Passenger van with truckmount?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I’m looking for almost new E-350 Cargo van but all I can find are passenger vans (E-series wagon). What kind of issues would I run into converting one for truck mount use other than pulling out the seats and carpet?

Name
R.J. Povio
You actually will benefit. The E series wagon has all windows on the sides meaning more ventilation on hot days so TM will run cooler. Hopefully you do not live in a bad area where people can break in. Van will look like a Stanley Steemer van. You will have front and REAR A/C and heat. Def take out the carpet and put in the rubber floor instead. The wagon series also come loaded with power everything and chrome bumpers. The suspension is the same. The tires may be LT225 instead of the LT245s but that you can change when you need new tires. Brakes are the same.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Correct, but they also hold a higher value - at least what I have seen in our region.

Maybe you can craigslist the interior to get some back, but the cargo's are typically less dough.

And I'll be damned - there are virtually no e-350's on the used market right now......

I bought from these guys before, flew down, drove home - was happy with the van and they had a lot full of what looked to be solid vans

http://www.centurytrucks.com/Used/ECONOLINE_E350_POWERSTROKE_DIESEL_EXTENDED_WORK_VAN_ADRIAN_BIN_PACKAGE_BULKHEAD/Grand%20Prairie_TX/LISTING-19655730/VehicleDetails.aspx?Dealer-1487

http://www.centurytrucks.com/Used/E...TING-19713269/VehicleDetails.aspx?Dealer-1487

http://www.centurytrucks.com/Used/_...TING-19757088/VehicleDetails.aspx?Dealer-1487

Chris A

Name
Chris
Check enterprise used car sales, they usually have window vans for sale.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Check your measurements, I thought my local distributors said he had to pull and cap off the ac/heater unit because it wasn't giving him enough room for a side door install.

Becker

Name
Becker
I use a e350 Econ xlt, Brent dill did, waffles does.

Visibility is nice, they are chomed up and loaded with more options.

Works fine, and honestly was cheaper than a cargo.

As for holding value. Unless you reinstall all the seats belts etc I'd question it holding value better than a cargo.

Buck1955

Name
John
I had a 350 passenger van with a Butler in it. They had to tweak the mounting brackets for the tanks, but that was the only diff. I really liked all the bells and whistles on that van. I put vinyl with holes over the rear glass so it looked like a cargo but you could still see out and light came in.

Name
I'm Rick James
My back up van, which I used for many years is an E150 half ton and works perfectly. The windows are tinted and do help ventilate during the hot days. My equipment is just as heavy as majority of peoples and the only down side is you go through brakes a little quicker.

I just pulled out the carpet and seats, sold them online.. I left the side panels and ceiling intact which are insulated making it great for winter months.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
My back up van, which I used for many years is an E150 half ton and works perfectly. The windows are tinted and do help ventilate during the hot days. My equipment is just as heavy as majority of peoples and the only down side is you go through brakes a little quicker.

I just pulled out the carpet and seats, sold them online.. I left the side panels and ceiling intact which are insulated making it great for winter months.

What if anything did you use for a floor covering and where did you get it?
2011 e350 wagon is on its way to me.

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
I bought a 1999 GMC passenger van with 10k mi. It was a long wheelbase with electric windows and locks. Strange thing was it had no windows in the cargo area and was never set up for passengers. There were no issues when I had a Dynachem unit installed. Before the installation I did the do it yourself "Rhinoliner ". The bed liner held up really well for about 10 years but was a PITA to apply. Especially the prep work. The next van I paid to have the liner applied. Good bed liner works great.

Becker

Name
Becker

I took out all the carpet, installed plywood and marine or garage grade carpet over that.

Works great for me.

I used the bolts for the seats to secure the plywood.

Reactions: ACE
Name
I'm Rick James

Like Don.. I just used plywood and got some carpet that is commonly used in installs. I got all that for about $50 from Home Depot.. stapled it to the wood. Looks good.

Reactions: ACE

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
nice

you're putting a slide in in and not a direct drive, right??..

..L.T.A.

Yes, a new El Diablo. I’m sick of wrenching on old setups. If it needs work down the road, everything is very easy to get to and I understand the machine. I’m putting the White Magic, Steamway in a box and a legend that needs rebuilt on ebay soon.
Thanks Becker and Brent that just what I will do.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I like the idea of the visibility while driving. I worked for SS many years ago and you could see much better

Name
R.J. Povio
Go to a junk yard. You could probably get the factory rubber cargo mat for peanuts. The factory rubber floor covering on top of good plywood is great for noise, insulation, and kneeling on and rolling a porty across. The OEM rubber floor is super durable and hard to rip, crack and or tear. I have a 2001 E350 with the original rubber floor in it...its still in great shape. You can hose it out to once in a while pretty easily too. I would not get marine carpet over the rubber flooring ever.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We used 3/4 marine board and then take a couple of 2x4's screw down behind the seats and one on the other side of the side door opening as a water barrier, shoot the whole thing with rino liner including the rocker panel and side door step.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Pull the carpet and Line-X the floor. We found that it's way better to be able to clean the truck out and move stuff easily than to have a comfy (stinky) carpeted place to kneel the very few times anyone does that. Anything laid on the floor will hold water under it and hasten the floor rusting out.

The perforated vinyl wrap is a great idea. You get the benefits of windows without your truck looking like an old airport shuttle.

Name
BradFenstermaker
same as a cargo except look and see where the A/C unit is for the Rear. My dodge Pass Van was fine with the Powermatice because I could unbolt that frame corner by the burner.

Or measure front to rear of TM and measure van floor.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I went with the ¾” treated plywood and outdoor carpet.
I would like to see the vinyl on your passanger vans to get some ideas.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
2vans.jpg

The black van is a window van. The people that letter your van can put the the same color vinyl on the windows as your van for cheap. It helps it to not look like a church van.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom