Oh, he doesn’t bite

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Unless you’re a strange carpet cleaner that looks like a burglar. Dang dog lunges out the door as soon as the customer opened it and grabbed ahold of my wanding elbow. Felt like a bear trap closed on my arm. Now I have puncture wounds all the way down to the bone and muscle. Dr. said there was some muscle damage but it would probably heal. The Customer picked up the tab for the ugent care though and they were nice folks. I felt bad for almost passing out on their couch from the pain. Next time I will call and make sure Fido is locked up before I get out of my van. Tomorrow the left hand gets to wand.

B754627F-172A-47E8-BBBB-D3EA6D8DD021.jpeg

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything like that, but here's my take on this.

For several decades, I've always carried a box of dog biscuits in my van.

Whenever I go to a new client, I take a biscuit out & break it in two.

One piece goes in my pocket, the other I keep in my left hand.

Most of our houses here have security screen doors, when the dog starts barking at the door, I put my hand down with the biscuit in, & most times he'll stop barking to smell, then wants the biscuit.

If he doesn't stop, I tell the owner that I will not come in until the dog is tied up outside.

The owner then opens up & we shake hands, & I ask if I can give the dog a treat, which most times is okay

When I enter, I let the dog smell my hand again, then open it so he can have the biscuit.

Generally, they can still smell the other biscuit & start smelling my pants near my pocket, I then give them the other half.

No more problems after that.

Just took the box out of my van ( in the rain ), to photograph for you.

:yoda: :very_drunk:

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything like that, but here's my take on this.

For several decades, I've always carried a box of dog biscuits in my van.

Whenever I go to a new client, I take a biscuit out & break it in two.

One piece goes in my pocket, the other I keep in my left hand.

Most of our houses here have security screen doors, when the dog starts barking at the door, I put my hand down with the biscuit in, & most times he'll stop barking to smell, then wants the biscuit.

If he doesn't stop, I tell the owner that I will not come in until the dog is tied up outside.

The owner then opens up & we shake hands, & I ask if I can give the dog a treat, which most times is okay

When I enter, I let the dog smell my hand again, then open it so he can have the biscuit.

Generally, they can still smell the other biscuit & start smelling my pants near my pocket, I then give them the other half.

No more problems after that.

Just took the box out of my van ( in the rain ), to photograph for you.

View attachment 91420

:yoda: :very_drunk:
Great idea, but I'm not so sure the dog would have slowed down enough in this case to get a biscuit. Didn't even hesitate. I think he had mental issues.

Reactions: Connor

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
they will all bite if something/someone triggers that basic instinct

My GSP loves people and isn't a breed known for agression but I've seen him turn and show his animal self when he feels there is a threat

Reactions: FredC

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Great idea, but I'm not so sure the dog would have slowed down enough in this case to get a biscuit. Didn't even hesitate. I think he had mental issues.

Sounds like the "nice" owner does also, to let a dog like that take to you.

Yep, sorry for the bite, hope it's not too serious or becomes infected, & you're back to working normal very soon.

We have a dog exactly the same in a house opposite us.

Several large prominent yellow signs warning of savage dog on the property.

He's securely locked away in the back yard, but.............................................. 🤔 😱

No way do I even go through the front gate, & he's a big bugger.

:yoda::very_drunk:

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
they will all bite if something/someone triggers that basic instinct

My GSP loves people and isn't a breed known for agression but I've seen him turn and show his animal self when he feels there is a threat
That's the truth. I have a lab-pit bull mix who absolutely loves all people including strangers but I reached under the bed one day to take away something he was chewing up and he bit me pretty hard. If you threaten their pack or their stuff that instinct does kick in. This dog was protecting his owner and saw me as a threat and snapped evidentally.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Bad Owner/Handler.
Dog is untrained or trained to bite but not to OUT or Leave it...so untrained.
I would not want that Idiot as a customer.
Sorry for the dog because eventually he bites someone and is put down. Hopefully he doesn't bite a kid.

FredC

Village Idiot
I always answered "all dogs bite" when people asked about mine. I also put them up when people were over or working. I can see where someone might feel more comfortable not doing so.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I've been bitten 3 times all straight bite and release thankfully, I'm not a stranger to dogs and have owned mostly hunting dogs but its the speed they can move which is unnerving when they decide its on

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Wow, hope you heal fast. That sucks. The dog owners are probably praying you don't report the incident to animal control.

I got attacked by a dog once when I was a cop. I was at a house doing a welfare check. I went in the back yard and a big black dog came running at me. It locked onto my gun belt, right above my wiener, and started shaking me around. I was going for my gun and my pepper spray at the same time to get the damn thing off me. Just as I broke leather, the dog let go and I jumped over the fence. Maybe the dog knew is was about to die. I'm just happy I didn't have to shoot it. I already had enough paperwork to fill out documenting the damage to my John Brown.

I'll admit it. It scared the poop out of me.

Anyway, that's my only dog story. I'm an animal lover, but i'm cautious of aggressive animals.

Reactions: Jim Williams

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Jim, report it to the police. That owner either knew the dog has bitten people, or knew it had threatened people. Failure to control it makes the owner liable.

Now let’s say it has NEVER displayed aggression towards people, your report puts that dog on record as a potential threat. The next victim will need that.

You probably will feel bad reporting it, or may think you will lose a customer. Lose them! Do your duty.
I love dogs, but try to always caution customers that to their dogs, I will be a stranger doing strange things in their home. I ask them to make sure their dogs are confined where they cannot get loose, or even escape while I work.

Sucks that you got such a bite Jim and I do hope you are fine soon. Good luck!

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
yeah I don't understand people who keep aggressive dogs, one of my rescue hunting dogs years ago bailed my neighbour up on our picnic table in our backyard. It was his territory and he didn't bite but it was the unprovoked nature and refusal to back off that made it his last day

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's not enough that they pay for your urgent care. Bad dog owners need to learn to be more responsible. I would be talking to a lawyer.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Jim, report it to the police. That owner either knew the dog has bitten people, or knew it had threatened people. Failure to control it makes the owner liable.

Now let’s say it has NEVER displayed aggression towards people, your report puts that dog on record as a potential threat. The next victim will need that.

You probably will feel bad reporting it, or may think you will lose a customer. Lose them! Do your duty.
I love dogs, but try to always caution customers that to their dogs, I will be a stranger doing strange things in their home. I ask them to make sure their dogs are confined where they cannot get loose, or even escape while I work.

The urgent care was required to report it to animal control so they called me last night and they checked the rabies vaccine records.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Wow, hope you heal fast. That sucks. The dog owners are probably praying you don't report the incident to animal control.

I got attacked by a dog once when I was a cop. I was at a house doing a welfare check. I went in the back yard and a big black dog came running at me. It locked onto my gun belt, right above my wiener, and started shaking me around. I was going for my gun and my pepper spray at the same time to get the damn thing off me. Just as I broke leather, the dog let go and I jumped over the fence. Maybe the dog knew is was about to die. I'm just happy I didn't have to shoot it. I already had enough paperwork to fill out documenting the damage to my John Brown.

I'll admit it. It scared the poop out of me.

Anyway, that's my only dog story. I'm an animal lover, but i'm cautious of aggressive animals.
Liar.

I can't see you being able to jump over a fence

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
An ankle biter came up behind me when I was walking away and bit me in the calf, breaking the skin. I went to turn around and punt kick that little fker and it ran away. I NEEDED the satisfaction of punt kicking it like a football in front of my customer. I was begging for my customer to see it.

Reactions: Jim Williams

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
People just assume everyone likes dogs. They let them jump on people at the door. I don't like them at all. And I learned my lesson years ago about offering my hand to one to pet. No matter how friendly you are they will take a bite out of you. "Oh he didn't mean it!........bad doggy!"

#### THAT! GET THAT DAMN DOG IN ANOTHER ROOM AND CLOSE THE DOOR!

Can't tell you how many times I've kicked a pooch when it wouldn't leave me alone. Think I'll be carrying some pepper spray now : )

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

Tell us a story of when you were doing a life vest/fire extinguisher inspection of a fishing boat. As you were getting off your little Zodiak and onto the FV you slipped and fell into the ocean where you were attacked by a Shark.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I had an ankle biter get me over 2 decades ago as I was walking back to the van. I survived with a few little bite marks, no down time.

Then a decade ago another customer's dog, which was a rescue, lunged at me because I was holding a forms holder, and it must have thought I was going to do something bad to him with it. The back of my hand was bleeding a lot, so I wrapped pad tape around it and finished the rest of the day (3 more jobs). It healed fine a a couple of weeks.

I do carry a first aid kit but it did not have any gauze or tape in it.

Pet incidents are bound to happen to us as we encounter pets every week while we are cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom