NO HEAT

glenboy

Name
GLEN
TOMORROW I AM REPLACING IT ALL RADIATOR,WATER PUMP THERMOSTAT AND ANTI FREEZE,UPPER,LOWER RAD HOSES. I DID A JOB LAST WEEK AND HAD BARELY ANY HEAT ATW.:hopeless:I FOUND A DRIP AT THE WATER PUMP AND A PIN HOLE LEAK IN THE HX.EVEN THOUGH I HOOK UP TO COLD WATER I REMEMBER IN PAST WINTERS MY GENIE GOT HOTTER ON COLDER WINTER DAYS.IM ASUMING THIS PROBLEM WAS CAUSED BY THE LEAK IN THE WATER PUMP AND POSSIBLY A BAD STAT.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The only thing on your list that is gonna cause your issue is a thermostat that is stuck open. Don't get a stock thermostat, get a 215.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ours hit 195 the other day and it was 33 out.

How olds the HE ? Maybe descale time.

Also, not to b nosy brotha, but umm just how many wishes you ask for :dejection:

Good Luck!

Chris

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah, I'd think all you are doing is a waste...

Let me ask this.

As you drive your van around are you getting heat in the van? Meaning, hot air coming out of the vents, or is it cold, cool, warm?

If you are getting plenty of cabin heat the problem is not your vans coolant getting hot, it is your heat ex-changers, I'd guess something is blocked, diverter stuck open, not anything on the list above.

Now if you have no cabin heat also, I'd start with just a thermostat.

Anything else on the list failing you'd have bigger issues then no ATM heat.

FredC

Village Idiot
probably a bad stat...might as well replace the rest though

and not sure about how the genie heat exchangers work but they may have gotten air in them with the leak and the air needs to be purged...bawb?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ya you can burp those HX using the 1/8 plugs on each end of the tube.....if ya gotta leak....
go see Woody at Mayo Welding....he'll fix it while you wait!
call Tom and see if he has an old White Magic HX.....they kick ass!

Last edited:

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
All of my liquid HX's have an air bleeder valve, you just open it up while filling your coolant, then close it when coolant come out, then run the truck up to operating temp, open the bleeder again and let all of the air/steam out untill fluid comes out. And now the system is "burped"

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The only thing on your list that is gonna cause your issue is a thermostat that is stuck open. Don't get a stock thermostat, get a 215.

I think for the winter it would be fine to use 215degree thermostat but during the summer I would change it back to stock.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys;

I change my Butlers thermostats to a higher one too (205 degrees). I do this because the extended coolant system makes it loose about 10 degrees which makes it get worse gas mileage.

Keep in mind if you go to a higher thermostat that the heat Xer gets it heat through a heater hose in front of the thermostat. That means you'd better have high temp red hoses running to the heat Xer, standard black ones are usually rated to about 195 degrees.

Sincerely,
Dale

Reactions: GCCLee

glenboy

Name
GLEN
this is some very good info,thank you all.I changed the water pump because it had a weep hole drip.yes i did have cabin heat,but i have more now.my white magic HX had a sucky ass welder when it was made,so there was a pinhole leak in it.(fixed) RESPONSE WELDING STERLING HGTS MI.on sunday while i waited.thermostat and hoses were 7 yrs old."its time". and about the red heater lines,i have seen them in heavy equiptment before,thanks for the idea.and i was told that increasing the stat temp is bad for the computer? i wonder.and bob i still wanna get over your way so i can get some ideas from you.thank you all

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bawb's first truck mount......

LastScan1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom