Owner Operators & 5 Arounds

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
For the owner operators working solo (no techs), how do you get yourself to do 5 arounds after a job (say 2-3 levels w/ stairs) and you're drenched in sweat, smell like carbon monoxide, hands are burned, got to reel up all the hoses and put equipment away, and your back/body is just about asking for a break.

I would seriously like to know, since pushing a wand even a Ti w/ a glide, I'm still very tired after the job and just can't get myself to go knock on doors and do the 5 arounds w/ the neighbors. I really want to do it, but it is tough.

I keep myself in shape, and go to the gym, but at the gym I'm not as tired as I am w/ pushing the wand. Maybe that's the problem? Is moving to a rotary extractor the way to go?

I've gone to SFS, there are a lot of great ideas on there, but I find it can be difficult for us doing everything solo. I'm trying to do whatever I can.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thx

Last edited:

Becker

Name
Becker
For the owner operators working solo (no techs), how do you get yourself to do 5 arounds after a job (say 2-3 levels w/ stairs) and you're drenched in sweat, smell like carbon monoxide, hands are burned, got to reel up all the hoses and put equipment away, and your back/body is just about asking for a break.

wow, that all sounds like hell.

But the short answer is.. JUST DO IT, if it is part of your marketing plan.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
wow, that all sounds like hell.

But the short answer is.. JUST DO IT, if it is part of your marketing plan.

I've tried just doing it, but half the time I'm running out of breath just to pick up the check. I'm 6'5, and I think the physical portion of the work w/ the wand/stair tools is catching up to me. It's mostly upper back not lower. I tried wearing a back/rib brace but it's very uncomfortable.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lots of separate and different issues Bill.

1) Upper back pain: Beside the damage and strain of repetitious movement, is also directly related to the kind of movements you do. Do you have tools made for your height? Did you work with a good Chiropractor that can help you in adjusting both your movements and posture?

2) What stage of your business are you in? Starting? Lots of clients?

3) Do you want to stay an O/O or would you like to have employees?

For example: If you have lots of clients, make good money and don't want to go the employees rout- Cut back. Your health and well being will trump money any day.

So, which way are you and your business headed?

Being in your situation, currently I am trying to find a good employee. I hardly do much marketing and I've cut back some hours. None too radically, as to not disrupt the business too much.
Still grew this year substantially compared to last year, due to Yelp and word of mouth.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
we did it when we first started out in the neighborhoods we wanted to work in.

on our days off.on the weekends when hopefully the home owners were out in the yard washing cars or mowing the lawn

my daughter and wife had better results than my ugly ass did.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I have found I can get more done in a day by slowing down. Are you overbooking yourself to the point of having to rush rush rush? I try to keep it at no more than 3 jobs a day worked at a slower pace. This prevents living in a constant state of anxiety as well as beating your body to death. If I do squeeze in a job to an already tight schedule I just work later. I found I can clean carpet 10-12 hours if I'm not beating my body down doing it.

Reactions: tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I have found I can get more done in a day by slowing down. Are you overbooking yourself to the point of having to rush rush rush? I try to keep it at no more than 3 jobs a day worked at a slower pace. This prevents living in a constant state of anxiety as well as beating your body to death. If I do squeeze in a job to an already tight schedule I just work later. I found I can clean carpet 10-12 hours if I'm not beating my body down doing it.

I think that's part of it as well. I need to space the jobs out more, been thinking about doing 2 hours ETA's instead of 1, since working alone seems like I am rushing from one job to the other and I'm lucky to get anything to eat in between. Usually do 3-4 jobs a day give or take.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Lots of separate and different issues Bill.

1) Upper back pain: Beside the damage and strain of repetitious movement, is also directly related to the kind of movements you do. Do you have tools made for your height? Did you work with a good Chiropractor that can help you in adjusting both your movements and posture?

Yes, my wand is over 6 feet high, weighs 8 lbs, it's the VT14 that Joe sells. The stair tool is light weight but it's short. I've done multiple visits to my chiropractor last year and this year, he basically told me as long as I keep doing what I do, the pain will always be there, some days better than others, just depends.

2) What stage of your business are you in? Starting? Lots of clients?

5 years now, Average 30-50 per month.

3) Do you want to stay an O/O or would you like to have employees?

I had a full timer last year, but he didn't stay w/ me for more than 6 months b4 i had to let him go.

My intentions are to find someone that can be doing the labor portion, and I run the co/marketing, I will also do the work, but not sure for however much long I want to push the wand.

For example: If you have lots of clients, make good money and don't want to go the employees rout- Cut back. Your health and well being will trump money any day.

So, which way are you and your business headed?

Being in your situation, currently I am trying to find a good employee. I hardly do much marketing and I've cut back some hours. None too radically, as to not disrupt the business too much.
Still grew this year substantially compared to last year, due to Yelp and word of mouth.

I have 17 "filtered" reviews on Yelp, and 1-2 that shows. Last year was decent, this year not so much. I don't count on Yelp for my growth in my area, I know it's different for guys on the west coast.

Answers up top

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get a powerhead to take some of the work off you. Yesterday wife was volunteering for the day,oldest daughter at work, twins had driving class all day so I decided to bring home a truck and clean the carpet. Even with a glide slinging a wand with my old fat ass is a chore.

So I brought home the equalizer. Lisa sent me glides for my old Powerglides. They didnt do too well on CGD but on restdential it kicked butt. I cleaned 2,000sq/ft of traffic areas, I cheated a bit since I didn't move furniture but I didn't even break a sweat until I came to the steps.

The machine did all the work, plus not only was it almost effortless but it looked much better in the impacted foot areas in door ways and in front of furniture.

I'd check out all the powerheads out there I'm sure you'll find one that will take some of the load ofc you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Yohance
I just keep a extra shirt in van and start hitting it f I'm solo. But I would say for the amount of money it cost to have a helper it will be well worth the money.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
If your averaging 3-4 jobs per day, what are the reasons you do not have at least a part-time helper?
Seems silly not to, if the work load kicking your ass that bad.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I do nothing at all. I do not promote this as a business plan but my phone number is unlisted, I have no business cards, I don't advertise and I have no google reviews... I am busy nonstop 2- 3 trucks march 15-jan 15... Look at what you do if you can not make money

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Bill just get the rotary extractor already lol

You wont be so worn out after for sure! Just make sure which ever rotary you get has handles that go high enough ;)

Production times will go up as well. Win win?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm going to see if I can rent one locally to try it out

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One of the things the guys hate is adding another cord to manage, if I cleaned regularly I'd band my vac hose solution hose and power cord for the first 15-20 ft. That should help keep it off of you some.

It's not as fast as a wand and that's what the young guys complain about BUT it is the equalizer, the hardest work is just getting it off your truck and into the home.

After that, the cleaning is a breeze and the results are phenomenal. Chit......did I say that? :p

:lol:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That guy with the comment above sure sounds like someone who never cleans!

I'd say: "Strictly management material." :razz:

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
phenomenal. Chit......did I say that?
tongue.png

lol.gif

I thought that word was trademarked! lol

Yep. Cole.

"Phenomenal package."

Can be used in our industry as well as a few other. Industrially or personally. One specifically may come to mind. :razz:

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Faster in the sense that your cleaning speed will be the same at 9 am and 5pm :p
If you worked all day I can guarantee most people will be cleaning slower near the end with a wand.

Usually I can out clean my wand speed(14") with my rx20 quite easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom