Payday Fiasco

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Have to file this under no good deed goes unpunished....

Payday is thursday after 3pm, well somewhere along the line i started handing out checks sometimes early on wednesday.
Big, Big mistake!

Now every wednesday and thursday morning my cell phone blows the hell up with phone calls from people asking if they can grab their check early.

Once you crack that door open even slightly and start making exceptions to policy....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've been there! Some have good reasons but if they worked for some large corp they couldn't ask for it early. Plus before you know it half the company wants it early. Had to say I can't do it anymore, NO early checks......except mine of course.

I pay Dan, myself an my mother on Thursdays, Friday is regular payday for everyone else.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Have to start doing that, always put everyone else first and me last.

Its all about me dammit.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree you really need to take care of #1 first but if receivables were tight that week I'd always pay the employees and make it up to myself later.

My wife would probably kill me but you have to pay those doing the work. ;)

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Have to file this under no good deed goes unpunished....

Payday is thursday after 3pm, well somewhere along the line i started handing out checks sometimes early on wednesday.
Big, Big mistake!

Now every wednesday and thursday morning my cell phone blows the hell up with phone calls from people asking if they can grab their check early.

Once you crack that door open even slightly and start making exceptions to policy....

One of several reason I went to a payroll company to handle the checks. There was no point in asking me for check early or an advance. It was out of my hands.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
One of several reason I went to a payroll company to handle the checks. There was no point in asking me for check early or an advance. It was out of my hands.
I hate to admit it, Shane, but Scotty has a good idea there.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS My loan officer hid behind "The loan committee turned you down, Steve. It is out of my hands!" for years. You might as well use the same principle.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I used the "it screws up the accountant to do that" a couple of times but in the end I just told them the truth.

If I do it for you then everyone else is going to want it and before you know it eveyone will want to be paid on Thursday......and that's MY DAY!

CameronC

Name
Cameron Cummings
Something you may consider is charging them 5-10 bucks to get their check early. I have a local customer that is a very large painting contractor, they allow their employees to get their checks early but they charge them I believe 10 bucks. They then put the money in a special account, they had enough money in that account here recently to completely remodel their offices. Most people who want it early would be happy to pay a small amount to get it in advance. Something to think about.

Connor

Name
Connor
One of my competitors charges an "administration fee" to his employees for handling their checks and stuff.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk: Is that legal? You'd be in the pay day loan business before ya know it! :pig:

My luck they would sue me for allowing them to have their check early. :icon_neutral:

Connor

Name
Connor
I guess it's legal, but I don't think I'd put up with it. I used to work for him in the 90's and he's paying his people less than what I was making in 99.

Connor

Name
Connor
I hit the ten year mark last June.

and I gotta tell ya, if I knew then, what I knew now..... I would have gone to medical school.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

and I gotta tell ya, if I knew then, what I knew now..... I would have gone to medical school.
But then you'd still be paying back student loans.
Doctor...........Plumber, you didn't fall that far. :eekk:

You could have fallen further and been a carpet cleaner like the rest of us broken toys. :winky:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith

Yeah, we all probably would have taken our schooling a lot more seriously. Youth is wasted on the young and impetuous.

Take care,
Lisa

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

We actually do use paychex, i receive them in mail on wednesday and sometimes will hand them out early.
Good God, nobody would ever see a paychek if i did all that admin stuff in-house.

Time for direct deposit anyway, already part of the bank package we are in.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its' not that bad, have your accountant set it up.

Once setup it's a breeze, provided I have the time sheets to me, I can do paychecks for 25-people in 20-30 minutes unless there is lots of OT or bonuses that week, then 45-minutes to 1-hour.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Its' not that bad, have your accountant set it up.

Once setup it's a breeze, provided I have the time sheets to me, I can do paychecks for 25-people in 20-30 minutes unless there is lots of OT or bonuses that week, then 45-minutes to 1-hour.
On a related subject, Richard:

I know you would trust any of your techs with your life :) but have you looked into "biometric" time clocks? They clock in with their finger print which eliminates the infamous 'buddy punching". SFS members tell me they pay for the clock in a few months (they're not that expensive) with the time savings.

Steve

PS They also feed straight into QuickBooks which might get your very onerous payroll duties down to 10-15 minutes!

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I'd not recommend charging anything for advances, nor interest on loans. It is illegal.

Gray area state by state for deductions on damaged / lost / equipment while in their charge.

[h=2]Cash Advances/Loans[/h]
  • It is legal under the Fair Labor Standards Act for an employer to advance an employee his pay ahead of schedule or provide a personal loanicon1.png for the employee. The employer may deduct loan payments from an employee's paycheck or withhold employee pay to make up for the advanced amount. Under these circumstances, wage deductions may take an employee's pay below the federal minimum wage. It is illegal for an employer to charge a financing fee or interest on a pay advance or personal loan to an employee

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm real pissed at myself for doing it one time, now it's every week! Payday is Friday for me, but we would be working past the time that his bank was open so I made it Thursday, now it's Wednesday:icon_redface:, and he has asked if I could do it once on Tuesday..:eekk:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
On a related subject, Richard:

I know you would trust any of your techs with your life :) but have you looked into "biometric" time clocks? They clock in with their finger print which eliminates the infamous 'buddy punching". SFS members tell me they pay for the clock in a few months (they're not that expensive) with the time savings.

Steve

PS They also feed straight into QuickBooks which might get your very onerous payroll duties down to 10-15 minutes!
I have Time Clock plus, you use magnetic cards, loads right into the software on your PC (mine is a 8-year old version) not sure if the new version would load into QB?

My problem with it is all the "On Call", Sewage, Mold, BioRecovery bonuses have to be entered manually. When clocking in they can code in what service they are working on for the day or hour. We talked about the Biometrics but never did go that far.

Reports are nice and easy, just set your date range.

TimeClockPlusReport.jpg

Back
Top Bottom