Newsletterish handout/mailer needs some input, I'm not really thrilled with it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My New Years Resolution is to complete the things I start (better quit starting stuff huh?) I have a couple dozen marketing projects that are in different stages I have to complete.

Anyway I have this newsletter that was originally designed as a handout now they want it as both a mailer and handout.

It needs some input, I'm not really thrilled with it and would appreciate anything that would make it better.

Chavez_Newsletter-1_zps3a71ae30.jpg

Chavez_Newsletter-2_zps6d2108af.jpg

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Hey Doc,

re-read the 24hr Response block, last paragraph ( But they also they also )

I like it so far, it is clean and not overdone.

Chris

Mikey P

Administrator
the top round photo, will locals recognize that location and what you are doing there?

if not replace with a kitten or a head shot of you and Dan.

Mikey P

Administrator
Rich let me ask a tough question...with a world full of Mertys, do you think the name "Chavez" losses you some ultra white clientele?

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I would like to see your name in the newsletter header.
Chavez
Cleaning and Restoration News

Also in the givers gain idea some suggestions on the emergency plan other than call you after it happens.
What about phones, computers, employee call plan.

Where is the cleaning news. It's a good marketing piece but not a newsletter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks David, great ideas!

I'm not sure what to call it, at this point its more of an abomination. ;)

I have a years worth of content ready to drop in, looks like I'll need to consider an name change or adding some of the other content that is newsworthy.

I look at a piece an eventually lose interest in it and file it away and every now and then I'll pull it out and work on it again. After so much time I make changes with no consideration for the original intent.

Great points that will definitely improve it. Thank you!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Rich let me ask a tough question...with a world full of Mertys, do you think the name "Chavez" losses you some ultra white clientele?
I'm sure it has to Mike to some degree anyway. We've in Kansas, there has to be some people that will NEVER use us because of who we are, our heritage and the color of our skin.

Like my father did when he named this business, he stuck it right out there. He didn't want to fool anyone, he wanted anyone that had a problem with a brown guy at their doorstep to know right off.

That's also why he put such an emphasis on education, training and using high quality chems and equipment, you can chose others but it will be difficult for you to chose anyone better.

For the most part I don't think it has hurt or helped being a minority in this business. But we also don't do any gubbermint work, where it might make a difference??? We don't want, and don't need any preferential treatment!

Connor

Name
Connor
I'm sure it has to Mike to some degree anyway. We've in Kansas, there has to be some people that will NEVER use us because of who we are, our heritage and the color of our skin.

That's racist!

It's not just Kan-sass, there's folks like that all over the world, especially Puerto Ricans. lol. Call a Puerto Rican a Mexican and he'll cut ya.

For the most part I don't think it has hurt or helped being a minority in this business. But we also don't do any gubbermint work, where it might make a difference??? We don't want, and don't need any preferential treatment!

Hmm, now you've got me re-thinking claiming my Native American status.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I like Chavez and as long as you ain't holding up lil old ladies and robbing liquor stores we good brotha! :winky:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
On the right side of the first page, I love the first paragraph. I get why you put the part about your employees, to emphasize the dedication but someone may interpret that as calling your company is inconveniencing your staff, especially if they're just scanning. I would consider taking that part out, and stress on 1) Professionalism, 2) Education and training, 3) Empathy / Willingness to serve, 5) No obligation/free damage assessment and estimate. Number 5 is on the back, but many people want to know if calling you is going to cost anything to just arrive at their home, so put that on the front as well, in bold or caps.

So if it were me again keep the first paragraph. Second paragraph, boast about education/training - continued education, possibly enough equipment for larger losses(no loss too small or large), and professionalism. Third paragraph tie in empathy to the possibility of a disaster(though you did that in the first paragraph), willingness to serve, and let them know it won't cost them anything to assess and estimate.

For people like Marty who may be a bit slow...

Ya tell 'em you want the work and they can depend on ya, you got the right chit to do the job, and it ain't gonna cost them anything to look at your ugly self when ya first get there.

Last edited:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Richard,
Sorry to sound like a broken record. But instead of advertising "free estimates" (which reduces the visit to ONLY money) why not say "a free 12 point (or whatever) pre-inspection that includes a guaranteed-in-writing price"?

Steve

PS Also, what happened to your copy suggesting they tell their insurance company "I want Chavez on the job!" I liked that. (Of course, then you might get woken up at 3 AM!)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Put Beckers white bread cracker lookin' ass on it...that'll work..........

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks Hoody & Steve T. I will make notes of the edits.

I didn't explain myself well enough, what about the design?

I originally designed my handout/flyer in house, Dan later thought we should give it to a designer to make us a template and where we make content and photo changes quarterly.

Mine did not have the large photo's of trucks (which I like) so I'm wondering is that over done?

Yes Steve, everything this year has the tag line "Disasters happen and when they do, tell your insurance provider you want Chavez". That reminds me, I've got to order new lens for our home show displays.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I know what you mean Richard. I write copy for brochures all the time and then sit them aside to revisit and make changes. That's why I took your trifold flyer. I like it a lot but want to make a few changes. Of course. I already talked to Wayne about doing something with it. I also want a flyer that can be functional as a mailer and a handout. Why can't we all put our heads together and come up with something that we all can adapt for our own use? And on the flyer you put on here I would lose all the part on lower left about being prepared. I would make the pic bigger and tell them why to call you when the shit hits the fan or whatever.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Richard, I like what you are doing. I wish I was as far along as you. What do you suggest for a smaller company on a limited budget, limited time and no creative skills do to produce all of this stuff? Lol, just steal all of yours?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Steal all you can! J/K

Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas and making it you own. If you have a decent camera take shots if you don't spend a little and pay someone who does have a camera to take some good shots for you. You just need a few of your photos and some decent text the. go find a good graphic artist . They don't have to be the most expensive, new and hungry woks too. Students are great low budget options. Check around, once you find them then its just working on the projects you see value in. I keep a pen on me an write down ideas, phrases and design ideas all the time. I was with my wife renewing her license and saw a poster on the wall I took a picture of the layout will be perfect for a table display for Homeshows.

You can do it just start looking, get some shots and you're off and running!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
In the heading, you seem to have mixed your grammar up to my mind.

You have four statements but reverse the plurality.

DisasterS happen,
roof leakS
pipe breakS
hoseS fail.

Maybe I'm being picky, and if so, feel free to try some of those German words you know :)

I'd shift the 'S' to all the first words.

Also, the last two are very similar, can you not think of something else to add in instead to diversify further?

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

John, my younger brother Luis told me the same thing as I had him proof it. I was just so tired of seeing it I told him just get it printed, I'm already working on the next one and we will do better with it. He just looked at me and asked if I was serious.

I played with it for a month, I just wanted to see it gone.

The cuss words? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom