a TM without a lot of extra effort.

Most of all, the clients expect you to have a TM and the perception of anything less is they are getting less than primo service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino

Welcome aboard !!

That looks like a really good deal, especially for a start up.

Consider waiting until you can afford a good used TM. You'll be miles ahead by skipping the portable phase we've all grown through. A good high powered portable is not cheap and while it can do n leaves you at a competitive disadvantage when compared to a TM in production and ease of use.

Most of all, the clients expect you to have a TM and the perception of anything less is they are getting less than primo service.

Yeah!!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If I were starting over, I'd learn about marketing as much and as fast as you can. Marketing will get you the work.
Learn the social media and internet marketing methods, ie website SEO etc

At the same time, you need to be learning how to do the job right so when you DO get the work they will readily refer you.

If you are in a big city you can market to high rises if all you have is the portable. Do the houses as they come up.
As you get more proficient, take the carpet cleaning technician course, and then take a couple uph cleaning courses with a short time gap. You won't be doing as much furniture at first but it is the best add-on service since you're already there and set up for carpets. By taking two courses back to back within a short period of time you will retain more and be more proficient and confident.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man, I would hate to have to go back and clean with a portable, but that's where I started. Almost all of us started with portables. I was broke when I started. Most of us were broke when we started. I bet you're broke too.

Don't listen to these old farts with TM's and foggy memories. We started with portables and survived.

If you're as hard working, as careful and as smart as we are (5th grade is good), you'll be fine.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Man, I would hate to have to go back and clean with a portable, but that's where I started. Almost all of us started with portables. I was broke when I started. Most of us were broke when we started. I bet you're broke too.

Don't listen to these old farts with TM's and foggy memories. We started with portables and survived.

If you're as hard working, as careful and as smart as we are (5th grade is good), you'll be fine.

He's right about the portys, I started w/one. I'm also sure some(clients) won't ever call back because of it. Made me a better cleaner.

Call distys in your area, some have rentals(portys) they will sell. Got my first one used $1500.

I wouldn't worry about a 3k hoss or roto thing at this point. Most come with a wand, use that. Clients, that's what you need. Oh, and a website... And fans, good ones.

AND don't forget about winter, thing sloooow way down. Bringing a portable in through the snow and ice, using a pick up, the good old days.

Reactions: Rogerjr

Jamesh921

Name
James
Consider waiting until you can afford a good used TM. You'll be miles ahead by skipping the portable phase we've all grown through. A good high powered portable is not cheap and while it can do n leaves you at a competitive disadvantage when compared to a TM in production and ease of use.

You better listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom