OXY OR ENZYME OR QUAT...OH MY!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Which do you prefer to knock out urine odors?

Do you use a combo of them or just one product?

How do you apply them

OH MY!

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
For severe contamination we apply ups at 4:1 to saturate carpet and pad, agitate, dwell, subsurface extract, subsurface rinse, clean then Multiphase. Only drawback is that it leaves a strong deod odor. We check with the customer before to see if they find the deod. smell overpowering.
Al

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jimmy;

. There are two types of "Enzyme" products used in our industry.

. 1. A spore solution that develops micro-organisms that generate acual enzymes over a given period of time.

. 2. Actual enzymes which are active immediately and in some cases, can be used with oxidizers.

. We use the actual enzymes in conjunction with a powder oxidizer in our Dynachem Odor Attack.

. http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1127
The combination of these two ingredients will provide better odor removal than any product in our industry.
Larry

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
A quat or any disinfectant may kill the bacteria that cause the odor, but unless the source is removed (the urine removed by cleaning), there are plenty more bacteria that will eventually start the decomposition of the urine again and the odor will return.

An oxidizer will work faster than enzyme product, but it requires the use of a lot more moisture. If there are a lot of stains to deal with, all that moisture could be a problem for wood / particle board / OSB subfloor.

In the long run, I think the enzymes will do the best job. But they will not work as fast as an oxidizer.

I have written a training manual on how to successfully deal with urine. Printed versions sell for $10. But I will email a copy to anyone who asks for it. scottw@bridgewatercorp.net Please, put urine in the subject line.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
A quat or any disinfectant may kill the bacteria that cause the odor, but unless the source is removed (the urine removed by cleaning), there are plenty more bacteria that will eventually start the decomposition of the urine again and the odor will return.

Excellent observation, that is all too often overlooked.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
quats have never worked very well from my experience ...now i know why

Oxy has been by far the best for us to cure a myriad of odor problems

..l.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
So Larry do you have to flood the area with your enzyme/oxy like the other products?

I just can't bring myself to flood an area especially if it has that particle board underneath.

I can see doing it when the subfloor is concrete.

Is there a way to mix it and apply as a topical and just saturate an area so as not to damage the particle board?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
So Larry do you have to flood the area with your enzyme/oxy like the other products?

I just can't bring myself to flood an area especially if it has that particle board underneath.

Is there a way to mix it and apply as a topical and just saturate an area so as not to damage the particle board?

I know you're talking to the Cobb Meister
but how can you get to the pad (without disengaging the carpet) without saturating to the subfloor?

BTW, doesn't it take quite a bit of water for a prolonged period of time to do any real damage to OSB or plywood subfloors?

How 'bout a little help from Chavez (or other WD experts that want to weigh in on this)
Will 15 minute oxy flood and dwell followed by water claw do any real damage to OSB??

..l.T.A.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
This guy guarantees odor removal.. I read the label on this product and it starts off saying proprietary ingredients I'm going to give it a shot next week since he sells it a the local disty..

http://www.phdinclean.com/urineremoval.html
I have done about a dozen urine jobs using the cimex as an aplicator.I think the cimex is great for delivering the product to the source.Depending on the situation i will black light it at night after dark to see what i am dealing with.I use Bridgepoints AX132UV Lantern.I first boil 1gal. of water on the stove then put it into the cimex add 6oz.of pet zone (the fizzing will fill the whole cimex tank)go put another gal. of water on the stove while the fizzing settles down.Use a long stick to stir then add 1qt.hydrocide extreme.Once the fizzing settles down go over all the piss areas several time untill you can determin the moister has gone well into the pad.Now that all the piss spots are saturated use petzone the sameway but cut the hydrocide extreme to 1half qt per gal.and sweep the whole room with the cimex to just make the fibers wet.Install lots of airmovers for atleast 24 hrs. Do a double Werner on it after it is bone dry =done. I have never had to redue and i have had the oppertunity to check on some of these jobs up to a month later. I could not ask for more.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
if there is particle board heres what I do pull carpet cut pad treat wood with odor barrier cti replace pad clean top and back of carpet with all fiber rinse or osr.

you can also pull carpet, replace pad, put plastic sheet between carpet and new pad then treat carpet. rinse with all fiber rinse to break up urine salts then use a odorcide type product. reingage carpet and dry. I have left plastic inplace to protect new pad from more accidents also.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I carry all three of them in the truck, there is a place and urine spot for all of them.

Yep, Quat-a-lot has not done anything for me in a urine situation.

Just had one today. It didn't even dent it.
Quat-a-lot works, I usually buy two or three gallons a year.
I carry SS enzymes and also have OSR ( CTI's or Petzone, I am sure Cobb's will also
do a good job).
Sam... send me a PM w/your address and I will send you a pint bottle w/Quat-a-lot.
Luis

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

I can see doing it when the subfloor is concrete.

It depends on the size of the pet offender . . .
Pinpoint the area with our UV light.
Apply enough of the Odor Attack mixture to saturate the carpet and get into the pad.
For a 4" diameter spot, I would use a minimum of ~ 8/12 oz. of liquid.
Let the product dwell for about 10-15 minutes . . .
and extract with a spotting claw.
I would then reapply about 50% of the Odor Attack solution, and extract until the water is clear.
This system will achieve good odor removal results without excessive wetting of the subfloor.
Larry

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I know you're talking to the Cobb Meister
but how can you get to the pad (without disengaging the carpet) without saturating to the subfloor?

BTW, doesn't it take quite a bit of water for a prolonged period of time to do any real damage to OSB or plywood subfloors?

How 'bout a little help from Chavez (or other WD experts that want to weigh in on this)
Will 15 minute oxy flood and dwell followed by water claw do any real damage to OSB?? ..l.T.A.

Not that it answers your question larry,
I assume that the damage is already done to the sub floor and give the client the choice. If we are to have a chance to correct (or at least help) the urine smell, the product needs to get to the pad. If it gets to the pad, it will damage the sun floor. Please sign this release of liability.....

They can always opt to do the whole 5 yards, however once they realize the price difference, they always go for the soak and sign the release.

Now, I'd also like to know the extent of damage it may do to the sub floor.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
OSR works best for me. I do not see Particle board on the floor here Plywood used here.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Now, I'd also like to know the extent of damage it may do to the sub floor.

not enough to be concerned about, me thinks

the glues and binders in OSB aren't water soluble .
It takes quite a bit of standing water for quite some time for the wood chips to absorb enough water to expand.
surely a saturated pad laying on it for 15 minutes won't cause any serious damage

.L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom