Other cleaners using my videos. Opinions?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Hi You seem like a cleaner who takes pride in his work by the detailed videos I have seen. Very nicely done. I thought you might like to know of a Cleaner in the Spokane WA area using your video on his website but does not clean at all even close to those standards. check out his site and the link to reviews of his company. REVIEWS: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=c ... CF4Q4gkwAQ
Not a very good representation of your hard work.
Happy Cleaning

Got this message from another cleaner. I've seen my videos popping up, or have been told about someone else using them.
Curious as to your input, good or bad having other cleaners embed this on their sites?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Chavez is right.

But, unless you decide to go national....or international....you should be flattered and not bothered by it.

At the very least, if he's posting that video, maybe some customers or just people in general are getting a better idea how to vacuum.

I wouldn't let it get to me.

Yuu da man

Bjorn

could it be that ron is more miffed by the guy cleaning 3 rooms for 99 dollars

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Reloading the video wastes the SEO juice already earned on youtube.

There are companies who sell generic videos for our industry for hundreds of dollars. Maybe offer them a monthly usage fee. It does give your youtube account more hits.

OR, I would create and send them lawyer looking cease and desist orders. Scare them into taking it down. At the end of the day, they are stealing your hard work.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm not miffed by it really. I figure that if more people see it, more people are going to see how its supposed to done. If that cleaner doesn't live up to the video, his custys will call him on it, so he's either got to buck up or he'll lose in the long run.
One of the first I saw using it was a guy in Australia. None of them will affect my busn.

If I asked for a fee, think it would be more of a hassle to collect?

Becker

Name
Becker
Lol. I know of alpha.

Had no knowledge of the video being used in Spokane or elsewhere.

I don't live and breath carpet cleaning.

Surprised a company would post another cleaners video.
Maybe alpha has no clue. Maybe some hired guy Put the site together.

Not all carpet cleaners are computer savvy and know even less of web design

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd recommend contacting the site designer. They have more to lose if they get a reputation for stealing.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Looks like Becker contacted you..

That is without a doubt Becker. Gotta stick his Abner Kravitz nose into everyone business.

If I make a video and your far enough away from me, feel free to use it just send me an email.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
When owners of videos publish them on YouTube, they are given the option to enable or disable the EMBED code for their videos. The embed code is the HTML code that is displayed at the side of a video, allowing others to insert the video into their sites or blog.

In theory, if the owner enables the EMBED code for others to use, it means that they want others to embed the video. For example, thesitewizard.com's feedback form video tutorial and CSS menu video tutorial have the EMBED code displayed on their corresponding YouTube video pages, and as such, they may be freely embedded in any site.

...................... since if they really did not want others to embed the video, they should have disabled the EMBED code. It seems to me that if you enable the EMBED code, it means you are implicitly inviting others to put the video on their site.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron, email the guy and ask to put a link on his website to yours for the use of your video.

Like said, he is far enough away where it wouldn't matter. Just don't put a link on your site to his when he asks.

Every little bit helps.

Write up a small paragraph about vacuuming and use your keywords for your site....Carpet Cleaning Your Area...and have him link the keyword as anchor text to your site. He can post the paragraph right under the video. The anchor text link within the paragraph is a good thing to have.

Maybe mention his companies name in the paragraph?

Can't hurt.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not miffed by it really.

I'm irritated by it and it's not even my video. If I could calmly call them (I couldn't without cussing them out for stealing it) I would, if you cannot or prefer not, I would send them a cease and desist letter.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Tony,

Your copy is protected as soon as you publish it. You don't have to do anything. Your own materials on your website aren't free for anyone to steal, nor are videos posted on Youtube. People are getting sued on a fairly regular basis for stealing from the internet and I have to laugh when they whine about getting caught.

At some public sharing sites you might be agreeing to make your work royalty free. Read the little print.

Ron,
Do a search for how to add a watermark.

Becker

Name
Becker
The Great Oz said:
Tony,

Your copy is protected as soon as you publish it. You don't have to do anything. Your own materials on your website aren't free for anyone to steal, nor are videos posted on Youtube. People are getting sued on a fairly regular basis for stealing from the internet and I have to laugh when they whine about getting caught.

At some public sharing sites you might be agreeing to make your work royalty free. Read the little print.

Ron,
Do a search for how to add a watermark.

I agree with Brian. Many people do not understand copyright law.

Defend your work now. Otherwise you have no leg in the future.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
They are talking about fair use of public videos chosen to go public by the owner. If they choose to allow embedding to others it means that give permission for viewing, since they can have it anywhere else portected and even protected on youtube from embedding it is assumed to be for the public.

I can post a Mariah Carey video it isn't mine but if I posted and allowed embedding it means I have given permission to the general public to use. All you have to do is go to the posting and stop embedding and it will not be on his site. No need for a cease and desist etc etc it is under his control

Good thing becker is out there policing peoples sites. Thanks Beckerhead, even though no one likes a rat atleast your our rat

Becker

Name
Becker
Greg you do not know what you are talking about so you should shut up!

Just because you can embed it does not mean you have the right to.

Many videos you can embed, but when you are using it for profit, promotion, or commercial purposes things change a bit more.

Just like I can DVR the Superbowl game, re-watch it. But sell it, charge people to see it etc.. Hell legally businesses can't call sales or events "Superbowl" events.

Kinda like say, well if the guy did not want me in his house he should have locked the door.

So Greg Crowley, 3 people now have told me you were selected for Survivor and will be on location this summer.
1st person told me not to say anything, said you wanted to keep it a secret. couple weeks later 2 others told me. so must no longer be a secret.

Rumor, or fact?

Start your training? LOL. Fitness won't win you the game.

Anyways.. Fact is, Ron should have set it up so it could not be embedded by others. Go in and tweak the settings.
But Fact is, copyright law still protects the clueless.

Becker

Name
Becker
Good thing becker is out there policing peoples sites. Thanks Beckerhead, even though no one likes a rat atleast your our rat

Policing what?

Your the Google police. You even came here whining about Google places and what you did about it.
You shop other cleaners 100s of miles away from you.
You claimed to find the need to order up my divorce and parenting plan, then sent me an email threatening me to release them to the board.

Whatever makes you feel good Greg!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Ignorance to the law is no defense or right to action

Sorry Becker you know more about youtube and rights to the owners property than the appelate court and Youtube TOS. The reason you can not replay the superbowl from youtube is because youtube does not hold a license and if you weren't so stoned or drunk at the end of the superbowl they clearly tell you that you can not even record it.

So given that anyone who posts anything on youtube has the option of making sure others can not use it, it is considered fair use. All ron has to do is control his media if he feels it is needed

You are a moron, I can tell how far your edumication went

PS I will be with the personal trainer 5:15 am

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If I do not allow the embedding, that means even I can't embed my own video on my own website.
if I watermark it now, it starts over from scratch. I wonder if they have an embedding upon permission from owner?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you have the option of coding your own videos to your website you have other options. You can not blame others for your ignorance on how. If you watermark it or give an addendum at the end that states not intended for reproduction on other websites and the best thing would be an insignia of whose property it is with a disclaimer somewhere even in the top of the posting comments making it known that you do not allow this. Your thread clearly shows you are unsure whether you allow it of not

You can tell youtube that someone is infringing on your copyright and they will sau pull it or don't allow embedding. I am not sure how your ignorance how to put a video on your website is anyone elses problem

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
to clear up speculation on your rat status you will say 100% that you were not the guy who Ratted the guy out becker?

For the stupid. If I held a free nonbinding carpet cleaning demonstration that i volunteered for IE I left it for embedding, such as the video or picture that becker uses of me that are all copyrighted material where is my argument. It clearly says in the video of the picture becker uses that you can not use that or reproduce that but he does. So I guess when he rats out others it serves his purpose of ratting out other cleaners in his area but if he wants to try attack someone it is olay. See that is why I am where I am and he is where he is, dude has no moral compass. He can act like he does because he is use to begging for a living

Becker

Name
Becker
Like I said Bundy, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ron, Did I contact you about your YouTube?
Waffles seems to think he knows all....

Waffles,
Ignorance to the law is no defense or right to action
Same applies to copyright law.

Sorry Becker you know more about youtube and rights to the owners property than the appelate court and Youtube TOS. The reason you can not replay the superbowl from youtube is because youtube does not hold a license and if you weren't so stoned or drunk at the end of the superbowl they clearly tell you that you can not even record it.
I know a little more than you...
The Superbowl does not need to have the disclaimer, but they do. Just like every TV show on TV does not use disclaimers at the end of the shows. Somethings just don't need to be said. As for a license to air, or use. One posting works of another on their site without in most cases written permission or agreement of use they to also do not have a license.

So given that anyone who posts anything on youtube has the option of making sure others can not use it, it is considered fair use. All ron has to do is control his media if he feels it is needed

You are a moron, I can tell how far your edumication went

Greg! You are not very bright... I can take all the pictures of famous owned landmarks all across the country.. But many of these places are protected from certain types of use. I've never seen a sign posted at Qwest field.. But the landmark is protected. Just because I can get it (a photo ), or it is left uncovered does not mean it is open for use.
Yes, a poster does have the option to select embed or not. Just as a person has the option to leave their keys in their car. The guy is still stealing the car regardless of how easy it was..

Most don't understand copyright law, how things become protected by copyright law.

But what it boils down to Ron is.
Do you want to defend your copyright?

In most cases, a letter ( email ) asking him to remove the protected video, perhaps quote the law will do. As I said above, the owner of the website more than likely hired a person or company to built their site and has no idea where the video came from.

Now, if you choose not to defend your copyright, you might lose an copyright you might have.
More and more cleaners might embed it.

Now, if the owner of Alpha or anyone using your video does not agree to remove it.
Well you can sue them.
No, copyright cops to come to your rescue.

And more than likely no one will sue anyone.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
He really should of had better branding in his video anyways. Buy some stickers and put them on your equipment. Second by others embedding your video it increases the views and helps your seo if it is written up properly. To me, let them do it, but I promise you my videos will have lots of my branding in it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Its all well and good for Greg and others to say I'm ignorant and that I should have done this or done that, but I had no idea that people would copy this, With all the negative comments about it, why would someone want it on their site? I do have my name at the end of it, the name is in the title. To lambaste me over all this seems very ignorant as well. I'm aware of the SEO advantages, that was one reason I wanted the vids on youtube.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom