Paint drips, dribbles, splats and smears.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I swear I get the feeling that I play follow up to every hack painter in my city. Every freshly painted unit I get the pleasure of cleaning is fill of drips and dribbles. Lazy MF'ers can't comprehend the concept of a drop cloth.

I have no problem getting most of the paint out, most of the time, the problem is I find myself either assuming it will come right off, or fooling myself that it's not too much (Trying to be the nice guy) and wind up spending too much time on site trying to do the right thing.

After today, no more Mister Nice Guy.:hopeless:
I'd rather peel gum off all day.

I need to work on my dialogue in addressing paint issues, and have to charge for it accordingly.
Anybody have any creative ways to charge for dealing with abundant paint drips and some good dialogue??
Seems the only obvious way to charge is to estimate the amount of extra time it's going to take, but that's hit or miss because it seems some paints are a PITA to get up.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
How do you deal with it? I spray paint spots with Goof-Off, dwell, and and steam out and can usually make a huge improvement in short order.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have a couple like this.. When I started with them I would get them out, but it was taking WAY too long to do it for what I was getting to clean them.

Maybe you should suggest if he doesn't like it find another painter!! I'll give my best on something that looks like a mistake, but cleaning up after sloppy work is not my problem..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
How do you deal with it? I spray paint spots with Goof-Off, dwell, and and steam out and can usually make a huge improvement in short order.

Very hot water is not one of my luxuries. I would think it would make it a little easier.

Goof-off is what I use followed by a scrub with a damp rag and a rinse. First shot does usually soften it up, but usually just smears it, and I usually must repeat several times (goof-scrub-rinse) until completely gone. Again, some times I run into a paint that requires 3-4 cycles like this as opposed to 1-2. It does not sound like a lot but when some slob leaves drips and smears all over, it adds up to a lot of extra time and frustration on my knees.

Since this IS the business I have chosen, I accept doing what has to be done to get the job done correctly.... I just want to get paid for the extra work, and I have made the mistake of letting it slip too often, so I am trying to work on a dialogue (especially for phone estimates) and pricing structure so I avoid an potential uncomfortable moment with a last minute unexpected price hike.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Maybe you should suggest if he doesn't like it find another painter!!

Trust me I would love to, but I am yet in the position to let anything get away.
I just want to be able to get paid accordingly, and intelligently justify the extra work without making it seem like a last minute surprise.
I am going to try to make it a point from now on, especiallyon any phone calls regarding empties, to inquire about any paint, so everyone is conscious of the possibility of extra fees,and be sure to thoroughly point out every damn spot upon inspection.
Is it just that we are so accustomed to staring at carpet in all day, or is everyone else just blind and stupid.:hopeless:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
hot water won't touch latex paint once it's cured
and you buy quart of xylene (the main ingredient in Goo Off) for the same price as a 4oz can of the chit

but if you're going to use flammable noxious poisons to remove cured latex paint, quit with the kid stuff and buy a qt of lacquer thinner

the way we stopped the painters ?
told the prop manager how much it would cost from now on to fix something that's EASILY prevented in the first place .

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I wish these were all from a prop manager, or the same person. Then at least I would have someone that I could address it with and follow up with.

Problem is these are all just random first time customers, mostly moving into new places that have been painted as part of the turnover process, and they have yet to really take the time and take a good look at the carpet, but sure as hell, they will be sure to give it a long thorough look when I'm finished.
From now on when I hear "new apt", I think PAINT.

Ill check out the Xylene.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ill check out the Xylene.

in the paint dept next to the mineral spirits
like $18 bukz and GALLON I think
next to it will be the lacquer thinner .

it smellz bedder than xylene ..and the toluene in lacquer thinner will give you a buzzzzzz

:shifty::very_drunk:

oh yea..and extinguish all open flAmes ..no smoking either...

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Rubbing alcohol will dissolve latex paint and is less likely to cause delamination.
If more than the occasional paint splatter, I explain that I'll have to charge them by the hour (figure out what hourly you need.)
Even if they don't go for it, they become considerably less perfectionist.

I think everybody here is sick and tired of the painters or owners that do nothing to protect the carpet. The owners assume that water will dissolve it, the painters should know better. It just awfully nice to let somebody else deal with the consequences of their negligence.
I suggest to the owners that they deduct the extra cost from the painters pay.

The good painters here, leave the carpet spotless, a sure sign of professionalism. I always make a point to praise those to the owners. They paid more and they got a superior job. Funny, those that leave the carpet spotless also do much better preparations and the paint does not flake off just when being lightly touched by the wand.

I guess, just as in carpet leaning, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art Kelley

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The problem I have if it takes out latex paint and they use latex glue to hold the carpet together you have to be really careful.

I love people who say its water based! Not when it's dry it's freaking glue!

Ps I use a carpet knife and flick and use some citrus and what come out comes out

Mick E

I have used a Washboard Slide (which unfortunately is only made to fit the Prochem Quadjet wand) to remove paint.
The agitation that can be achieved when using this slide, has to been seen to be believed.
I am pretty certain Frank Preo, from the Advantage Group in Aust did a test on this slide somewhere.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
If more than the occasional paint splatter, I explain that I'll have to charge them by the hour (figure out what hourly you need.)
Even if they don't go for it, they become considerably less perfectionist.

That's pretty much what I am going to do from now on.

I have to try to remember that the customer is totally ignorant regarding the procedure, what to expect, and does not "see" what you "see", and it's allways better to explain every detail and set every expectation to them as if they were children.

Frank;

We have a couple of products to quickly take that paint out:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=2901

and our POG which smells a lot better:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde...ription=1&keyword=Paint+Oil+&+Grease+Remover+

Both of them have less chance of delamination than a citrus solvent.

Larry

Thanks Larry, ill give your POG a try.

I have used a Washboard Slide (which unfortunately is only made to fit the Prochem Quadjet wand) to remove paint.
The agitation that can be achieved when using this slide, has to been seen to be believed.
I am pretty certain Frank Preo, from the Advantage Group in Aust did a test on this slide somewhere.

Whudda'u know...I happen to run a PCQuad.
Any links on any info regarding that would be sweet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom