On the disucssion of "Van powerd Electric Hyrbid TM"

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I have had an idea to do this for years, and Mytee has beat me too it with there Aura system.
Although Im ignorant to the aura system, it seems like EXTREME over-kill and VERY Pricey! (Giant DC alternator, Giant Inverter, etc) (Im assuming its cost is in the $10,000 ballpark??)

It seems ALL you would need is an 11kw AC Belt Driven Generator Head, (With a clutch) mounted just like the Aura system, and run the cables to the cargo area.

Here is an example of a HIGH quality 11kw generator head on ebay for under 500 bucks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-KW-ST-Ge...82394350?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item4cfe34e6ee

I admit I am ignorant on this subjet, but there are 100's of people running these generator heads with old car motors they mounted on a trailer, and run most of there home during blackouts (Even computers)

...Am I missing something?

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
That would def. work but you would have to shoehorn that into an engine compartment and the engine would have to run at a predetermined speed to keep a consistent 60Hz. The advantage to the inverter system is that the generator head is smaller because it runs at a much higher voltage, thus lower current, and then the inverter converts it to the appropriate voltage. Plus the engine can run at an rpm based on the load and the inverter would still ensure a consistent 60 Hz regardless of engine speed.

Thats why the small inverter type generators are more effecient when driving small loads.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I like the idea of the technology but I think the real market will be when the industry jumps over to diesel electric or gas eletric hybrid for vans/ cab over trucks. Everything will be poised for a great electric truckmount. You'll have a generator on board capable of running large and efficient eletric motors and thus an actual postive displacement blower and pressure pump.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
AshleyMckendree said:
...Am I missing something?

yep

here's the thing, Ash, the minute you HAVE to power it with a GAS engine, lectromounts lose 97.63% of their luster .
The only virtue left is noise reduction .

Think about it.. Wouldn't it be more efficient to use that gas engine to drive the pump and blower?
The way I'm seeing it, the only real difference is the vac system .
Everything else is pretty much common to every other TM or porty... heat the water some how and squirt it .
I'm not convinced how they can be such lower maintenance costs

How long do electric vac motors last??
YO WILLY, you're about the only porty guy I trust that uses these enough to "know"
How many hours is the effective service life of a vac motor??
and side note, how much to replace one?

The service life of a blower with regular maintenance (which ain't much) should exceed 10,000 hours .
It's the MOST durable component on a TM..keep oil in the gear box and grease the bearings once in awhile and they'll take LOTS of abuse....

I'm sure there is a future for lectrounts , but their future won't shine bright til they can produce mid size gas TM performance and NOT require a GAS engine to drive 8-11kw generators..
cause it's simply NOT a better mousetrap

..l.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I agree

It ain't lectric when it 's driven by a GAS ENGINE generator.

dgargan

I tried the electric route years ago . Didn't like then3 courts to the house and the generator situation was a nightmare. Make a powerfull 2 or 1 cord system or don't make one at all.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
David Gargan said:
I tried the electric route years ago . Didn't like then3 courts to the house and the generator situation was a nightmare. Make a powerfull 2 or 1 cord system or don't make one at all.
I totally agree with David! hey Marty, blow me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom