O/O's - what's the toughest part of running your biz?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
doing the work or finding the work?

or something else?

for me it is finding the work.

i don't pay for advertising (except Servicemagic, which isn't much).

when a prospect or client actually calls me to schedule something before i call them, i'm giddy.

Name
I'm Rick James
If your biggest problem in your business is finding work, then why aren't you advertising?

You should create a marketing plan to help you with your problem.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The toughest part is when you one day realize this won't go on forever. There's nothing better in life than controlling your own destiny and doing something you love. All right, there's a few things better, but they don't pay the bills.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i do advertise, i just don't pay for it. i knock on doors then make follow-up sales calls on the tele to acquire most all my clients. wouldn't work as well if i was mostly residential i realize.

or would it :shock:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Derek said:
doing the work or finding the work?

or something else?
Finding the balance between the two. For many O/O's it is "feast or famine". They are either running to get the work on the books done (which means sales/marketing gets neglected) or they are desperately scrambling to fill their schedule again.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Oh well, it beats punching a clock for a living. Seriously ...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
or something else?

Steve stole my thunder somewhat.

the "something else" is smoothing out the peaks and valleys .
Which means mostly having the disciple to not blow your whole wad during peak times eating steak everyday ....so you're able to have a little meAt with your beans 'N rice during the valley lows

..L.T.A.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Finding the balance between the two. For many O/O's it is "feast or famine". They are either running to get the work on the books done (which means sales/marketing gets neglected) or they are desperately scrambling to fill their schedule again.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Oh well, it beats punching a clock for a living. Seriously ...[/quote]

That is pretty much me in a nutshell. I was planning on a SFS class in 2012 till the hearing issue I spoke of in another thread. I'll see how that turns out first.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Keep in mind that Derek does mostly if not all commercial work. So he does not need to pay for advertising like most companies who gets the majority of their work from residential.

Able 1

Name
Keith
tmdry said:
Keep in mind that Derek does mostly if not all commercial work. So he does not need to pay for advertising like most companies who gets the majority of their work from residential.

Then who does have to pay? :mrgreen:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Art Kelley said:
The toughest part is when you one day realize this won't go on forever. There's nothing better in life than controlling your own destiny and doing something you love. All right, there's a few things better, but they don't pay the bills.
Art youve been cleaning for longer than I been alive, thats pretty close to forever old chap :lol: :lol: . I think the hardest part of my business is wearing every hat .

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Art Kelley said:

Telling myself that I’m not going to be a small op carpet jockey forever is reassuring thought.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
ACE said:
Art Kelley said:

Telling myself that I’m not going to be a small op carpet jockey forever is reassuring thought.
I always say you only have two choices on leaving your business:
a) How and ...
b) When

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS The number one problem I see is carpet cleaners (including owner-operators) waiting too long to start the PROCESS of preparing their business for an eventual sale. Then they get desperate and "desperation" is never a good stance to negotiate from.

Back
Top Bottom