No prevacuum, No CRB, No RE yet.......

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Anyone who doesn't use a pre-filter understands when they go to drain the tank and nothing comes out. Due to the large fur ball obstructing the drain valve.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It stands to reason that a TM has more vacuum than any electric vacuum cleaner.
I suppose someone could engineer a durable air-driven beater bar to cope with the TM suction and air movement. Might be a buck or two in it!

The only pitch that irks me is the “we don’t dry vacuum because my TM is SO powerful there is no need.” As far as I’m concerned it is our obligation to curry as much hair and remove as much soil as we can from the customers’ homes, no matter what it takes.

It is that simple.

Mikey P

Administrator
I wish cleaners would just tell the truth.
You just can’t vacuum and be profitable in some markets. The market just won’t bear it.
It’s really tough in ours.

If nothing else spend 5 minutes in the entries, where the old dude naps and where his dog sleeps.

and the bottom three steps of a stairwell.

steve_64

one man crew sure can't

I vac'd an empty 7 rm townhouse last weekend before Cheech got there with my POS Mytee porty to clean it

it took me 40 minutes to vac right

..L.T.A.
You didn't vac it right in 40 minutes. I'm about 20 minutes a room when I feel I vac well.

steve_64

14 years no pre-filter, no basket in the tank. Seriously why in the thee hell are you guys burdening yourselves with cleaning the f...ing incoming water....
Because I have a clean out I installed next to my driveway and I don't feel its right dumping large balls of crud down the drain to create problems for others.

It's not a big deal to me pull the screen and dump it and flush it with the hose when it gets dirty. Been using paint strainer on busy days so I can just pull them and toss in the trash.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
My customers aren't going to pay me $150 per hour to vacuum for 2 1/2 hours.

However, it can be a selling point when Mrs. Piffleton sees why you charge a bit extra over JoeSixpack Carpet Cleaning. I ask her if she is missing a cat or two and show her the lump. “Can you see why I take longer than the last guy?”

Knowing that you have taken all that out of their home is pretty powerful, if explained diplomatically.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

hogjowl

Idiot™
However, it can be a selling point when Mrs. Piffleton sees why you charge a bit extra over JoeSixpack Carpet Cleaning. I ask her if she is missing a cat or two and show her the lump. “Can you see why I take longer than the last guy?”

Knowing that you have taken all that out of their home is pretty powerful, if explained diplomatically.
It’s not “a bit” longer. It’s twice as long. I have to be twice to 3 times (or more) higher than Joe, or I’m suffering a loss.

Don’t get me wrong, we vacuum every job and we vacuum well, but I can see why some cleaners don’t.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
one man crew sure can't

I vac'd an empty 7 rm townhouse last weekend before Cheech got there with my POS Mytee porty to clean it

it took me 40 minutes to vac right

..L.T.A.
I wish cleaners would just tell the truth.
You just can’t vacuum and be profitable in some markets. The market just won’t bear it.
It’s really tough in ours.

20 minutes to set up the tm, 10 -20 minutes getting the tour and giving advice, moving the car outta the garage and getting the dog to stop sniffing arse. Then setting up the 20 corner guards and 20' of floor covering(or moving blankets) for the wood floors.

All that just so I can now... Vacuum, pre spotting, pre scrub, pre spray, move furniture, rinse, move furniture back, tabs, blocks, air movers, spotting, clean up and then finally get paid...

All this included for a minimum job and done in a couple of hours...!

Seems like a lot of work for one guy.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
However, it can be a selling point when Mrs. Piffleton sees why you charge a bit extra over JoeSixpack Carpet Cleaning.

I s'pose if one is a one man show that collects a mil retirement and can afford to cherry pick 3-5 jobs a week, thats fine.

But there also comes a point where you're a time excessive intrusion into busy peoples lives taking 5-6 hours to do job that's normally done to satisfaction in 3

no knock on Werner, I promise ('cause he's a good man) but I'll bet plenty never call him back due to his OCD

I'm about 20 minutes a room

yeah well, when I was a pothED I could be over zealous on mindless stuff too
like making sure every tiny piece of lint was off the clothes dryer lint screen..

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Because I have a clean out I installed next to my driveway and I don't feel its right dumping large balls of crud down the drain to create problems for others.

It's not a big deal to me pull the screen and dump it and flush it with the hose when it gets dirty. Been using paint strainer on busy days so I can just pull them and toss in the trash.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer in my tank strainer, changed out almost daily, and a knee high in the pre filter box. Even with pre vaccing, I still get full filters. Easier to pull and toss than to clean it out of the tank. There's a clean out right where I pull the van into the shop.

steve_64

So you don't vacuum and you don't groom...yet Owner Ops are "supposedly" better? 🤔

At excuses? Ok, yeah I see that now. 😉
It's not that. It's that you can get a tech with just a couple months experience who doesn't go slow enough to get them clean or dry. Fook the details jyst get it clean and dry in a reasonable time. That's experience. That's what they remember.

I rarely vac first. But my shit holes are done for me.

steve_64

The jobs I vacuum, I spend about 5-6 minutes per room. Just trying to get the most troublesome debris out of the way. My truck mount will vacuum the rest
I can do that with a cuff and pull the paint strainer with all the other crud and be done with it. No need to pull a stinky vac out.

steve_64

I s'pose if one is a one man show that collects a mil retirement and can afford to cherry pick 3-5 jobs a week, thats fine.

But there also comes a point where you're a time excessive intrusion into busy peoples lives taking 5-6 hours to do job that's normally done to satisfaction in 3

no knock on Werner, I promise ('cause he's a good man) but I'll bet plenty never call him back due to his OCD

yeah well, when I was a pothED I could be over zealous on mindless stuff too
like making sure every tiny piece of lint was off the clothes dryer lint screen..

..L.T.A.
It's why I don't vac. Well one reason. I carry one usually for the dog hair jobs but other than that I don't see much difference.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
🤔

20190512_203447.jpg

Reactions: steve_64

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I only vacuum in hair situations or if there is extreme dust and crusties. Since my market is mostly broke and deep in debt yuppies living in McMansions trying to look rich, it's hard to charge over $50 per room. Therefore to gross $100 an hour I just can't prevac every job. I do however pay attention to detail and use a crevice tool on 90% of my jobs and go the extra mile to remove every single spot. My customers are thrilled and keep calling back and referring me so they must be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen

..L.T.A.

Since my monthly retirement check is roughly what some of you make in two days, you’ll understand I am influenced by other considerations. One is the sheer pain of movement, which motivates me to do only the best I can or I don’t waste a day doing garbage work. Customers are forewarned that I am stuck in first gear and yet to date not one has grumbled about the time.
Most often it is “I didn't know I’d get all THAT!”

But I understand the model that requires multiple houses every day and I am happy for those who are still able. And I stand by my comment that showing the customer why their cost was a bit higher can be powerful.
Nowhere did I suggest there isn’t a balance to be found between time and quality for most. Marty nailed it.

However, since I have some fairly tight restraints ( but not financial freedom as you suggested), I choose to be as fussy as possible. Doesn’t have anything to do with how the next guy works and that wasn’t my point anyhow. Ymmv

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom