Owner/Operator Goal - Work Less - Make More!

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
I read about a lot of people on this board who want to work more, take on another truck, take on the best tools, be booked up 3 weeks ahead, use the best chemicals, and more...As an owner/operator (51), all I really want to do is screen/weed all incoming phone calls of people whom are willing to pay me what I want...My average job is 1.5 hours setup to breakdown...Less than 1 hour travel time on average to any job...Less than 5 jobs per week...Easy 6 Figure income...Last year I worked 214 Jobs...In 15 years, thats average for me...No Headaches, currently free and clear - no overhead...(except for the new 10" CRB I purchased here with interest free $$) I think most people here need to ask for more $$$ rather than multiply there income rather than take on pion work for cheap prices...I met a guy here in Las Vegas, NV who is booked out for the next 3 weeks and his average job is $60...He bragged about it...OK, everyone needs a start somewhere, but if you like being in charge of your own destiny work less, earn more as a owner/operator...Less headaches for sure!

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
You make it sound so easy! Hahaha!
But seriously, that is why I am raising my prices and working on a plan to try to go for the Mercedes clients. If I could do one or two good jobs a day I would be golden. I have a goal of getting a whole new rig and relegating this one to a back up. and see where that takes me. I really want to find that perfect part time, possibly full time tech though.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
The way things are shaping up the only customers that are going to be able to afford our services are the Mercedes' owners.

Most of my clients are affluent and have no problem paying what I ask for. OTOH, I have done a number of final cleanings for some of those formally affluent client that must have gotten lazy or something because they're needing to downsize. Guess they became liberal bloodsuckers, eh..

Last edited:
Reactions: todg

Chris A

Name
Chris
Because I couldn't pay my mortgage on 214 jobs (and I don't live in an expensive house). No offense man but that's not a business that's a hobby

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I won't comment on the income, everyone has their own idea of what they want out of this.

Instead at your age I would grow simply for idea of adding value to the company. By making the company worth more it should sell for more when you decide to throw in the towel.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
I won't comment on the income, everyone has their own idea of what they want out of this.

Instead at your age I would grow simply for idea of adding value to the company. By making the company worth more it should sell for more when you decide to throw in the towel.
That's logical!

There often appears to be a race against the clock for many business owners. That's understandable I suppose given that nobody wants to be left to suffer or have their loved ones have to care for them later on.

But there seems to also be an innate drive that causes people (mostly men, I think) to just lower their heads and keep rowing as the saying goes. I prefer to view it like grazing cows, or in light of a recent thread, Deer. Cows/Deer don't look up and view how much there is to graze they just eat until there's no more left and then they move on to new pasture. Like other species, humans are just never quite sure that we have enough. And to pacify what we don't seem to understand, or perhaps can't come to admit, we create myths.

We are hunters and gatherers after all, and what we hunt and gather is money.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We each reach a comfort zone where you'd have to be a pig (no offense Porkchop) to want more.

It takes life changing experiences to motivate you beyond your comfort zone.

Younger more motivated guys have not reached their comfort zone. Although it's not so much an age thing, as it is motivation.

If you are already comfortable then its harder to understand others that are not. They simply have higher aspirations before settling into their comfort zone.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
To each is to own.....but I wouldn't change being able to come in when I want, do what I want, take vacations and not lose a penny(just spent a week in steamboat springs CO), for a few headaches and stress due to employees and paperwork.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Working towards semi retirement in our future...

In Florida for month of January while it is - 23 degrees below zero today back home...

Trying to make the business do more of the work for us... Make sure our family is well taken care of...

Not an easy thing... But we all have to have some goals.

I am 54 and wife is 53.

Wife quit working over 3 years ago to stay home and take care of the grandkids...

Life has its challenges, but still overall good.

We will keep working to make it better for future generations though :)

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You always need to decide who customers are. Although I do all kinds of work, I tend to specialize in cleaning hallways in large strata condomium bldg's. I often average 300.00 per hour and my only extra expense is a helper for 20.00 per hour. For example, I have 1 bldg that I clean for 1600.00 before tax. I start at 8:30am and finish at 1:00pm. It sure beats driving all over the place doing multiple jobs. I solicit these jobs from various property mgnt companies. You don't get if you don't ask

Mikey P

Administrator
I read about a lot of people on this board who want to work more, take on another truck, take on the best tools, be booked up 3 weeks ahead, use the best chemicals, and more...As an owner/operator (51), all I really want to do is screen/weed all incoming phone calls of people whom are willing to pay me what I want...My average job is 1.5 hours setup to breakdown...Less than 1 hour travel time on average to any job...Less than 5 jobs per week...Easy 6 Figure income...Last year I worked 214 Jobs...In 15 years, thats average for me...No Headaches, currently free and clear - no overhead...(except for the new 10" CRB I purchased here with interest free $$) I think most people here need to ask for more $$$ rather than multiply there income rather than take on pion work for cheap prices...I met a guy here in Las Vegas, NV who is booked out for the next 3 weeks and his average job is $60...He bragged about it...OK, everyone needs a start somewhere, but if you like being in charge of your own destiny work less, earn more as a owner/operator...Less headaches for sure!

6 Figures doing 5 jobs a week?

Impressive.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Not all Mercedes clients are willing to pay top dollar for a cleaning. I've done quite a few mini mansions and most have commented on how much it is costing them. "Well I've never paid this much before." Whenever I roll up to a house in the upper hundreds, I pretty much go in assuming I'm gonna get shooed away.

Or they'll be like, "I'll give you this much or how about will you do it for this?". I'm like,"how about we subtract an area or 2 to meet your budgeted amount?".

The ones we have the best luck with charging the higher rates are the older customers. 50 and older. They've been around the block and most have had enough experience to see the value in getting what you pay for.

Reactions: Mikey P

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Not all Mercedes clients are willing to pay top dollar for a cleaning. I've done quite a few mini mansions and most have commented on how much it is costing them. "Well I've never paid this much before." Whenever I roll up to a house in the upper hundreds, I pretty much go in assuming I'm gonna get shooed away.

Or they'll be like, "I'll give you this much or how about will you do it for this?". I'm like,"how about we subtract an area or 2 to meet your budgeted amount?".

The ones we have the best luck with charging the higher rates are the older customers. 50 and older. They've been around the block and most have had enough experience to see the value in getting what you pay for.

Actually, most my clients are "non-mercedes clients"...My market is directed typically to average people, not people with money, but people like moms and dads who both typically have jobs...The filthy rich typically want a $1000 job for $500, and then complain...Your as good as your last job..."Whenever I roll up to a house in the upper hundreds, I pretty much go in assuming I'm gonna get shooed away"... = Bad Attitude! Always show up confident and look people in the eyes! Don't be cocky! Just explain how you can make life easier, add a little small talk, bam, you'll get job! Be prepared to go to work 1st visit setup and ready! Good Luck!

Chris A

Name
Chris
So according to your math your average job is around $500 and takes an hour and a half. What are you getting done in that amount of time. For example, our Avg is around 200 and is usually around 5 areas, or 3 areas and a sofa, and usually takes a little more than an hour with 2 guys

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
So according to your math your average job is around $500 and takes an hour and a half. What are you getting done in that amount of time. For example, our Avg is around 200 and is usually around 5 areas, or 3 areas and a sofa, and usually takes a little more than an hour with 2 guys

I'm all tile and grout cleaning + sealing, not carpet cleaning (or very little)...But my average job is 1000sf...I start in the deepest part of the house and work myself out from whatever door I enter (usually front door). I usually work in open areas and on the first floor...Second floors for any service are more difficult because of hoses and more...I avoid going upstairs if possible. I find extra money in shower stalls and counter tops...$200 a job for me, too low...My minimum is $385 for anything less than 400sf...I don't get every job for sure, but the more desperate I am for work, the less I'm willing to work for! The key is, keep your phone ringing...Be very confident on your first call! ***Don't be stuck on one price...Everything is negotiable within reason...Always start high, then work towards the price your willing to work for...It's worked for me! Good Luck!

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
"Whenever I roll up to a house in the upper hundreds, I pretty much go in assuming I'm gonna get shooed away"... = Bad Attitude!

Yeah .. youre right !!

Maybe instead of assuming the shoo-ing ... it is more like .. wondering if I gotta fight to sell myself - is what Im really thinking. I hate the feeling of having to sell my self again after my wife selling our company over the phone. Im not good at selling and I do better at proving. I have a hard time describing how good I think I am. Most of the wealthy I run into wonder why I cost so much before I can prove why. Once I prove why, - its smooth sailing and become super confident. As nice as it is collecting a high ticket on one stop, I still prefer the middle class value seeker. Ones who know the value of what theyre getting before I get there.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I don't charge high prices because I don't want to be the only one who can do the job. I want to build a company that can stand on its own. If I paid higher market prices to my plumber for example then he himself (the expert) better be doing the work. It really depends greatly on your market. I'm in a larger market thats not too large and both could be done very well. I choose to go the route of hiring employees to do the labor and trying to provide them with the best education and development. It will take longer to assume wealth, but once in place, it can last long past your cleaning days.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah same here, I've been a player way too long in ready to coach!

Chris A

Name
Chris
10% of our business is t/g probably 100 jobs a year we could do now I suppose but Avg tile job is more like 300 square feet so it's more of a good add on then anything else

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom