Oww....Radiator on The Chevy Express.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
On my list of "things to go wrong" next...it's my radiator on the Express. Only leaks when it's cold ....doesn't leak when under pressure.......can't see a thing until I pull the top radiator shroud. $250 new.....$100 at the "recycle yard", plus the core. I'm trying to baby this TM and van until I find the right replacement TM.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
What year express? Radiators on ebay are the same ones sold at your local parts stores. My radiator was only 140 delivered

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
My 2006 is in the shop right now getting a new rad. My 2003 was replaced last year. The dealer charged me 900. This one will run around $550 installed. No way would I spend my weekend doing it myself.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Don't buy the cheap ones, they go out in two years or less. After 2 cheap ones failed :oops: trying to save money I paid $600 and had a good one put in.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Took mine to a radiator repair shop charged $750 to install a new one and also found out my radiator clutch went out.They only list one radiator for my model.

So while you're at it change the rad clutch too.

2003 3500 chevy

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Jimmy L said:
Took mine to a radiator repair shop charged $750 to install a new one and also found out my radiator clutch went out.They only list one radiator for my model.

2003 3500 chevy

Thanks, Jimmy....I only intend to take it apart once. I'll be changing anything I need to, including the belt. The water pump was changed out, under warrantee, about 5 years ago.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
We've had to replace 2 radiators in our chevy expresses. 2008 and 2007
Maybe Chevrolet has a problem?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i have had a 99 and 01, 250k and 160k....no radiator problems......only a fuel pump....

though on my 01, when it snows, and it sits on my window, thaws out and drips off.....it drips right on the ALT.... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Then if it freezes, it locks it up....thought it was going out....figured that out, now i have a wrench to turn it and bust out the heat gun if needs be...no issues though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have two, an 03 & an 04, both 3500's. No problem with them at all except for brakes.
Jimmy L said:

2003 3500 chevy
I assume you meant fan clutch, never heard of a rad clutch. !gotcha!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i replaced my 07 savanah rad earlier this year..the old one weighted twice as much as the new one..crazy
and i had it flushed every 40k miles..dealer just shook his head and said...dexcool.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
A few years ago I also flushed out that dexcool and just use the yellow prestone stuff now.

Yeah it was the FAN clutch!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well, I had a few hours yesterday, and I finally changed out the Radiator in the 03 Chevy Express. Got one for $100, had it pressure tested, and got it changed in about 2 hours, with a little fiddle f&^%$ing around with other things. Only expense was more coolant, and an $8 nut (dealer part) with a clip for the tranny cooler lines. Got a pack of QD clips at the parts store, but they didn't lock in well ($10 for an "assorted" package....you can't buy just one).

These radiators are plastic/metal, and can't really be repaired.

I'm feeling good about me Chevy now.

Only other problem is "chest pain" from leaning over the front radiator support....uncomfortable. And as short as I am, I had to stand on a milk crate.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Jimmy L said:
A few years ago I also flushed out that dexcool and just use the yellow prestone stuff now.

Yeah it was the FAN clutch!

I had run so much Peak "green...use with any color" coolant through my van in the last month that it has had a complete change of fluid. The guy that tested my radiator says he only uses the new green stuff.

cleann4kids

Mine was leaking overnite, I fix it

It cost $1.95

Mine was leaking from a line that was capped off and the rubber plug
was bad!

It only took 6 months to find it

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
If you are planning to keep the van they do sell an all aluminum radiator for them. It has aluminum tanks welded on it instead of plastic tanks. 99% of the time it is the plastic tanks that fail. Aluminum radiator concept is great, better cooling more affordable but the concept of plastic tanks was a horrible idea.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
sam miller said:
HARPER said:
http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Silicate-Solution-500ml-P6375C670.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 448AAijwLh

All this talks about is engine leaks in some of these chevys they use plastic radiators, older one I think. They went back to metal.

if its a plastic radiator would glass work??? my 2002 had a cheap plastic radiator.

The replacement is the standard plastic/metal radiator. I'll run it till it leaks. As of today, it's water tight!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
all this talk and i think i have a leak somewhere....it is now showing a little on the ground...but doesnt blow through much in the tank... so i dunno.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

shit i just need to get my loan papers filled out :x :x :x :x :x and see if i can get my new 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I ended up replacing my radiator on my 01 Savannah twice this year (3 times if you count the oem original one being taken out).

Back
Top Bottom