Mr.V

Re: New van to the us!

just when I thought I couldn't find an uglier van than a sprinter

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel

Hey Kevin,

Over here VW sell a small compact like that called the Caddy. Do you guys have them in the States? I can they do, and you haven't noticed them, it would probably interest you as well. The Ford looks good though!

Jim

Name
Kevin McCreary

Get used to it, its the wave of the future. They run micro vans all around the world like this
where fuel cost significantly more. Fuel here is not going to get cheaper.
Jim this is the first real commercial micro van in the us. Ever since I went over seas and saw one I always
wanted to import a HiJet or some fuel efficient van. The steering and emmisions would not work in the US.
We have had mini vans, but they aren't very fuel efficient. I figured you would be a good guy to ask how
to fit all of that stuff in such a small van.

G

Yes Kevin,it would be a good fit and I think you could still have some fresh water if you want,it can handle 1600#s

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

Way small. Only 5X6 cargo area. I can barely get everything I need into a full-size extended Ford.

Surprised that it has a 1,600lb payload capacity, however.

Name
Kevin McCreary

John La Rue said:
Way small. Only 5X6 cargo area. I can barely get everything I need into a full-size extended Ford.

Its built Ford Tough!

With a Focus motor!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

Kevin McCreary said:
[quote="John La Rue":2i92co23]Way small. Only 5X6 cargo area. I can barely get everything I need into a full-size extended Ford.

Its built Ford Tough!

With a Focus motor![/quote:2i92co23]

hahahaha OMG there is a statement :roll: :roll:

Name
Nate W.

Jim Bethel said:
Hey Kevin,

Over here VW sell a small compact like that called the Caddy. Do you guys have them in the States? I can they do, and you haven't noticed them, it would probably interest you as well. The Ford looks good though!

Jim

The black and the white ones were my old caddy's. I always wanted one of your guys newer caddy's. :mrgreen:

DSC_0274.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris

5000 LB GVW, 1600 LB payload, GMAFB! Load that sucker down and see how long she lasts! A one ton Ford has a payload capacity of 4100 Lbs, btw.

G

c_adkins said:
5000 LB GVW, 1600 LB payload, GMAFB! Load that sucker down and see how long she lasts! A one ton Ford has a payload capacity of 4100 Lbs, btw.
That would be a 2 ton in my math book

Name
Kevin McCreary

Jim has sent me proof it can be done!
1238988788-1.jpg

1238988788.jpg

1238988787.jpg

1238988788.jpg

1238988788-1.jpg

He said the red truck was just temporarily set in the van for a show.

I think you could set an El Diablo in the side door butted up against the seats

and a 300ft hose reel in the back.

Attachments

• 1238988788.jpg
    1238988788.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 121
  • 1238988788-1.jpg
    1238988788-1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 111

roro

Name
Ross Craig

Here's our smallest - over 300K on the clock and still going well mechanically. (bit of rust starting to appear on the nosecone though which is a common fault). It's an Opel rebadged as a Holden(GM) Combo.
Careful placement of shelving and machine placement made it reasonably efficient to use despite only having double barn doors at rear.

roro

Combovan.jpg

RLitwin

I have a 421 and have been waiting for that van to come here. I've been on their mailing list for about a year. All the pricing that had been sent to me had it starting at about 14k.

Name
Kevin McCreary
I talked with Ford National fleet dealer and he told me 21900. Purchased with fleet credits
I could get it around 18.

Greenie

There isn't a reason in the world that should List for over $15K, it does have less "inside" cost than a sedan, panel vans should be the most price competitive.

None the less, just wait for the Electro TM crowd to set their sights on that, the running cost savings would make the van free every month if fuel jumps a dollar a gallon this year.

Is there room under the chassis for a 10 gal LP tank?

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I would be more concerned about the 7" clearance underneath that thing. You would bottom out on the speed bumps around here.

Chris A

Name
Chris

Kevin P said:
[quote="c_adkins":aavnihid]5000 LB GVW, 1600 LB payload, GMAFB! Load that sucker down and see how long she lasts! A one ton Ford has a payload capacity of 4100 Lbs, btw.
That would be a 2 ton in my math book[/quote:aavnihid]

E-350 GVW 9500, curb weight 5330. 9500-5330= 4170

G

You got that right Jeff; man that van looks sweet; All my stuff will fit nicely. I wnder what the insurance cost is compared to an American mini van though. I would hate to gain a small economy gain and get killed on insurance!!

:lol: :lol: :roll:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I see the mount, I see the reels, now where the hell does everything else go? Wand, sprayers, vac, chems? Take out the pass. seat?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
too small for my needs

empty dry weight on my bare bones E-250 Super Cargo is 3900 and some change.
GVW is 8450 for a payload of 4500 pounds

1600 pound payload isn't enough and that thing SURE doesn't have enough room

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't think you could even shoehorn your powermatic in there by itself!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
c_adkins said:
I don't think you could even shoehorn your powermatic in there by itself!

I'd have a hard time fitting just my cooler of energy pops and donuts in that thing......

..L.T.A.

ron markam

It would fit my space needs ,but I would be concerned about the power.A 4 cyl with under 140 horses seems underpowered to me. I do not see how it can carry what Ford says it can with a 4 cyl.

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
What is needed is a new pair of glasses. Obviously one cannot fit everything that one would normally put in a full size van.Only the essentials are needed,not the what ifs or maybes.

I've been looking at this vehicle for over a year now and have been wondering/daydreaming about layouts in regards to equipment choice.One of Duane's compact units with a apo,slim hose reels,no waste tank,nor a fresh tank,would definitely save space but would require water availability.

If I'm not mistaken,on the website I think ford shows a picture of one without the front passenger seat,one could easily fill that space with a piece of necessary gear,the orbot could shine well here-not superfluous.

Rethinking and paring down what is put into the vehicle requires a little time and effort but the weight (gas/money) savings would be great.

Its just like going from traditional backpacking to ultralight hiking,the difference between 45-55 pounds to 5-15 pounds is phenomenal.

One could easily make it a dedicated-specific type service vehicle.The small compact euro styling makes it less intimidating (I'm assuming) to our mainly large female client base/market,not to mention easier to get around,park ect...Some driveways are ridiculously small and narrow as well as commercial environment.

Just my thoughts,Patrick

Chris A

Name
Chris
A compact CDS type machine would be tits in this situation, 45 blower, 50-75 gal waste tank ala hydramaster. machine and hoses out the side, little space left in the back for other tools. That would be the only way I'd be interested.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
It looks like that Ford Pinto Station Wagon all it needs is the round bubble window in the back. Perfect for the Porty Gal Club.

Golden Boy

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Any MPG advantage would be offset by increased trips to the shop for essential equipment that would normally be kept on a full-size van. And I've never had a situation where the reduced size vs my E250 Extended would have been an advantage.

I'll pass.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom