OK Stone guys, what is up here?

Mikey P

Administrator
photobucket-1171-1341899939491.jpg

5 year old shower stall, no steam chamber, no acidic products used and only up high like that.

As you can see Cobb's enhancer hides it well but I get the feeling that after a few more hot showers the white will be back..

photobucket-1923-1341899952307.jpg

I doubt there is a fix not involving a pry bar but what kind of scientific explanation can I give the next time?

FredC

Village Idiot
probably a stupid answer..............

chalking from the ceiling....maybe from a repair....or the install

I have no f.n clue...not a stone guy J/K

FredC

Village Idiot
no...fool

chalk...dust...

either working its way down with condensation....or possibly trapped in from the original finish work

like I said...probably a stupid answer.....but not as stupid as caulking....or 'mam...looks like your stone got too dry in the shower

and I wish I could go to bed...too much work to do

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
from the looks of it.....it appears to be something with the uhhh whats the word????

GRAIN thats it...

Grain of the stone....

hot showers yet not a steam "chamber"

did you try an area with a little acid??

it may be attacking it, like it does a painted wall.....up high gets no "beating" from the water or possibly from cleaning...so its just left to sit..

because its doing it in a different pattern then the veins....

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Hardwater and soap scum. I always price stupidly high for stone showers. Stupid idea. Polished stone showers. All the shit you would normally use to clean hard water and soap scum etches the stone. So it's a polish every time and a huge pain in the ass.

Mikey P

Administrator
if it were hard water/soap scum it would be in the water's path not the top three rows on just two walls.

again, there is nothing that can be felt by hand or razor blade.

Magic Al

There are any number of reasons for this challenge.
1- even though you can't "feel" anything, it may very well be mineral deposits. It may not be a steam shower, but the splash and small amount of spray that gets up there is probably not cleaned off and therefore accumulates.
2- degradation of the stone. It doesn't look like it, but because of the nature of stone in a shower, it might be.
3- an acid cleaner may have been used by the maid or someone else, not neutralized and simply left there to re-activate every time water hits it.

The cure? More likely than not, a wet hone starting at 220, 400, 800 and then 1,500. You could go higher, but that shouldn't be needed (we've gone the limit on black to 8,500). Finally, a good penetrating sealer like Crystal Magic Penetrating Sealer or Crystal Magic Color Enhancing Sealer.

Charge 'em up. We charge, depending on size and amount of walls and damage, $1,800 and up. It takes a long time to do, as the tech has his shoulders aching from holding the grinder flat. Remember to use something to prop up the tech (you?) so that you are holding the Makita no higher than should height, if possible. And, plenty of water. If you haven't got a pump system, build one so that you are constantly getting water thru as a lubricating agent.

Magic Al

There are any number of reasons for this challenge.
1- even though you can't "feel" anything, it may very well be mineral deposits. It may not be a steam shower, but the splash and small amount of spray that gets up there is probably not cleaned off and therefore accumulates.
2- degradation of the stone. It doesn't look like it, but because of the nature of stone in a shower, it might be.
3- an acid cleaner may have been used by the maid or someone else, not neutralized and simply left there to re-activate every time water hits it.

The cure? More likely than not, a wet hone starting at 220, 400, 800 and then 1,500. You could go higher, but that shouldn't be needed (we've gone the limit on black to 8,500). Finally, a good penetrating sealer like Crystal Magic Penetrating Sealer or Crystal Magic Color Enhancing Sealer.

Charge 'em up. We charge, depending on size and amount of walls and damage, $1,800 and up. It takes a long time to do, as the tech has his shoulders aching from holding the grinder flat. Remember to use something to prop up the tech (you?) so that you are holding the Makita no higher than should height, if possible. And, plenty of water. If you haven't got a pump system, build one so that you are constantly getting water thru as a lubricating agent.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Mikey P said:
if it were hard water/soap scum it would be in the water's path not the top three rows on just two walls.

again, there is nothing that can be felt by hand or razor blade.

Not necessarily. many people will wipe where they see the water but forget that steam and other shit is above.

C

clean image

repeated hot showers will produce steam vapor at top of shower.

this vapour cloud will penatrate farther in to stone

this will condensate when cools

the "sprayed" on lower section will often be "protected" or surface filled up by a soap scum and residues.

what is the finish level?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
high gloss.

I get what you are saying and agree that the steam is causing the more porous veining to loose color..

JugHeaD..

It could be installation related..?

Some builders will NOT use proper "backboard"...NO greenboard or concrete board... :idea:

This can cause MOISTURE to be trapped behind the tile..."EFFERVESCENCE" can occur through
the thinset into the BACK of the tile... :?:

The heat becomes a magnet...as the moisture tries to escape to the driest area...seperating the LIME form the thinset mixture...

"IS IT A REMODLE"... :?:

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
whatta mess...rojo alicante....i'd walk or scrape with razors, scrub with a makita and hogs hair with MB-3 then do what Al said with the diamonds and MPC...get ready for some some sore shoulders and back

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom