Ordered another Spartan Supreme truck for WDR

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I find that it's simpler to just drop a few pieces rather than entire pieces for that one job for when shit hits the ceiling. So we will just drop say a few fans, than run to the next one, getting as many as possible, while the guys behind us will come in to extract, pull pad, set, bring more equip, etc. We just tell the clients our larger truck is coming with more equipment, etc etc. I am actually thinking of not carrying any larger pieces on the main truck (lgr's etc), and put all small air movers like the dripods, one per room or 10x10, than when the next van/route comes by they'll replace w/ the proper equipment for the job etc. This way the client "sees" equipment already installed after they gave you a check for deposit.

This is sort of the direction I am leaning. I'm spending way too much time slugging around in a weighted down box van. My service area is pretty big too, so that becomes a pain when we are often driving 45 minutes to get to the job.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have to use what works best for your market.

I'd like to change what we've been doing and train one of my brothers to do some water damage estimating. He currently only does carpet cleaning estimates. Our conversion rate is usually pretty good when we receive a request of an estimate however when its storm time and we get a bunch of calls for estimates our rates drop down to 2 out of 10. That's a lot of wasted time for a supervisor, he could be here selling them over the phone or checking on crews. I plan to train my younger brother and let him do those estimates and save the supervisors time for more valuable things.

We could do as you guys are saying, a Flood King in a Transit with a few pieces of equipment could buy some time until the real extraction crew arrives. The Memorial day storm we only lost a couple because we could get there quickly enough for them. Of those, they still had water coming in but they must not have wanted to wait. When we called them after a few hours they had already called someone else. Can't get them all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
DIfferent cabover, I wasn't meaning the cabover overhang, as you have in the picture, but a truck like a HINO, or ISUZU cab over truck.

I like the cabover's better but the I can get the air deflector and I really like the look of those. Our Butler in a box is a cabover but as you can see with the unit in the way, we only put items that are seldom used up there. For a moving truck it would be ideal though.

Butler9_zps80103fdc.jpg

IMG_20110824_150927_zpsb7da9011.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes Ron I've come full circle on the cabovers, (4) of the nine box trucks are cabovers and while the steering when parking is nice the rock shaking while driving is less than desirable. Too bumpy, its a rough ride and one I'm long tired of. Not enough to trade the trucks but enough not to buy anymore of them.

Reactions: Ron Werner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you're used to towing then a trailer makes a lot of sense, do as Bill is doing. Bill is a sharp guy, he keeps figuring ways to workout his obstacles.

I don't like the thought of just anyone towing a trailer in our company so we go with trucks, plus I have more trucks that I need.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I am still leaning towards a Transit. It might be awhile until I pull the trigger.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They did a 20K mold job out of one last week and only need a Standard van one day, the rest of the time 5-guys in a Transit. (that may have looked like a Mexican clown car when they unloaded out of it) They also did an encap job with 3 guys and and three machines in a transit.

So far I'm really happy with them, if we keep busy I may trade one of the standard vans the fire crew uses for another Transit this winter. :icon_cool:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Is the gas mileage that is advertised realistic? What mileage are you seeing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom