Paid referral reward system à la HP and the like?

FredC

Village Idiot
I was just going to post a thread on this....no shit. Well not the HP part.

but I can't say why yet cause I can't find an elegant solution to a major problem

FredC

Village Idiot
"leaks" ....untrackable actions

I was going to say it wouldn't be a problem for carpet cleaners but I guess it would be just not to the extent I'm having the issue in trying to develop a tracking system.

Connor

Name
Connor
FredC said:
"leaks" ....untrackable actions

I was going to say it wouldn't be a problem for carpet cleaners but I guess it would be just not to the extent I'm having the issue in trying to develop a tracking system.

Can't you just ask "how'd you hear about us?" or "Were you referred by a friend?" and write that down when you take the customer's info?

FredC

Village Idiot
you could....not a very elegant solution for my purposes

Connor

Name
Connor
FredC said:
you could....not a very elegant solution for my purposes

How about if you asked it with an English accent? 8)

How elegant does it need to be? I watched the HP video and it looked like a good idea, but HP is smoothie and can make anything seem like a good idea.

Could you explain your hangups about the referral rewards idea?

FredC

Village Idiot
I don't have hangups with referral rewards.........a good idea but probably not for everyone

again.....my reasons for asking if anyone uses it are different than trying to determine if I would use it personally. I already use affiliate programs for some of my products/services.

Remember I'm not a carpet cleaner.

Connor

Name
Connor
FredC said:
Remember I'm not a carpet cleaner.

Ah, no, I didn't know that. I ain't a carpet cleaner either. I am a plumber.

Now, I gotta ask you, why would a ___________ wanna hang out with a bunch of carpet cleaners?

I've been hearing that one for years. lol.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm not a carpet cleaner either... I'm a marketing guy who happens to clean carpet.... Although I was a carpet cleaner for years so I know how to do it. !gotcha!

FredC

Village Idiot
Connor said:
FredC said:
Now, I gotta ask you, why would a ___________ wanna hang out with a bunch of carpet cleaners?

I've been hearing that one for years. lol.
cause I cleaned carpet for a while when I was younger. Then after I left a job a few years ago I needed another one so I bought a CC truck and did that for a while to fill the gap and maybe even turn it into something. I've since moved on but still visit the forum......

Connor

Name
Connor
I must say that many of the folks drawn to the industry are fascinating. I've been on and banned from a few forums, but CCing has the best variety of folks and experiences and are probably the most hospitable bunch. ('cept for that guy chavez, he won't take my calls) :cry:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
And we always have one psychopath running around at one time or another spouting conspiracy theories and being a general PITA cry baby. :mrgreen:

Ok, that was too much... You know I love you Connor. !gotcha!

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
After every cleaning give the customer 3 referral cards (they can get more if they want)that entitles bearer to a specific discount, (Howard's is 100SF free) and he calls it a "Free Trial Offer". It has a line at the bottom for your customer to put their name. Your customer gives these to people they refer to you, they present you the card to get special offer, you take the card back and send that person their reward, Howard's is 10% of invoice total. They can either get cash or use it on future services or give it to someone else to use for services.I have used it it does work but you really have to talk it up to get the best results which I didn't.

You do have to be sure your pricing will allow you to give that 10% to someone I have written checks for $50.00 or more.
Joe P says give a $10.00 reward, either cash or gift card or something like that.
I referred a realtor to one of my customers and she sent me a gift card from Lowes, I liked that and think that I will use it in the future just losely based on the 10% rule.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Brian R said:
It's a scam

Ok, explain to us why you think that this is a scam? HP claims to get over 60k in new business every month using this "scam".

Connor

Name
Connor
Doug D said:
[quote="Brian R":24cltvnm]It's a scam

Ok, explain to us why you think that this is a scam? HP claims to get over 60k in new business every month using this "scam".[/quote:24cltvnm]

Shhh, don't feed the trolls.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doug D said:
[quote="Brian R":27zd7y5v]It's a scam

Ok, explain to us why you think that this is a scam? HP claims to get over 60k in new business every month using this "scam".[/quote:27zd7y5v]

I was just feeding into ConnOr's conspiracy theories.

I didn't mean it Howy if you're lookin.

dgargan

I have used it for years. Works for us. I have had some referral sources who received received over $500 so I had to give them a 1099

Connor

Name
Connor
dgargan said:
I have used it for years. Works for us. I have had some referral sources who received received over $500 so I had to give them a 1099

How do you let the customer know that you pay for referrals?

F

FB7777

dgargan said:

I hope you're kidding David, I would be quite annoyed if I was receiving a referral reward and then discovered I was going to have to record in on my taxes

To avoid that, you could always offer them $25 Gift cards to places of their choice... this way you can write off the gift cards and not stick someone else with the tax liability for their cash referrals

dgargan

Wish I was kidding. My accountant caught this when doing my taxes. I didnt know i had paid out that much. We have taken steps to prevent this so it doesn't happen anymore. Where you have to be careful is when dealing with realtors and flooring stores and referral sources who have the ability to refer you a lot of high dollar work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom